Sign in with
Your question

Which RAID to use on ASUS A8-N DELUXE MOBO

Last response: in Storage
February 9, 2006 5:24:14 PM

Hello-

I have an ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE and it has two raid controlers, each with 4 SATA inputs.

One is part of the Nvidia chipset, the other is an additional.

Which one should I use to set up my Raid 0 array?

is one better than the other?

More about : raid asus deluxe mobo

February 9, 2006 5:59:06 PM

Answer: you don't want any kind of RAID at all, unless it's RAID1. Raid0 is the dumbest thing ever. Feel free to investigate it at your own risk. I guarantee if you go with RAID0 you will regret the day you did.

If you want fast, buy a Raptor 150GB: it's faster than RAID0.
February 9, 2006 7:00:37 PM

Mobius.... do you work for Western Digital or something? This is the 3rd post I have seen where you have said the exact same thing when peeps ask about RAID.

What if the RAID 0 was 2 Raptor 150's? What if the RAID was named.... "Ditka"?

Seriously, the only risk with RAID 0 is that you have a greater chance of losing all your data... if 1 drive goes.. it all does.

I suggest you read this article.... http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/06/wd1500ad_raptor_...

It talks about pro's and cons's and ALSO evaluates the new Raptor :) 

Cheers...
Related resources
February 9, 2006 7:19:22 PM

Ditka.....lol....that made my day!

thanks
February 9, 2006 7:34:26 PM

Preecher: mobius is right on the money, although he fails to provide adequate support. In terms of the toms' article...sorry to say, but they are addressing only theoretical throughput in their tests. Its all fine and dandy but has, apparently, very little to do with real life scenarios (on a desktop computer).

I would refer you to this thread where I posted some links and opinions on this very topic.

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam...

It is actually funny to see everyone trumpet RAID 0 as the best thing out there (including even reputable firms like Alienware) based on maximum throughput benchmarking that are hardly at all reflective of actual usage. At least I can understand Alienware's motivations - they get to make money off of people who actually buy it from them. Motivations of people who keep recommending it to the masses under the pretense of expertise are less transparent.
February 9, 2006 7:43:16 PM

mfusick: Growing forgetful in my old age. Was so preoccupied with responding to mobius' remarks, forgot to say something relevant to your question. I'll admit, I have not looked up your mobo, but I know that some of the earlier nF4 boards with dual controllers had SATAII supported by nF4 and only SATA(I) supported by the other one - so that's a point in favor of nF4 (even though, let's face it, I don't think that makes very much difference, if at all, on available drives). Now, I would go to nVidia's boards and search nVRAID, or something similar, as I recall some people complaining about nVidia's IDE drivers and system instability.

Personally, I have had no problems with the nF4 controller.
February 9, 2006 8:55:42 PM

Quote:
Hello-

I have an ASUS A8N SLI DELUXE and it has two raid controlers, each with 4 SATA inputs.

One is part of the Nvidia chipset, the other is an additional.

Which one should I use to set up my Raid 0 array?

is one better than the other?

It is quite surprising that people are answering the questions without understanding what it is about!

It appear that MOBIUS really felt hard on his head, with crap he is posting!

A far as MoBo the better choice for 8 U$ dollars more is ASUS A8N SLI Premium with heat pipe instead of cooling fan.

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe (Premium) has two RAID Controllers nVidia nForce 4 (4 black ports) and Silicon Image 3114 (4 red ports).

A8N SLI DLX

The nVidia nForce 4 is the primery SATA / RAID controler.
You can ONLY boot system from nVidia SATA controller (SATA 10) (3 GB/sec.) botable drive controler. . This applies to both RAID and NO RAID drives.
Instead of RAID0 drives I would recommend to set them independently as a single drives with installed on each OS (partition it!) For OS the 10 GB would be enough.

Excellent article:
Planing Drive Partitioning

The HD SATA drives are dirty cheap.

I was able to pick up Hitachi SATA I 160 GB 1.5 GB/sec Retail for 40.00 U$ after rebates!
So dont be stingy, get them on "sale!"

I rather have multi boot system, and eventually the SATA RAID you can flank for RAID 0 on SilImge 3114.

I love the 2 external SATA ports extentions which made any external drives in dedicated cases (USB or 1394) absolute! ...

In OS you can sellect which drive will be your primery boot drive, so with multidrives you can have independently installed different OSes and by snapping the boot drive in the OS you can select boot drive from any of nVidia nForce 4, 4 SATA 10 HDD.
Works for me!

