why are they not releasing more games on dvd?

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i think all games should be released on dvd
there is no reason to release them on cd anymore
any one with a half-way decent system has a dvd player
and if they don`t i`m sure they can afford 25-30 dollars for one. releasing games on dvd would cut down on the number of disks, allow more and better cinematics to be played from the dvd, most games require taht a disk stay in the drive so that one could contain cinematic cutscenes and relieve your harddrive.

hear me now, believe me later, trust me in between
i`m a cop you idiot
i`ll be back

dhlucke

Polypheme
cost and despite what you think, most people do not have a dvd-rom player.

<i><font color=red><A HREF="http://www.daveclarke.com/game.cfm" target="_new">Sex</A> is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.</font color=red></i>

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
I reckon it's an industry thing. If they moved to a single DVD we (the end users) would turn round and say "Shouldn't this cost less as it did not cost you as much to produce?" (less disks, lower production costs etc.). The reply would probably be along the lines of "Well, we've been screwing you for years with the inflated costs of CD based games, why should we stop now, in fact we'll slap an extra couple of quid on because it costs more to put the 'now in DVD format' label on the front of the case"

Call me cynical if you want.....

Llamaman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
I think there are a number of reasons:

1. Not everyone has a DVD-Rom yet, and so the companies fear losing sales by not supporting the CD-only posse.

2. The disc production companies already have all the CD-writing equipment. Swapping to DVD will involve significant investment, which will get passed onto the game publisher and thus the end user. higher cost = less sales.

3. It isn't totally necessary yet - most games I've come across recently still fit on 2 CDs - one for install and one for gameplay (presumably the cinematics etc). Once it is more standard for 6,7,8 discs I think you'll see a lot more DVD games - and by then many more users will have a DVD-ROM.

I expect to see a signifcant increase in the number of DVD games over the next 12-18 months. I already have my DVD drive, so I'm ready... ...at least until Blu-Ray ;o)

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i think that is a bunch of bull

1. Not everyone has a DVD-Rom yet, and so the companies fear losing sales by not supporting the CD-only posse
well than spend 20$ and buy one you cheap bastards
if these companies only released games on dvd i`m sure people would upgrade
just the same way they had to get faster cd-roms when the games required them

2. The disc production companies already have all the CD-writing equipment. Swapping to DVD will involve significant investment, which will get passed onto the game publisher and thus the end user. higher cost = less sales.
boo hoo i cried too when my steam engine car broke down and i had to get a gas one.

3. It isn't totally necessary yet - most games I've come across recently still fit on 2 CDs - one for install and one for gameplay (presumably the cinematics etc). Once it is more standard for 6,7,8 discs I think you'll see a lot more DVD games - and by then many more users will have a DVD-ROM.
most games fit on 2 disks because they have no or shitty cinematics
i mean far cry is an awesome game but those beginning cinematics? i didn`t expect the game to be any good after seeing that lame shite. i`m tired of popping xbox games in and seeing awesome cinematics but none for the pc. and how could anyone have no dvd rom come on people its 2005 get with the program, they are only $20. and i would think any pc within the last 2 years had to have come with one.

your all just a bunch of slaves
how long you gonna let them push you around

confoundicator

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2002
Nice work man. You ask a question, then flame people when they answer.

I think I've seen you before <A HREF="http://www.politicsforum.org/images/flame_warriors/flame_28.php" target="_new">here</A>.

<font color=blue>Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.</font color=blue>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
thats pretty funny
i never relized there was such a thing

but really i`m making a point i think that is much different.
i asked the question yes, but i think there is really no good reason why games are not on dvd- so i was really making a statement on the sad state of the pc gaming market;
which has been losing out to the consoles for several years now and is only going to get worse with the nextbox and ps3

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
If you look at the quality of an average console game compared to a PC game, I would pick the PC game everytime. High res graphics, customisable input methods, total expandability (if its been written properly!). Once you have completed a console game what the hell do you do with it?, stick it in the cupboard most of the time! Most PC games have a loyal following of fans who will try to find ways to develop that game further by creating new levels, characters etc.

I must admit that now XBox and PS2 have gone ADSL they are getting better (see Halo2, SW:Battlegrounds) and with XBox 2 and PS3 round the corner the PC will have some serious competition but we will just have to wait and see (I actually wouldn't mind seeing a PS3/XBox2 connected to a high def TV and a full surround system!).

