Backing Up FS

There are often threads appearing during which someone has had to re-install
or is trying not to have to because of the time involved particularly with
lots of add ons.
I use Norton Ghost to create a complete disk or partition image. I tend to
create one after doing a new system installation making sure all the patches
have been applied. I have FS on its own drive and I know others here will
have it on its own partition. I then install FS, apply patches and do
another separate image. If I'm feeling brave and confident, after I have
loaded some other large scenery add ons (FSGenesis, Megascenery, UK Roads)
I'll do another perhaps overwritng the previous.
You obviously need to save the image onto a different partition or disk and
ideally onto an external drive. Restoring following a disaster then becomes
a relatively quick process. Of course it works well as a backup scheme for
anything. Ghost V9 is significantly different from previous versions since
it now creates the images in the background and will also do incremental
backups. I think this function was acquired from Powerquest when Symantec
bought them recently. They seem to be buying up everybody!
The only limitation is storage space and even with the size of some people's
FS setup, there are plenty of huge disks out there with free space on them.
Does anyone else use this program?

Chris

Yes, I've used Ghost 9. It's a good program. But, IMNSHO, an even
better choice may be Acronis True Image. Better user interface and better
functionality. True Image is much less intimidating for the image-creating
noob. But, both do the same basic job and it really just comes down to a
matter of personal preference. I've never had a problem with either of them
but I find True image significantly easier to use.

"Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net> wrote in message
> There are often threads appearing during which someone has had to
> re-install or is trying not to have to because of the time involved
> particularly with lots of add ons.
> I use Norton Ghost to create a complete disk or partition image. I tend to
> create one after doing a new system installation making sure all the
> patches have been applied. I have FS on its own drive and I know others
> here will have it on its own partition. I then install FS, apply patches
> and do another separate image. If I'm feeling brave and confident, after
> I have loaded some other large scenery add ons (FSGenesis, Megascenery, UK
> Roads) I'll do another perhaps overwritng the previous.
> You obviously need to save the image onto a different partition or disk
> and ideally onto an external drive. Restoring following a disaster then
> becomes a relatively quick process. Of course it works well as a backup
> scheme for anything. Ghost V9 is significantly different from previous
> versions since it now creates the images in the background and will also
> do incremental backups. I think this function was acquired from Powerquest
> when Symantec bought them recently. They seem to be buying up everybody!
> The only limitation is storage space and even with the size of some
> people's FS setup, there are plenty of huge disks out there with free
> space on them.
> Does anyone else use this program?
>
> Chris

I have to confess to not having heard of True Image.
I'll investigate!

Chris

"Trip Lane" <Trip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes, I've used Ghost 9. It's a good program. But, IMNSHO, an even
> better choice may be Acronis True Image. Better user interface and better
> functionality. True Image is much less intimidating for the image-creating
> noob. But, both do the same basic job and it really just comes down to a
> matter of personal preference. I've never had a problem with either of
> them but I find True image significantly easier to use.

> "Chris Curtis" <chris@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> There are often threads appearing during which someone has had to
>> re-install or is trying not to have to because of the time involved
>> particularly with lots of add ons.
>> I use Norton Ghost to create a complete disk or partition image. I tend
>> to create one after doing a new system installation making sure all the
>> patches have been applied. I have FS on its own drive and I know others
>> here will have it on its own partition. I then install FS, apply patches
>> and do another separate image. If I'm feeling brave and confident, after
>> I have loaded some other large scenery add ons (FSGenesis, Megascenery,
>> UK Roads) I'll do another perhaps overwritng the previous.
>> You obviously need to save the image onto a different partition or disk
>> and ideally onto an external drive. Restoring following a disaster then
>> becomes a relatively quick process. Of course it works well as a backup
>> scheme for anything. Ghost V9 is significantly different from previous
>> versions since it now creates the images in the background and will also
>> do incremental backups. I think this function was acquired from
>> Powerquest when Symantec bought them recently. They seem to be buying up
>> everybody!
>> The only limitation is storage space and even with the size of some
>> people's FS setup, there are plenty of huge disks out there with free
>> space on them.
>> Does anyone else use this program?
>>
>> Chris

