Vile

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I must do some paperwork on Intel's 64bit CPUs. I asked the teacher if I could talk about the A64s too, he said something like: "Err, no, AMD is not well known here, go for Intel only". I was like 8O

(Told you, in Peru, there's no AMD.. please nuke my country... or invade it)

Anyways, I need this info, can you suggest any links or explain what's the difference between 32-bit and 64-bit? Is it the amount of bits per package that is sent from the CPU to the chipset?

Thanks a lot!

endyen

Splendid
Addressable memory. With only 32 bits (Is and Os) it is only possible to address 4 gigs of memory. With 64 bit addressing, the available memory is increased to terrabites.
One thing you need to be clear on, is that the addressing is for all memory, including page files.
Intel currently uses 2 distinctly different 64 bit architectures. Itanium (commonly referred to as Itanic, becuase it is huge, and is sinking) is IA 64, while the newest P4s use a clone of Amd's A64, called EM64T. (Ido give permission to plagerize my wording, or paraphrase)
While the added memory may not always be usefull, x86 64 requires added registers, to handle the addresses. These added registers include 8 new GPRs (general perpose registers) and an SSE2 register.
Since these registers can only be accessed by a 64 bit OS, it's advantages have not yet been brought to full fruition.
If I were you, I would close with something like " While Intel has gained little from the transition to 64 bit, those who they copied from at Amd, have included other developments, which have given thier A64s a clear performance advantage."

hashv2f16

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I asked the teacher if I could talk about the A64s too, he said something like: "Err, no, AMD is not well known here, go for Intel only". I was like 8O

WHAT??!!

I'll keep in mind to set Peru as high priority on my nuking list.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
When I take over a country I will make sure to fire the teacher of what he said about AMD, and put him in slavery, then I will over throw the country and make it better. I will need all the hot chicks as well. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: