2x8 or 2x16 PCI-Express: Does it matter?

GerryPers

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
If you want to set up a dual graphics system for Pentium which motherboard is the best?

Asus P5N32 SLI Deluxe or a board based on the new 975x chipset?

P5N32 features 2x16 PCI-Express whereas 975x only supports

2x8 PCI-Express .

Is this difference significant at this point in time?

If not when will it be?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I have the same question cause I have a GA-8N SLI mobo and has 8x dual graphics. I planning to upgrade to a 16x dual graphics but I don't know if there would be a significant difference in performance.

Has anyone currently using a 16x dual graphics and if so how fast is it compare to the 8x mobo?

Is this difference significant at this point in time?

If not when will it be?

It's only a difference for SLi/Xfire that doesn't use a bridge/dongle.

You MIGHT be able to get X1800/1900 and GF7800 cards to do multi GPU without the dongle with less of a performance hit, but I doubt either would perform as well as their current methods as they are hardware directed toward the dongle/bridge.

For pretty much every other application, there will be no difference, since the data doesn't saturate the 8 PCIe lanes the cards already use.

mpjesse

Splendid
It doesn't make a noticable difference. Like TheGreatGrapeApe said, it could make a difference if you're not using the SLI bridge between the 2 cards.

Actually... ATI doesn't use a bridge... hmmm... I wonder if it makes a difference? ATI uses a DVI cable I think...

Well for sure, with SLI, it doesn't make a difference.

-mpjesse

It doesn't make a noticable difference. Like TheGreatGrapeApe said, it could make a difference if you're not using the SLI bridge between the 2 cards.

Actually... ATI doesn't use a bridge... hmmm... I wonder if it makes a difference? ATI uses a DVI cable I think...

Well for sure, with SLI, it doesn't make a difference.

ATI uses the d(a)ngle, it still feeds the cards the same way it does in SLi, but instead of a bridge the slave sends it's information along the dongle to the compositing chip. The X1600/1300 and even GF6200-6600 (IIRC) can send that information through the PCIe lanes to the compositing chip on the card, or to SLi chip interface (built into the core).

I don't think it makes a difference for the X1600 or GF6600, but it may mke a difference later, and it definitely would make a difference for that Dell monstrosity that uses both bridges and the pci lanes to communicate between all 4 chips. But heck that things more of a proof of concept than product worth worrying about.

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
I think the SLI bridge is mainly for transferring the image from your second card, to your displaying card. This is what the split DVI cable does; although the SLI bridge might do a little more than just that. :D

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
as much difference as adding 1mhz core clock

unless you need a ton of lanes for eg. raidcontroller/ethernet-workstation card it is pointless

i tried running my (single) card in 8x mode versus 16x mode, and there was nearly no difference in scores, game experience was exactly the same. I am actually running in 8x mode now because of a huge passive nb heatsink is blocking my top 16x slot w. nV5 silencer installed