Memtest86 DOES NOT LOAD UP??? HELP

style69

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Burned the iso file onto a bootable cd...

Before windwos starts it sayd ....EMM somethingall rights reserved and then theresa cursor bliking continously ....eventhough i waited for long while nothing happened...

HOW do i operate this programme...i wanna check my ram for stability issues.

Thanks

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
You can download the memtest 86 and save it in your folder. Then open the folder and extract it. Save it in a floppy or CD, restart pc and boot to floppy or CD whichever you have.

MajorGeeks.com has the software.

There's a "read me file" included for directions.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
When you say "Burned the ISO file onto a bootable cd" did you burn it AS an ISO file?
I had a problem the first time I tried to burn it to CD in that I just burned the file like I would any data file. That was wrong; you have to make an ISO CD. It’s a separate option from burning Data to a bootable CD.
Quite frankly I don’t remember if I used Nero or Media Player to do it.

style69

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Yes ...i got it to work..but dunno what tests to run and for how long under the current overclock...i wanna test the memory first and then proceed to mayb 2.5GHz.

Although its just been 3 weeks since i bought his setup.....shouldi give it more time?

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
MemTest86 is primarily a memory test, and you don’t have to do anything. It should start running after it loads; just let it run for 12+ hrs.
For a CPU test try Prime95, more CPU but memory too. In ether case the goal is to let them run 12+ hrs with no errors.
My 3000+ is running @ 2.4G so 2.5 is not out of the question with good cooling, relaxed memory timings, memory Freq @ 333Mhz and maybe lower HTT multiplier.