The SilImge 3114 is a secondary SATA / RAID controller for NON bootable drive and if no RAID to be set to JBOD. SATA I (1.5 GB/Sec.) Software RAID / SATA controler.

The Silicone Image 3114 is a very poor choice of ASUS of RAID / SATA controler on otherwise this excellent MoBo, if not the best in entire 939 selection.

The manual for ASUS A8N SLI really is a masterpiece of CRAPshit.

Be carefull as if you connect the drive to SilImge you might lose the content of this drive as the software might crash the file system !!!!

A8N SLI DLX

Please do read the description before updating BIOS
To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below version prior to this Bios.

For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.70 .

For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later

For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

You can connect up to 8 SATA HDD, and 2 PATA HD Drives.
February 9, 2006 9:22:49 PM

Quote:

The nVidia nForce 4 is the primery SATA / RAID controler.
You can ONLY boot system from nVidia SATA controller (SATA 10) (3 GB/sec.) botable drive contrtoler.

The SilImge 3114 is a secondary SATA / RAID controller for NON botable drive and if no RAID to be set to JBOD. SATA I (1.5 GB/Sec.) Software RAID / SATA controler.

Completely incorrect. If you have one of these boards and you set both SATA controllers to RAID, you will find that you cannot then boot from the NVRAID controller as the boot rom for it is disabled (press F10 and see for yourself that the bootable option is set to N/A and the asterisk is missing from the array), as the Silicon Image controller is set as the boot controller when both are enabled. There is no fix for this (I have spoken to numerous people at Asus regarding it and they are aware of this). The NV controller will boot fine if the SI controller is disabled in the main BIOS.

Quote:
The Silicone Image 3114 is a very poor choice of ASUS of RAID / SATA controler on otherwise this excellent MoBo, if not the best in entire 939 selection.

Again incorrect. I have put 2 x 74GB Raptors in RAID0 on both controllers and HDTACH'd them and the cpu utilisation is literally 1% more on the SI controller than it is on the NVRAID controller, and the read/write speeds are actually faster on the SI than the NV with the above configuration.

Also the NVRAID SATA controllers have problems with certain SATA 3GBs drives with regards to shutting the system down (regardless of drivers used) when used in RAID1 or 0 configurations. Move them over to the SI controller and the shutdown problem is gone (the system shuts down but the CPU, Chassis & PSU fans are still spinning at full speed when connected to the NV controller but shut off totally upon shut down when connected to the SI).

Quote:
Be carefull as if you connect the drive to SilImge you might lose the content of this drive as the software might crash the file system !!!!

Hmm very strange that in over 400 system builds using the A8N-SLI Deluxe boards I have personally done at work (including the one I am typing this on) have been 100% stable without any problems with the RAID arrays on the SI controller.

Quote:
A8N SLI DLX

Please do read the description before updating BIOS
To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below version prior to this Bios.

For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.70 .

For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later

For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later

You can connect up to 8 SATA HDD, and 2 PATA HD Drives.

The above quote is correct though and if the wrong drivers are installed upon BIOS upgrade, you will have problems.
February 10, 2006 4:27:50 PM

pcrig: it's funny that you would assume that you understand the question best of everyone.

again, as I said earlier, mobius is right, as much as you may hate it, so you should consider quitting posting inflamatory stuff.

You should be careful recommending the premium board with the heatpipe, as there is a whole bunch of people with inverted mobo case design that are having problems with overheating chipsets. Just read the forums. I guess ASUS's heatpipe implementation assumes certain orientation of the mobo in the case.

As far as bootable issue, it could be big, but:
a) ThePimp seems to be better informed
b) Mfusick should read some forums on that specific issue to see what people say, and probably some kind of faq at ASUS
February 10, 2006 4:41:49 PM

I stand corrected.. My appologies :) 

Preech
February 10, 2006 7:22:59 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID = great article about RAID

ThePimp is correct

SiL makes decent controllers, better than decent in fact.

RAID 0 = 2 times more likely to fail with 2 drives, 4 times more likely to fail with 4 drives, etc If a drive dies in a RAID 0 array your DATA is GONE.

RAID 1 = mirror = less likely to fail but it can still fail

RAID 1 is NOT a proper backup however!!!

RAID 5 = you can lose one drive and keep going

RAID 6 = you can lose two drives and keep going

Semper Fi Linux on! :D 
!