PSU Opinions...

Hey guys and girls,
I'm very comfortable with most aspects of computer hardware, uncluding PSUs. Now, I've been an Antec follower since a couple of my friends made an impression on me. I've used them for years, and had good and bad results.
My only really bad result was with a True Power 430w PSU. It served me well for nearly two years, and then faulted. It was either due to a short on the motherboard, or a surge in the PSU, but in any case it fried both my Motherboard and PSU.

Before I start to ramble (start..?), I'd like to get to my question: Is there, in your opinion, a more reliable, or at least on par, PSU manufacturer than Antec? I'd just love to hear some opinions, and recommendations.

I'm looking for something greater than 430w, but less than 600w. I've been looking at mostly Antec, and want something that delivers a lot of amperage per rail, and has very stable voltage (i.e. doesn't fluctuate very much, feeds the correct amount of voltage to CPU, RAM).
I'm an overclocker, and would love to find the best power supply for overclocking!

Thank you all in advance.
16 answers Last reply
More about opinions
  1. Of course there is always something better out there than Antec. The question is, if your comfortable using Antec, why switch? They have good units and are very comparable to other good names. My general rule of thumb is, if I find a brand that works well, use it and don't lose it.

I'm sure others may disagree but Antec makes a quality unit IMO. Stick with em.
  2. OCZ makes excellent PSU's, power and mod streams. however, if you want the absolute best-hands down go with the pc power&cooling 510.
  3. Thanks for the replys, guys.
  4. I have used several PSU's and searched for the cheapest Top Quality PSU available. For the past 3 years, that answer for me has been Antec True Power series.
    I have used the TP 430, 480 and recently the TPII 550watt PSU for $89.
    I have found them very stable and quiet.
    I recommend them as a minimum for a quality PSU, and to go with another, I am sure it will cost significantly more than $90, so I see no reason until my finances allow me money to burn.
  5. Quote:
    I have used several PSU's and searched for the cheapest Top Quality PSU available. For the past 3 years, that answer for me has been Antec True Power series.
    I have used the TP 430, 480 and recently the TPII 550watt PSU for $89.
    I have found them very stable and quiet.
    I recommend them as a minimum for a quality PSU, and to go with another, I am sure it will cost significantly more than $90, so I see no reason until my finances allow me money to burn.

RichPLS what is your build specs?
  6. Coolermaster, OCZ, and Seasonic also make very good PSUs. I just bought a Coolermaster Real Power 450W and it's deadly silent, the only noise coming from my computer is my graphics card.
  7. I like SeaSonic S12 series... got a 330 and 430. :) You might want the 500W SLI-certified one or if you know you don't really need one closer to 600W and want a cheaper one then 430W is a good choice also. :)

How well voltage is regulated, how noisy, how hot, how efficient, etc can't be easily measured by the watt rating on every PSU and price tag. :)
  8. Lian Li PC-60plus Black Aluminum Case (w/TR-3B Black Thermometer/Fan Controller 3.5” bay)
    Opteron 175 (2x 2.42 GHz, 2MB cache, Socket 939, .09 micron, E6 stepping, OSA175DAA6CD)
    ThermalTake BigWaterSE 12cm liquid cooling system complete kit
    Asus A8R-MVP Motherboard (ATI Radeon Xpress 200 CrossFire, socket 939, SATA2)
    HiS X1800XT Graphics Card (625 MHz/700 MHz OC core/1500 Mhz/1600 MHz OC mem, Dual DL-DVI VIVO 512 MB PCIe)
    ATI TV Theater 550 PRO Tuner (PCI TV and FM Tuner)
    4x 512MB Corsair Micro Xpert DDR RAM (2-3-3-8-2T (spd 2-2-2-5-1T) TwinXP 1024-3200XL)
    2x 74gig Western Digital Raptor Hard Drives RAID-0 (WD740GD RAID0 150gig Boot Drive)
    2x 250gig Western Digital Caviar SE16 Hard Drives (WD2500KS storage and data)
    Plextor 716AL Black 16x DVD/CD Burner (IDE slot loading type)
    Antec TP-II 550 Power Supply (550 Watt ATX12V v2.0 PSU)
    Dell 2405FPW 24-inch LCD Monitor (UltraSharp Wide Aspect Flat Panel Display)
    Logitech G-15 Gaming Keyboard
    Logitech Cordless Optical TrackMan
    Case Fans (SilenX 120mm intake, Adda 120mm exhaust blower, SilenX 92mm exhaust and SilenX 80mm Fan)
  9. Options other than Antec are Enermax, Seasonic, Zalman, and Fortron. PC Power and Cooling are excellent but $$$$$.
  10. Hmm... Yeah id suggest a Seasonic s12 500W or lower. I have heard alot of good things about their PSU's and will soon have 600W one myself.
  11. Quote:
    Hmm... Yeah id suggest a Seasonic s12 500W or lower. I have heard alot of good things about their PSU's and will soon have 600W one myself.

What is this guys budget and motherboard he'll use it on, anyway?
  12. Quote:
    Hey guys and girls,
    I'm very comfortable with most aspects of computer hardware, uncluding PSUs.

I did not read past your first sentance. The bolded word should be "including"
  13. I just acquired a Fortron Epsilon SLI and Crossfire ready 700w it also comes in a 600w, this is one of the most well made P/Ss I've ever owned and the list is long, the cables look so neat someone actually sat down and put some thought into their exit from the casing.

Each line is easily long enough even for a full tower case, the lines are sleeved, cable tied, and sealed with heatshrink tape, excellent workmanship, it has one huge cooling fan, voltages are on the money.

This is the first P/S I've owned that when I opened the box and saw it for the first time and examined it, I just said WOW and its painted with blue metalflake, looks real nice in a clear windowed case, and its also fairly quiet to boot!

Excellent product from Fortron! KUDOS GUYS
  14. That's overkill.
  15. I bought a Seasonic S12 600w and couldn't be more satisfied. This thing is rock solid but a bit pricey. Very much worth it though. The only thing I don't like is the lack of modular connectors. Fortron or Seasonic would be my choices.
  16. Ok, again, he wants a cheap ass PSU. He doesn't need a freaking 600 watt powerhouse for a 3800 and a 9200...350 watt could cut it, actually.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components