Hi,

I'm trying to setup a network as following:

I have two computers each one end of the globe. One is connected to
Internet by Dial-up modem and is running Windows XP Pro (Dial-up
Copmuter), the other is using cable broadband (700 KB/s) and is
running the same OS (Broadband Computer). The dial-up computer cannot
view all the websites due to filtering software installed on its ISP.
But the broadband one is not filtered. So I'm trying to setup a VPN
from dial-up comp to broadband comp so that all the internet traffic
of dial-up comp goes through the broadband one and therefore dial-up
comp goes around the filter and be able to view all web-pages (since
the VPN connection is encryppted, no packet filtering on ISP will work
on this).

More on broadband comp: well this is a cable broadband and it uses an
Alcatel Surfboard 4200 to access the network. There is no PPP
connections involved. Once the LAN card is connected to the modem, a
public IP is issued for the computer and it's online.

PROBLEM: as far as I know (I only know a little about VPN and NAT)
there has to be a connection (other than Local Area Network) so that
we can share it using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) and when a VPN
client connects to the our computer (considering they've checked the
option that says 'use the default gateway on remote computer') it then
uses 'us' to access the internet. WELL !!! My broadband comp does NOT
connect to internet by any connections (like PPP or PPPoE) so I can't
use ICS to do that.

If anybody here knows how to make this scenario work or have a better
way of doing it , please let me know as I'm really in need of this.

Thanks in advance

Mansour and ALL READERS:

For problems like this it is best to draw a small diagram:

PCdialup-------VPN------PCBroadband--LAN

For This simple scenario it is sufficient to configure the PCBroadband
as a VPN server. THen use connections in the PCdialup to connect to
the LAN.

PCBroaband must have two NIC cards.

TRENDING THREADS