Good book for learning advanced networking?

s0me0ne

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I need to learn about dhcp, dmz, spi, nat, gateways and such. Can anyone point to a good book that covers these rather well.

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
look for a something like a CCNA book or perhaps a Network+ book. Good for working towards certifications.

<font color=blue> If it ain't broke, don't fix it...tweak it.</font color=blue>

Sounds like CCNP or CCIE to be honest.

Look for "Que" books. I have the Cisco router one, and it's grwat for the CCNA. The next one up sounds like the one you want.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
What do you want to learn, and why? I can point out a number of good books, but if you have little or no experience they won't help you much... (I have a book that spends almost a hundred pages on the different LSA's for OSPF). On the other hand there are a lot of good introduction texts that cover the major topics of networking. By reading your question I am guessing the latter, 'cause while dhcp, nat and gateways can be made complicated they are fairly basic themes in networking.
Again, it all depends on what you want to learn about and why. The terms you mentioned (coupled with your nick) gives me feeling that you want to be an 1337 h4x0r, but I apologize if I'm wrong. If that is the case though, start playing with a *NIX and get going, you will learn about all those terms quickly as you go through the different daemons and servers anyway...

Dev

Poor windows was not a brave soul. Threatened by the force of General Protection and Major Problem the little OS committed suicide by hanging.

s0me0ne

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I dont care about being a hacker. I need to learn these, so I can go past my firewall/router and understand how to use it better. Right now a lot of the acronymns I have no idea what they mean.

that is why I want to learn

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
rofl, ccie to learn about stuff like nat!!! that stuff is so basic, comparing it to ccie is rediculous.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Yea, just learn CCNA. Hey I'm 17 and I'll soon have my CCNA certification. Aside from the router configuration stuff (which is hard to memorize if you don't have an actual cisco router to play around with), it's really easy.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
you dont even need to know most things in ccna. that is too advanced to just learn stuff like what is on his list of stuff he wants to learn about.

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

rofl, ccie to learn about stuff like nat!!! that stuff is so basic, comparing it to ccie is rediculous.
you dont even need to know most things in ccna. that is too advanced to just learn stuff like what is on his list of stuff he wants to learn about.
So NAT on it's own is not CCIE, sure. The rest is too advanced for CCNA.

That's why I recommended CCIE. :tongue:

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
too basic for ccna? you learn that stuff in net+

frisky

Distinguished
May 25, 2003
Hmm.... Might be best not to underestimate issues with NAT.

NAT can get pretty messy when you are dealing with
supporting IPSEC over NAT, multiple NAT, conditional NAT,
NATing both source and destination addresses etc.

On the other hand, I think not even CCIE will cover which IOS version supports the NAT Traversal feature,
so it is important to find the level of information needed,
else you might end up on a wild goose chase.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i think we are on different levels here. from what i gathered from the first guys question is he wanted to know stuff about home routers. nothing on a large scale. the reason i think that is because he obviously has very little knowledge about networking already. to jump right into a cisco training is laughable.

I need to learn about dhcp, dmz, spi, nat, gateways and such. Can anyone point to a good book that covers these rather well.
Doesn't sound like a home setup. Big home setup maybe.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
every thing listed is already in a simple linksys router. exept the spi, thats more on the programing side of things. i doubt you will even learn that in any cisco classes.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
CCIE??!! Jeez, I'm sure s0me0ne would be happy spending ~$10000 to get to know dhcp and nat. Only one of the five terms he mentioned is on the Routing and Switching exam (gateways). DMZ is on the Security exam. Nat is on the written depending on which version. An MCSE would be a better target for him.
One of our students went from CCNA to CCIE in 12 weeks, but most others I know spend at least 6+ months and many thousands of dollars to get there. The CCIE is the hardest IT cert to attain and I doubt s0me0ne is prepared for that.
[shameless plug]
However, if you want to get the CCIE I would highly recommend our school in beautiful Southern California. Go to www.ictp.com and check it out.
[/shameless plug]

s0me0ne, why don't you get a Safari Bookshelf account with O'Reilly? You can try it out for two weeks for free, and it is a good investment towards learning any computer related topics. Check it out

Dev

---
My Sig:
))
(( ___________________
|||_____________|_____|