waterless water cooling

cceciljr13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
I'm referring to the article on submerging the mobo and whatnot in oil/grease/water etc...one of the readers (Joel) suggested "waterless water". From what i can gleen this compound is a 3M product called Novec 1230 and is available in 11 lb. sample quantities for those interested. I had hoped to post this where it would get more attention but am to lazy or ignorant to do this anyway best of luck;)

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Cheap ass but hey I would do the same thing and save money. Though I highly doubt you would get multiple samples unless you provide them with different address. I also heard that Galden Thermal Fluid is very good at this with almost no electrical conductivity.

But I go to lan parties so i don't think it's a good idea to have a 100 pound pc.

cceciljr13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
"waterless water cooling" is joel's terminology, not mine... he was referring to the novec 1230 i believe...gay as it is...:p

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
No I don't think you can dip the whole mobo into a vat of nitrogen. Supercold temperature mean superconductor but the mobo probably would end up getting fried. Liquid nitrogen is a superconductor. But if you wrap the mobo with silicon then it might just work. Maybe. :?

purelithium

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Your physics are flawed, Chuck. Liquid nitrogen by itself doesn't become a superconductor, but the metallic object it cools, becomes a superconductor.

NaomiHIkaru

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
where can you get the samples? I think i might try it out, but there was also an article i read that it dries 25 times faster than water so yeah.... you might need a completely seald system..

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
how about dip the mobo in polyurethane let dry making sure all points are at least 1cm thick coated.

Then just use oil or light grade motor oil like THG suggests. Additionally you could use a pump to pump the oil to a radiator and blow a fan across that to keep the oil circulating.

Bad thing once you coat it in poly that's it no more changing cards or proc. :twisted:

scoobertscoobydoo

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
how about dip the mobo in polyurethane let dry making sure all points are at least 1cm thick coated.

Then just use oil or light grade motor oil like THG suggests. Additionally you could use a pump to pump the oil to a radiator and blow a fan across that to keep the oil circulating.

Bad thing once you coat it in poly that's it no more changing cards or proc. :twisted:

how about you just cool it normally. lol