endyen

Splendid
I really hate that pos. It's way too loud, and not that much better than stock. It's not even as good a cooler as the vantec aeroflow, at half the noise level. (sorry, it was the last TT unit I will ever buy)

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
no seriuosly thx wusy socket a user's are all going to m2 and there's not alot ofpeople that have alot of socket a knowledge like you thx so much! but im thinking of going water cooling any recomendations?

penguin_d

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
From personal experience, if you want a completely SILENT solution for any socket A.

The ThermalTake Sonic Tower, I have this installed with AS5 and I haven't had a heat issue at all... Only majorproblem was that I had to reposition the side fan to be mounted on the OUTSIDE of the case window... damn thing is TALL.

But I run a 3200+ Barton, at 2.5 Ghz No issues, ~55 degrees C under full load.

Just my 2 Cents.

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
A bit off topic here, but I learnt how vigilant the Socket A really is today. I've always scoffed at them as being, old, useless pieces of *profanity*. But I learnt a lesson today :roll:

I had a friend bring over her old P2 400mhz Acer, I took a quick CPU-Z to find out what it was (CPU-Z Results) Turned out to be a Deschutes.

I cleaned the insides out as and removed the CPU fan to clean it. I reinstalled the fan and put another stick of ram into it. But unknowningly, I had forgotten to plug in the header pin to power the fan 8O Mistake #1 :oops: I powered it back up and installed some updates and gave it a bit of a tweaking to get it moving a bit better. I was doing a Spy Subtract scan when I thought I'd just put on SpeedFan 4 to see what there old system ran at.

Well when it loaded, I got a bit of a shock. The CPU was running at 102C!! I thought SpeedFan was just being silly, but the sensor on the 40GB Western digital HDD was reading 42C, which was about right for the rather warm 34C ambient at home. I started to worry about how hot it was really running, so I lefted the case and stuck my finger on the heat sink to get a rough guage of how hot it was. Mistake #2 :oops:. It burnt my finger after about 2 seconds, resulting in a few 'F' words. I would have to say, by the burning sensation in my hand, this CPU was running between 80-100C. I've accidentally spilt hot coffee on my hands before, and this gave me the same "F**k that's hot" indication.

I poked around in the case until I found the CPU fan header plug was unplugged :oops: Made a n00b out of myself with that one, plugged it back in and the temp started jumping down in notches, to about 60C, I put a pedastal fan beside it and the temp dropped down to a moderately healthy 45C. I removed the pedastal fan and it stayed around the mid 40's and crept a little to the late 40's depending on CPU load.

I know a few of you probably are passing this story off as bullshit, i don't mind that, I don't want any "respect" for my act of stupidity and n00bness from forgetting to plug a fan in, I'm still quite shocked at how something this primative was able to survive these temps, even if it was out by 20% in temperature, that's still bloody hot in my books. I've had my 3200+ Venice up to 60C and felt the heatsink and never burnt my finger like that.

I have no photos or screen shots, was a bit more worried about blowing up a friends computer at the time of discovery, so please excuse me for that. :? I do have an old Socket A 333mhz Celeron, which I am going to try to experiment with and see if it gets close to that temp, so maybe in a few weeks time, I'll have a video or some photos for those who need "Rock solid proof" before they stop flamin me :p

Well this goes in my file of "Wierd" computer experiences :? Hope this little story has brought a chuckle or a smile from some of the readers, but I think it will only cause a lot of flamin :x

**Put's on a flame resistant suit and waits for the replies**

knightrous

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Nah, I some how got the whole confusion of Slot 1 and Slot/Socket A mixed up in my head when I moved from Intel to AMD 8O

The box I'm gonna try to get to the 100C mark is a Slot 1 P2 333mhz Celeron. I'm gonna remove the whole fan off it and just run passive heat sink like the P2 400mhz Pentium become in my previous post.

TRENDING THREADS