eVGA vs. BFG Battle

neveruseaol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Alright, here is my predicament. I have read through all of the sticky guides and every website from a to z, but I still can't figure out which of either an eVGA card or a BFG card people are more satisfied with.

I know eVGA tends to out perform BFG (by however little), but I know BFG has great support for the card and a lifetime warranty. I also know many people are going to say that it is up to me whether I want the extra performance or the warranty. Just need some ideas.

I was going to go with two 7800GT's, but after reading another thread it seems like the best bet would be get one 7800GTX now and down the line pick up another. If I could get a comment on this issue too I would greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately ATI is out of the question for me. I have owned 3 ATI cards and encountered many issues. I know it was probably just luck of the draw, but what can you do.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

Sincerley,
DC

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
just be patient.......the 7900 whatever is coming out as soon as march/april, which will drop prices of all the existing cards. And supposedly june/july the G80 drops. Just watch and wait.

neveruseaol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
very cool, thanks for the input. I dont mind getting one of the cards now, i have a PCIe mobo coming but no video card, so i was just wondering what i should do for now. that rocks though, i will definately take your advice and just get one gtx now and one down the road when they drop in price (this will stop me from getting a 7900 or the G80...).

any more input would be great.

Thanks,
DC

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Lol, waiting for things to drop in price is retarded, believe me. Unless you want to wait a freaking year, don't expect to save more than 30 bucks tops...I waited for the X1800 series/7800's to come out and 6800GT prices didn't change a bit =/
...they still have hardly changed at all.
Look at the FX55/FX57 prices. They were SUPPOSED to dramatically decrease with the release of the FX60, but they never went below the $800 (I would consider picking up a '55 if they went below 400, they still rule all when it comes to liquid nitrogen)

Reign_Of_Chaos

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
I posted this elsewhere in these forums, about how EVGA's policy is slightly different than other GFX companies. The way it differs from XFX's, or any other graphics card manufacturers', is the fact that EVGA will replace the card for any reason except deliberate physical damage. That means that if you accidentally damage your card by excessive overclocking, EVGA will replace it for the cost of shipping.
From Evga web
Quote:
For all of our Retail Products, EVGA is now offering a Lifetime Warranty program. With the rest of the product line still covered under the excellent
1+1 Warranty, you'll be sure to receive a warranty that will fit your needs.
Either or, you cant go wrong. But i feel inclined to go with Evga because yea, i do like to OC.

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
it depends if you like customer service and warranty go for bfg if you want to oc like crazy and still have warranty get an evga card. but stay away from xfx they suck more than a gay vampire(i want to suck your c**k)! :lol:

here's a short list the best and worst card maker's for nvidia and ati chipset's
nvidia
1. bfg
2.evga
3.leadtek
4.asus
5.aopen
6.gigabyte
7.msi
8.pny
9.xfx
10.biostar

ati
1.sapphire(sapphire tech support is a little better than ati's)
2.ati
3.his
4.asus/gigabyte
5.msi
6.powercolor
7.connect3d
8.diamond
(i'm only listing the brands i have had expierience with)
sorry guy's had a headache when i first wrote this post forgot who was who for a second.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know you said no ATI but right now the price segment you are in is owned by ATI with the x1900 XT. 2x7800 GT would be silly. If you must stick with NVidia I'd wait for the 7900. It should be out in a few months. Right now the only nVidia card that has price/perfomance is in the middle to high end is the single 7800 GT. If you want more, a single ATI x1900 XT is the only way to go at $499.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131006

Oops! all out, you waited too long....

Don't worry they will get more.

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
BFG usually has out-of-the-box OC'ed cards, which is a plus IF you can find it for around same price as other manufacturers. If you can't, it's probably not a good idea to go with BFG for the minimal increase in performance.

I don't know why, but for BFG's 6800GS, they used an aluminum heatsink rather than the copper one that's used on the reference board and by all the other manufacturers. Not sure if this applies to their 7800 line, but this might be a sign that BFG's quality is decreasing.

eVGA is usually the cheapest, which is always a good thing. Now, they are even offering retail OC'ed card (their CO Superclocked cards) which will definately appeal to the gamer market.

Both of these brands are very good. If you want great performance for usually the cheapest price, go with eVGA.

illicitsc

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
it depends if you like customer service and warranty go for bfg if you want to oc like crazy and still have warranty get an evga card. but stay away from xfx they suck more than a gay vampire(i want to suck your c**k)! :lol:

here's a short list the best and worst card maker's for nvidia and ati chipset's
nvidia
1. bfg
2.evga
3.leadtek
4.asus
5.aopen
6.gigabyte
7.msi
8.pny
9.xfx
10.biostar

ati
1.sapphire(sapphire tech support is a little better than ati's)
2.ati
3.his
4.asus/gigabyte
5.connect3d
6.powercolor
7.msi
8.powercolor
(I'M ONLY LISTING THE ONES THAT I HAVE HAD EXPERIENCE WITH...)

WTF??? u are a RETARD?? y the fuck is connect3d so dam hi
and leadtek..dont make statements without backing them. and u still dont punctuate for shit

ps: dual cards are not a good idea cuz new singles always beat em. dual 7800gts used to be the ownage but now they suck for the money to the x1900

MTLink

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Leadtek is good, they've shown many quality cards over the past year or two, especially their 6600GTs.

XFX should not be that low. Factory OC'ed cards PLUS a DOUBLE-LIFETIME warranty, meaning you get a lifetime warranty and also the first person you sell it to. AOpen shouldn't be that high, they make good cards but I wouldn't go with them over XFX, G-Byte, MSI, or PNY. And what about Chaintech? You forgot them.

neveruseaol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Wow, I am impressed by all of the responses all of the sudden. Guess that is what happens when you can't do this stuff at work like me. Anyhow, it is still a toss up between BFG and eVGA, on newegg.com, BFG is cheaper plus i get a free tshirt (cant beat that) and a copy of CoD2.

But the catch...they are all out of cards at the time being, sucks...

eVGA policy is kind of nice though, does BFG replace the card for any reason to? or is it just if it is a manufacturer flaw?

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
just get whatever is cheapest. if you want to blow the extra cash, get evga, but unless you are retarded you probably won't need a warranty, and its not like anybody could possibly know if you overclocked...
cod2 is quite nice, however.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
eVga also has the step-up program....if you want to upgrade within 90 days of purchase, they will credit you full price paid for trade-in cards.

Fritz

neveruseaol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
alright, i did it, i ended up going with the bfg 7800gtx 256mb PCIe.

actually just purchased all of my computer components, here is what i am looking at:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+
CoolerMaster Hyper 6+
2 x 1GB Corsair XMS Pro CL2 (PC3200)
BFG GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB PCIe

the rest of the stuff i already am satisfied with (i.e. hdd, sound, optical, psu)

thanks for all the input and help.

sincerely,
DC

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
Rofl my brand new rig is so similar

Asus A8N32-SLI
AMD 4400+
2 x 1GB Corsair 3500 XMS Pro
2 x eVga 7800 GTX 256

I just went for the lower AMD and upgraded the RAM a little. O/C will prolly net us an even. But I did have the $ for a 2nd v-card.

Fritz

BTW

I LOVE MUSHKIN!!!!!!!!!!

(even though i went for corsair this time)

neveruseaol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
Yes i did, thank you much. It was actually my brother that owns a bfg card that talked me into it. works for me. dont plan on overclocking till down the line and this kind of machine was what i was thinking about all along.

thanks again,
DC