Sign in with
Your question

i am getting mixed messages

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 10, 2006 10:11:45 AM

people are giving me mixed messages about the Samsung SyncMaster 960BF some say its great for gaming and others tell me there lots of ghosting and so on. i need some advise on this mointor
i want to use it for everything not just gaming and i will be connected dvi to a 7800gt

More about : mixed messages

February 10, 2006 11:35:05 AM

I have check several online store about these monitor. But I haven't seen any review of it. Means that no one apparently bought this monitor on the online store that I've check. So my best guess as good as yours but try to find some reviews before buying it.
February 10, 2006 12:21:04 PM

Try Googling the brand of monitor actually looking for reviews and see what you come up with. What I try and do is find a couple of different reviews and look for similarities if 3 out of 4 say its good it probably is a decent buy. Online computer mag sites or consumer report sites being the prefered places I check because they often actually run tests. A little looking can go a long way.
Related resources
February 10, 2006 12:25:54 PM

i think too you should find some more reviews...as far as i know the 960bf is the 930bf with a white bezel instead...so is a TN 4ms g2g....it`s ok...but if you consider games ... on that 7800 of yours.....you should reconsider and find instead a good crt monitor ..i say that because the max resolution on the 960 bf is 1280x1024...
you should also consider the pva panel from samsung ..say the 173p+ or other..it has a better image than the tn screens.......
if you realy want to go for it ....... and you don`t need the pivot function..go fot the 730bf...is a good monitor...
personaly i had the same thought...but i stucked with my old trinitron instead.......i have a x850xt with a sony trinitron crt monitor and the games look much much much much better that on any TFT screen which i have tested instead..
don`t get me wrong .... tft screens are good ...but not for gaming ..... not just because of the slow response time ..... consider the resolution and the AA and AF functions which are almost imposible to notice because of the large dot pitch the screen has especially on 19 inch tft screens
February 10, 2006 1:42:00 PM

I don't know about the 960 but I have a 940b and it's awesome! It takes a fair amount of tinkering to get the display set correctly but it's worth it in the end. The brightness and contrast are at 100% default! The included software for adjusting the display is crap too.

As for gaming and other activities I haven't noticed any ghosting. DVDs look good and scrolling text as well. I have a 17" Dell something or other at work and it ghosts like mad just scrolling text in Word!

I read quite a bit of reviews before I bought the Samsung and while they didn't mention the 960 specifically they did talk about the lower refresh rates and over-driven panels to compensate. I guess you lose some quality that way. Mine has a 8ms refresh (I guess that's the diff with the 960) and IMHO that's more than sufficient.

The silver 940 has a MIR now too:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
February 10, 2006 1:53:45 PM

940 is a fellow of 740 17 inch monitor which is indeed 8m g2g response time
notice that the 730 and his fellow 930 is a diferent monitor ... but there are all ok
February 10, 2006 1:55:39 PM

also check the pcstats report about these monitors ...the article is great
cheers guys
February 10, 2006 2:11:19 PM

just to let you know i found a great deal on the view sonic 970p so i got that.
February 10, 2006 2:13:27 PM

isn`t 970p a pva samsung monitor :?:
February 10, 2006 2:45:20 PM

yes sorry your right i am getting so mixed up after looking at so many monitors the one i got was a view sonic vp930
February 10, 2006 2:51:22 PM

viewsonic is a very good monitor .. if you can afford it go for it ... if you find a vx922 at a resonable price i think it`s worthy
February 10, 2006 3:24:41 PM

I have no idea where some of these guys get there info from.

but the moniter your talking about if it is 4ms or 8ms it will be perfect for gaming and general.

CRT`s are crap dont bother buying another CRT.

I have a Hyundai L90D+ 19inch 8ms, about a year ago this was the moniter to get, but things have improved.
February 10, 2006 3:33:05 PM

samsung make some of the best if not the best TFT moniters, hyundai use samsung parts so you might want to have a look at hyundai TFTs look at the image quest range.