All the computers we buy in work at the moment don't come with floppy drives, even the faithful CD have been replaced with a DVD-ROM. Games developers will get the message soon enough, the market is ready for DVD based games, I just hope they just don't try to screw us for any more cash for the privilage.

L8r

KS75A, XP2200, 768RAM, 9600XL, 120HDD
(Grumpy Old Gamer)

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
They probably have warehouses full of CD-R's that they have to use before they put games on DVD. If they need more space for games they will go to a newer format.
Maybe it's read speeds and the fact that CD's have faster access times. I haven't researched this so I don't really know.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I would say the general response should be, there are many reasons many different people would want or need the cd's, which unfortunatley outways your desire to get everything on dvd.
And while you think your desire for having everything on dvd is a legit request,, all those who want otherwise feel the same way... :)

dhlucke

Polypheme
well than spend 20$ and buy one you cheap bastards
if these companies only released games on dvd i`m sure people would upgrade
just the same way they had to get faster cd-roms when the games required them

Think outside your little box.

boo hoo i cried too when my steam engine car broke down and i had to get a gas one.

DVD's do not make anything faster or better they simply offer the same product on less discs.

most games fit on 2 disks because they have no or shitty cinematics
i mean far cry is an awesome game but those beginning cinematics? i didn`t expect the game to be any good after seeing that lame shite. i`m tired of popping xbox games in and seeing awesome cinematics but none for the pc. and how could anyone have no dvd rom come on people its 2005 get with the program, they are only $20. and i would think any pc within the last 2 years had to have come with one.

You're an enthusiast, we all are here, most people aren't though. Why should they bother spending $20 (if they can afford that) when it does nothing for them?

<i><font color=red><A HREF="http://www.daveclarke.com/game.cfm" target="_new">Sex</A> is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.</font color=red></i>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well i could be wrong but wouldn`t dvd games
be able to run cinematics like a movie
and thus keep all that extra info off your HDD
i`m assuming thats the way the xbox and ps2 do it
there is no way those are all rendered cinematics but rather prerendered dvd movies

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i just think that game development for the pc has dropped off, this is probably due to bad sales.
pc games are far superior for sure
but where are any fighting games?
where are the combat flight sims? lock on - sucked
very few good sports games?

dhlucke

Polypheme
DVD's just have more space. As far as not loading it onto your hard drive I suppose there would be an advantage there with a DVD, but who doesn't load the whole game onto their hard drive? For speed you really should.

The cinematics (cartoons) on console games are really cool, but the games themselves don't look anywhere near the quality of a PC. I'd take the PC game anyday.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
well i always felt that pc games are far superior
but that the consoles had much better cinematics and it has to be due to the dvd; because the console plays the cinematics like a movie all prerendered.
don`t get me wrong i don`t think consoles have better games.

dhlucke

Polypheme
I admit the game cinematics for consoles are sometimes mind boggling but then you get into the game and it's not that great.

I don't really demand that from my games though and I would assume others don't as well. If there was demand for the movies I'm sure they would be there.

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
yeah i mena pc games are much much better
i would just love to have the cinematics
and come to think if it a good fighting game like dead or alive 3
that game is sick, some of the best console graphics i`ve ever seen and the only reason i bought the xbox

i agree fighting gmaes and sports games a far superior on consoles than pc but i prefer to play those on console instead of pc, much easier configuration. face it fps, rpg, rts belong on pc and sports, fighting belong on consoles.
as for the cinematics/graphics... pc anyday, granted the opening movies for consoles rock, but i dont play the games for the opening movies... i play for funfactor and replayability, i do like to get suprised with good movies during the game, but thats not the ole reason for gaming.

I work therefore I am conservative.
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
imagine a fighting game on the pc
with a controller that actually worked right
that would be sweet

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i remember people talking about a microsoft controller that was good but has not been available for quite some time.
the other problem with pc`s is all or most games are 1 person
a fighting/sports game really needs 2 player

DFenn

Distinguished
May 7, 2003
Think it was called a Sidewinder, had lots of programable buttons and stuff. Seem to remember them doing a rumble pack version although not quite sure?

K7S5A, XP2200, 768RAM, 9600XL, 120HDD
(Grumpy Old Gamer)