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:15:41 +0100, "Chris Curtis"
<newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote:

>I have to confess to not having heard of True Image.
>I'll investigate!
>
>Chris
>
>"Trip Lane" <Trip@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, I've used Ghost 9. It's a good program. But, IMNSHO, an even
>> better choice may be Acronis True Image. Better user interface and better
<snip>

I use a freeware program called Casper XP which I downloaded off the
'net and it seems to work very well. I have the choice of cloning an
entire hard drive or just a partition. I am a little wary of Norton as
past experience felt like their program wanted to take control of my
computer from me. Maybe that's just paranoia.

dallas

"Martin Cowley"
> I use a freeware program called Casper XP which I downloaded off the
> 'net and it seems to work very well.

I've been using Casper XP for 6 months without incident. It's ridiculously
simple.

I went with a second hard drive in a removable $20 caddy. I like keeping my
backup away from the computer in case of fire or theft.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/DriveBay.jpg

Not to mention, if the HDD goes south, I just slide the backup in and set
the BIOS to boot from the D: drive and life goes on.

Dallas

"Martin Cowley" <mcowley@senet_remove_this_.com.au> wrote in message
> I use a freeware program called Casper XP which I downloaded off the
> 'net and it seems to work very well. I have the choice of cloning an
> entire hard drive or just a partition. I am a little wary of Norton as
> past experience felt like their program wanted to take control of my
> computer from me. Maybe that's just paranoia.

Paranoia certainly justified in the past. However,. Ghost 9 does behave
itself!
I'll have a look at Casper XP.

Chris

wow Dallas you have one of those huge floppy disk drives, I haven't seen one
of those in years

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.

> "Martin Cowley"
>> I use a freeware program called Casper XP which I downloaded off the
>> 'net and it seems to work very well.
>
> I've been using Casper XP for 6 months without incident. It's
> ridiculously
> simple.
>
> I went with a second hard drive in a removable $20 caddy. I like keeping
> my
> backup away from the computer in case of fire or theft.
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/DriveBay.jpg
>
> Not to mention, if the HDD goes south, I just slide the backup in and set
> the BIOS to boot from the D: drive and life goes on.
>

> Dallas

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Dallas wrote:
> "Martin Cowley"
>
>>I use a freeware program called Casper XP which I downloaded off the
>>'net and it seems to work very well.
>

> I've been using Casper XP for 6 months without incident. It's ridiculously
> simple.
>
> I went with a second hard drive in a removable $20 caddy. I like keeping my
> backup away from the computer in case of fire or theft.
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Dallas/DriveBay.jpg
>
> Not to mention, if the HDD goes south, I just slide the backup in and set
> the BIOS to boot from the D: drive and life goes on.
>

> Dallas

Hi Dally,

Is your external drive USB? or which? I have already asked this I think
but where I saved it, I don't know. :( Where did you buy the hardware
and what would you do different now if you could change what you did?

It'll be later before I can answer, Got an hour drive to the Mental
Health Doctor in Temple just to convince her I'm not going to kill
myself before the next scheduled appointment some 3 months down the road. :)

And have received some more mail from the VA about the Gulf War Syndrome
and asking if I have proof I was in Desert Shield/Storm. These people;e
are irritating. they already have proof in my medical records where I
was in a M.A.S.H 300 miles into the desert when the Bombing campaign
commenced. Funny, the medical staff ran through the hospital yelling
that the bombing had begun and to get under out beds and put on gas
masks. How silly is that????? We're in a damn tent and the beds were
cots and to top it off, I was sleepy, so I went back to sleep.

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Hi

I used a "surplus" older HD as a backup by buying a case found on Amazon or
PriceGrabber, then plugged it into the USB port. Works fine. Case was
about $25, and there were many to choose from.

--
Gerald J Buchko buchgera@comcast.net