Viewsonic is OK thats just OK unless you go high end of 4ms then its good.

Iiyama Is up there with the best, probably the best at gaming (Iiyama H1900B).

As i have siad dont look at CRTs they are no way better than TFTs.
February 10, 2006 3:36:57 PM

it's ok for somethings but not gaming neer try to play fear on it the ghosting sux!
February 11, 2006 6:20:46 AM

sure thing...tft ore getting better ..but when it cames to spending a lot on a new monitor...........you better stick to your goood old crt screen ... ihmmhiiiiiiiiiiiimmmmmmmm...........lets just say slow response time is not an issue anymore...but what if i want to play at 1600x1200...?!??..or even higher ... many of you may say it`s crazy but hey.........most of us got game killing machines ....folks upstaires talked about having 7800 or x850xt..........
...well if i ever wanna go for a tft screen i`l say 730bf or his bro 930bf...i think is the faster you can get 4mg2g..or if you consider pva panels for higher contrast and viewing angles go for the samsung 770p or 173p+.......indeed samsung monitor seem to be the best you can get for a fair price
February 11, 2006 7:52:31 AM

I have the 930bf and all I use it for is gaming and I have never noticed any ghosting.

The only issue mine has is when watching widescreen movies, you can see the bleed at the edge of the screen in the black but apart form that the monitor is highly recomendable.
February 11, 2006 8:05:59 AM

930bf is an overall good monitor ... good choice you happy lamb
February 11, 2006 8:15:53 AM

Yep im happy, I would say if anything it is a gaming monitor.
The 960 is the same just with higher brightness.
February 21, 2006 1:00:56 AM

After reading the reviews for the 940b I am probably going to get one of those. Very few complaints.
February 21, 2006 1:02:58 AM

Would anyone like to tell me about the 955 DF? I have one laying around and I don't know whether to use that instead of my Viewsonic VE510+. I'm willing to sacrifice space for a better gaming monitor.
February 21, 2006 1:38:10 AM

Quote:
After reading the reviews for the 940b I am probably going to get one of those. Very few complaints.

I have it. Takes a lot of adjustment but after it's adjusted it's very nice.
February 21, 2006 2:06:51 AM

just buy a crt monitor, cheaper and you don't have to worry about ghosting. although they are bigger and heavier
February 21, 2006 2:16:55 AM

I've been reading every post in this thread. Could you give more info about "Takes a lot of adjustment but after it's adjusted it's very nice"?

I've been looking into a LCD, probably ViewSonic or Sony, or Samsung. I'll be getting the ATI Radeon X850XT video card for my new gaming rig I'm building.
February 21, 2006 6:14:34 AM

go for it man x850xt is incredible strong gpu.........i have it on a sony trinitron crt monitor ..... and i had the same question my self ... shall i go for a tft screnn or i better keep my old trusty trinitron....
..for office use and other stuff tft is better ... but when it comes to games crt still rules.........
.... tft will only display 1280x1024 ... no problem for that little monster x850xt....but what if i wanna go for lower res.......games will lose everything...textures and little details because of the interpolation it does....
February 21, 2006 9:36:55 AM

LMFA off at you man. X850XT is good but can it handle your 1600x i dont think so get a 7800GT its at a awsome price atm, and its at least 60% faster.

And no CRT`s are just crap i like to see what graphics card you have running at 1600x if its less that a X1800XT or 7800GTX then you will be struggling with all the glory on.

Check my sig and my rig runs satisfactory at 1280x1000 any higher you will have to turn settings down, CRT`s suck eyestrain.
February 21, 2006 4:33:51 PM

Quote:
I've been reading every post in this thread. Could you give more info about "Takes a lot of adjustment but after it's adjusted it's very nice"?

Well, it comes at 100% brightness and contrast from the factory (and it's the default if you choose 'reset' in the control panel of the monitor) so you get a nice tan right off the bat if you're a pasty whiteboy like me. Don't know why they did that but it's SUPER bright and washed out at 100%. So, first you have to adjust the bright and contrast to more reasonable levels. I think I ended up at like 50% and 40% or so.

