Question on How much & What brand of Memory for new syst

rustang351c

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2005
I'm about to order:

MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum
AMD 64 3800+ dualcore
7800GT... etc.

I usually have like 2 instances of my MMO, Teamspeak or MediaPlayer and occasionally word or internet explorer to retrieve some info.

Do I need 1 Gig or 2? and.. do I have to make sure the brand matches my motherboard, or does that all need to be adjusted in the Bios anyway?
Voltage, speeds & timing?

pwnage

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
i dont think any one who makes mother boards make memory too.

the best memory manufacturers that i have found are crucial, corsair, OCZ, and kingston. these are that only companys i will use. there all life time warrenty and they are quality.

1 GB is ussualy enough for most people but if you are going to play games and such 2GB will give you an added egde.

if you go with 1GB do 2 x 512MB sticks. if your going for 2GB 2 x 1GB sticks. alot of the time they have them in matched pairs. it really doesn't matter if they are or they arn't.

the neo 4 board is ddr 400 i think. what you may want to do is go to crucial.com and use their memory configurator to find the memory that will best sute you.

also you may want to look at different boards, thats if ou havent got your heart set on this one. Asus, DFI, and Abit make good products. i personaly have a Asus A8N32 SLI, great mobo.

emogoch

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2005
These days, for anyone that's building an upper-end system, Ifind it hard to justify not buying 2GB upfront. Reasons for this:

1) Latency differences on 2x512 vs 2x1024 is low enough now that there's very little real-word impact
2) Cost difference between 1 GB and 2 GB is minimal
3) While 2 GB might not get fully used by someone now, chances are they'll eventually get to the point where they'll want 2 GB
4) the performance impact that 4x512 has compared to 2x1024. If you want performance, getting 1GB now, and wnating to upgrade to 2GB later means that you're going to have to throw away the 512 sticks you got before
5) With AMD moving to DDR2 now as well, we should see DDR RAM start taking the major price increases that everyone has been predicting over the last year, meaning that trying to upgrade later will be much more expensive (RAMBUS anyone?).

Thus, you should probably jsut go straight to 2GB if you're debating it.

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
I have an MSI Neo2 Platinum w/AMD64 3200+ and GeForce 6600 GT, Antec TruePower 550 running 4x512 Crucial Ballistix at 2-2-2-7 1T at a "mild" 2.15GHz overclock. I'm quite happy as it runs HL2 superbly. My point is that Crucial Ballistix single sided DDR2 in whichever density (size) you choose offers you the choice of a moderate, or 2x moderate memory purchase. Also, certain progs (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator) suck all the memory available, so 2GB is better than 1GB.