Question about the x1800 xl

fedshark

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Does anyone know what the recommended temp is for the ati x1800 xl? I've had a few problems with the card locking up and being reset by the catalyst program when it gets near 70c, and I'm not sure what else to check that would be causing it.

If it is locking up at stock clockspeeds, I'd first try the latest 6.2 Catalyst set, and if no help, make sure the cooling fan is unobstructed, and that the supplemental power input is not split with another device via "y" adapter...Is PS of sufficient wattage?

Beyond that, I'd be looking at warranty details!

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
my x850xt seems to be quite cool ..in idle mode is around 28...35 degrees and in full load (call of duty 2 highest detail level) goes to 45..55 degrees......
i don`t know how diferent your cooling sistem is but mine is a stock one..it saids here ati reference......
i don`t think that you have a problem with the power source...maybe is a problem with the case ..the cables and stuff .they are blocking the air flow .....
i hope this helps

cleeve

Illustrious
Mine's super hot if you overclock it high, but it works fine up to 90 degrees Celcius (at which time I shut it down in mortal fear of it melting)

But every card's different. Luck of the draw & all.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
mine overclocked goes around 50..i tried this once but i think is strong enough without oc..
mine is x850xt 520/1080 or something like that.......it rules in any game but i`m not found about oc although i have heavy hardware experience

fedshark

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Oddly enough, the card has only locked up and reset once since I made this post, and it only locked up after a few hours of running overclocked, and it didnt go over 65c. No idea why its fine now, but hey, I'm not gonna complain now that its working.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
My X1800XL use to go to the 70C range - no matter what game I used - it has a very narrow temp range. Something like 50C idle and 70C max approx and a very annoying fan at the top temp. Wish I could have that temps on my XTX minus the blowing sound of the cooler! :?

cleeve

Illustrious
One thing you can try is to download Atitool... it will allow you to set the fan to be 100% all the time, or you can set it to go 100% when the GPU temp is over 60 degrees... that should help alot.

It'll make it a bit louder, tho.

If you want to keep the card you should consider buying a new cooler for it, that should fix everything and make it quieter to boot... the Zalman VF700 or the new Accelero X2.