Then the colors weren't quite right. I don't recall at the moment but I think it was like temperature and maybe hugh/saturation or something? I loaded up some pics and other things to adjust the colors properly.

I was very disappointed at first because I thought I made the wrong choice. I also have an older NEC 15" LCD and that looked so much better! Then I played with the settings more and now it's beautiful.

It also comes with the Samsung magictune software or whatever but that crashed my machine so I don't use it. The software had some color adjustments and other stuff but I just used the settings in the monitor control panel.

I basically had to manually adjust every setting in the monitor control panel but once I did it rox! My only other complaint would be the backlight. In pure black screens to can see it bleeding through some around the edges. It's not a lot mind you, just annoying to me.
February 21, 2006 4:36:57 PM

Quote:
I'll be getting the ATI Radeon X850XT video card for my new gaming rig I'm building.

I'm with RX8, if you're getting a PCIe mobo (and you should if you are building a new rig), go with a X1800 (1900) or a 7800GT. Both will be much better than x850.
February 21, 2006 4:44:26 PM

Thanks for clarifying the adjustments. It makes me even more determined to get the VX922.
February 21, 2006 4:47:09 PM

The mobo I got was a hand-me-down Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NS-939 still in the box, not even opened. I took a look at the manual though and I need an AGP 8x vid card. It seems that the ATI X850XT might be my best bet, unless someone tells me otherwise.
February 21, 2006 6:28:17 PM

Quote:
As i have siad dont look at CRTs they are no way better than TFTs.

umm...if you don't mind the bulkyness, CRTs pwn. I owned a dope ass sony 17"(1280x1040 res) and it was cool, but it was expensive for it's size, but was a good deal for it's brightness. Then it suddenly decided to stop working. Shit happens though for a reason. I got a CRT monitor for less than half of what I got the Sony for, and I was F'in amazed. The clarity and brightness is amazing, and you get high ass resolutions for a great price. My advice, don't buy any monitor unless you see it, and whether it's a CRT or TFT, make sure it's bright enough, because it suxs to play a game on a new monitor and the colors are crappy.
February 21, 2006 6:59:23 PM

If you are getting an agp card the 7800GS is the way to go. evga has a superclocked edition that is around $320. heres a link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

BTW .....I would take a crt over a damn lcd anyday! the technology sucks right now, I dont give a damn what response rate they "claim" to have.
February 21, 2006 7:20:25 PM

If you feel so inclined to get a VX922, you wont be dissapointed. It dosnt have many of the features that other LCD's have (swiveling base, height adjustment, it has a low degree of tilt) but the picture is awesome. I also had to play around with the adjustments out of the box to make it look right...but after playing around, looking at a bunch of different pictures and adjusting accordingly, the picture looks amazing. I have not noticed any ghosting on any games that i play and movies look really crisp. But with pretty much all LCD's, or ones i have heard about anyways...you cant get away from the bleeding around the edges on a pure black background. Another thing to add, the native resolution is 1280x1024 so if you plan on gaming with this monitor, make sure your hardware can keep up with resolutions that high because if you change it to another resolution (1024x768 for example) the image looks almost stretched...just something to keep in mind.
February 21, 2006 7:58:57 PM

I wouldn't want to get an agp card to OC it. In fact, all I want is to put the card into the slot and it does it's thing. However, I will look into evga and see what happens. Thanks for your input
February 21, 2006 8:25:03 PM

Quote:
The mobo I got was a hand-me-down Gigabyte K8 Triton GA-K8NS-939 still in the box, not even opened. I took a look at the manual though and I need an AGP 8x vid card. It seems that the ATI X850XT might be my best bet, unless someone tells me otherwise.

