windows boot error?!?!? HELP

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
ok so i have had my new system up and running for about 5 weeks now with now problems. so today i was on my computer and all of a sudden it freezes. nothing is responding so i just reset the power. once i reset the power i get to the logon screen, i logon and then i get a blue screen saying windows has detected a problem and has been shut down to prevent any damage to your computer the under it, it says, unmountable_boot_volume. so i thought my grphix card might have overheated so i try rebooting again about several times with no luck. i try booting with safe mode but still freezes. after about 2 hrs i come back and nothing has changed. any1 no any solutions? thx

ASUS A8R-MBP crossfire
AMD 3800 X2
ATI X1800 XT 512MB
creative X-FI extrememusic
300 gb seagate barracuda
600 watt OKIA psu
and cd-drives and all

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Hard drive problem. Check the connections from the drive to your board. If anything else, try resetting your BIOS too. If that doesn't work, try disconnecting your hard from the board and just boot up the machine. If the blue screen doesn't show up, you'll know your hard drive is the problem.

You may also have corrupt boot files too.

When you boot up the machine, does it immediately go to the blue screen?

doublehelix

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2005
Do you get any numbers before the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME message? Something along 0x00000000? Are you using an IDE cable or SATA cable? I heard of this problem with a faulty IDE...

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Do you have a anti-virus on your computer cus if not you might have gotten malware on you computer from looking at dirty stuff... that happened to me once and i even had a anti-virus, just saying that it could f-up your OS, cus on mine it went to the blue screen of death about every two hours and i would have to restart it about 10 times before it would work, this lasted about a month and then suddenly it went away... that kind of confused me :? :?

PS. DON'T go to dirty sites anymore, download from limewire, imesh etc.

CRAFTSMAN_69

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I highly recommend that you download Seagates Seatools to figure out if you have a faulty drive. Go here and download this ISO image and burn it to disc to make a bootable diagnostic CD.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/index.html

There is instructions on how to burn and how to use this utility under the learn more tab of the site. If your drive checks out ok then use your XP cd to boot off of. Go through the steps as you would a normal install untill you get to where it see's your drive. If XP recognizes your previous installation then your partition is ok and you may proceed with a Windows XP Repair which you will loose little to no info on your computer just remeber you will have to update XP again. If XP does not recognize your previous install you may be up the creek with no paddle. It can be repaired but is a pain, the easiest way I have repaired this is to connect the drive to another computer with Partition Magic installed on it and have it repair the drive. Then put it back into the original computer and cross your fingers. P8ntslinger is right on the mark, usually this is caused by malicous adware or a virus so after you get it going again update your virus definitions and download AdAware SE and run them to clean up your system if all checks out then you need to check your hardware for stability using a program like Prime 95 to stress your system and check for mathimatical errors over a 24 hour period to insure stability. If you get this far with no problems then it was probably a fluke or worse a gremlin :).

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
You're obviously not going to be able to disconnect the hard drive and attempt to judge whether it is the problem by getting a blue screen when Windows loads.......think about it for a second.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Go to www.support.microsoft.com and do a search in the knowledge base for "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". You should be able to determine the cause of your problems by reading through the results.

It is possible the drive is bad, more than likely something else is the culprit though.

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
in the windows setup can i copy the data from one partition to another?like i have the 300gb seagate barracuda ( the hdd giving me the problems) and i also have an external 160 gb iomega hdd. so in that menu can u backup the data to it? then once the data is backuped xi can reformat the seagate hdd and start out clean

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, you can just to see if the machine posts or not. I was under the assumption that he was not even getting to post and immediately getting the BSOD. My fault.

oinkypig

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
ok i went to microsoft support site finding ways to solve my problem with windows and when i follow the intructions to go into the recovery console in the windows setup disk i type in chkdsk /r and once it gets to 50% it says there were one or more uncoverable problems and the process stops. and i have already tried using the fixboot command

texasgulag

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
It sounds like the BIOS settings may have lost the harddrive; unless, of course, the drive has failed. I see this message with SCSI's a lot (that'a all I use) and it usually occurs at client machines where somebody got the brilliant idea to mess with the BIOS... :roll:

Wgfalcon

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
try booting from your windows cd and doing a repair. if you can't do the repair
try installing windows over its self same directory so that you can backup your files to your iomega
even if that works you also need run seatools (the seagate hd diags)like CRAFTSMAN_69 suggested before you format and reinstall. no need to go through that if hd tests bad