average seek time double the quoted spec...

slipchuck

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
I have a new Maxtor 200G 8mb cache hard drive, IDE.
when I test it with HD tach, I get average seek times over 21ms.
the manufacture says it should be under 9ms.
the burst speeds are around 90 mb/s (my motherboard only supports 100mb/s not 133)
the average read is 53 mb/sec.
It does seem slower then the drive that I replaced (you can hear the bearings on that one)
the setup as far as master, slave, right cables etc are proper.
I have started and stopped it more then the 10 recommended times to disable write protection when new.

Is this proper for a new drive?
I e-mailed maxtor and they told me to run a software text for it, but I can't seem to make it work from dos.
It boots into dos, I can find where the iso files are, but I don't know how to execute an iso file.

please help

slipchuck

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2002
I have started and stopped it more then the 10 recommended times to disable write protection when new.

Haven't heard of that before.

I don't fully understand it, but Maxtor has this for the 1st 10 start ups for (they say) handling protection. (bumpy delievery, etc)

BTW, how hot does a hard drive get?
this one if very hot to the touch, where my other ones are about 1/2 as hot.

thanks

mpjesse

Splendid
Average seek times are RARELY in line with what the manufacturer states. Are you sure Maxtor isn't quoting the minimum seek time?

Still... 21ms does seem high. Is the drive on the IDE port by itself? If not, try disconnecting the other drives and see if that improves seek time (I know that's not a solution, but it may explain some discrepancies).

-mpjesse

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
slipchuk:

iso files are cd image files, out of which a cd burning app creates a cd.

One does not execute iso files. I'm guessing that Maxtor wants you to make a cd out of it, and use that for testing.