Ah yes, if you're stuck with AGP then a X850XT would be good if you can get one for less than $250. The 7800GS is still way over priced at $300 plus. If you're going to spend $300 you'd probably be better off getting a new mobo and go with a 6800GS or something similar.
February 21, 2006 8:33:13 PM

It's almost been surprising to me that at every site and forum I go to about my vid card, almost everyone is suggesting the X850XT. I'm going to look into newegg.com and tigerdirect and see what I can come up with. Maybe I'll wait until the next computer show in my area and see what {if any} I can find the X850XT.
February 21, 2006 8:36:33 PM

Quote:
It's almost been surprising to me that at every site and forum I go to about my vid card, almost everyone is suggesting the X850XT. I'm going to look into newegg.com and tigerdirect and see what I can come up with. Maybe I'll wait until the next computer show in my area and see what {if any} I can find the X850XT.

Yes, the X850 is definitely the best AGP card if you can find it for the right price (~$250). The 7800GS generally outperforms it by a tiny margin and has Shader model 3.0 support but it's price of $300+ is way too much.

I have seen them on sale at MicroCenter the past few weeks so check there if you have one near you.
February 21, 2006 9:09:24 PM

Sweet....Thanks for the info. I will check out MicroCenter.
February 22, 2006 12:14:53 PM

your mistake was you brought a sony tft, second was that you dident rma it, sony products have 1 to 3 year standard warranty.

and why o why did you buy sony dident you read reviews?
February 22, 2006 12:17:20 PM

i second flyguy the X850XT is best value for agp if you really cannot afford a PCIe motherboard.[/quote]
February 22, 2006 1:21:11 PM

ViewSonic VX922 a week ago i put new pc for friend using this LCD. wow i almost wanted to give them my old set up and take this one 8O . ran bf2 and cod2 just to test it and all i can say is wow, might be time to retire my E440 sony for a LCDViewSonic VX922. well i could use my CRT as a boat anchor.
February 23, 2006 11:19:09 AM

man....no mean to offend you but ...you don`t know shiet about video cards ..let me refresh you........x1600=x600+sm3......that means that the gpu HAS THE SAME COMPUTING POWER as x600...but of course other tehnology and stuff 90nm versus 130nm.......
so comparing x600 with or without sm3 (x1600) with the x800 or x850 is no good ...as for the 7800gt.....
7800gt has a total men bandwith of 32gbps
x850xt has a total men bandwith of 34.6gbps
where b=byte
of course that doesn`t necesary mean that x850 is faster that 7800 but if you compare 7800gt with x850xt the later is faster ......TRIED MYSELF (on same games with 7800gtx)

don`t forget the shader version sm2.0b on x850 and sm3 on 7800gt ..this has nothing to do with the computing power of the gpu
...of course when i want pure power on call of duty 2 or same shiet like that i put the x850xt with AA and AF to the floor baby....and when i want same sm3 realism ... on f.e.a.r and shiet like that i put the 7800gtx (that`s the one i have not 7800gt)........
if you consider sm2 7800 is slower than x850xt but of course x850 lacks sm3 so i cannot compare the two of them in this case...maybe if i had a x1800 or even x1900

if you want to know how i`ve computed the bandwith or other stuff about the two gpus i have (his x850xt and leadtek 7800gtx) you are free to e-mail me......
x800 has the same computing power (or whatever you want to call it) as x1800...of course x1800 has same extras like hdr and sm3.......
...no need to tell you about the pixel shader i hope

conclusion

my dear friend don`t put x1600 (12pixel shader or 8 pixel different manufacturers) around 100 dolars against x850xt (16 pixel shader and ddr3) around 500 dolars.....x1600 has something x850xt hasn`t thats sm3 and that doesn`t mean it`s faster by contrary when activated sm3 ruins the entire game (try splinter cell chaos theory) on x1600...x850xt has something that x1600 lacks and that`s PURE POWER

peace boys..and excuse my english

no offence but THIS IS NOT A FORUM ABOUT VIDEO CARDS we where talking about monitors
!