ACPI problem during WinXP install with SB X-Fi ExtremeMusic

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Had this problem with 2 different mobos and 2 of the above sound cards (replaced the card because I thought it was faulty at first).

Anyway, each time, at the start of the windows installation, I get a nice BSOD telling me that the motherboard is not fully ACPI compliant. This problem only occurs when I have the sound card installed. My system specs are below.

I finally overcame the problem by disabling the ACPI in BIOS, but being a curious type, would like to know if any of you guys had an idea why this problem was occuring.

Thx in advance,

Covered_in_Bees

System spec:

Coolermaster Stacker case
2 x 120mm intake fans
1 x 120mm & 3 x 80mm exhaust fans
Antec 480W TrueBlue
ASUS A8N32-SLi (previous mobo was Abit Fatal1ty A8N)
FX-55 Clawhammer
2 x 1GB Corsair TwinX 3500LL Pro
XFX 7800 GTX Extreme XXX
SB X-Fi ExtremeMusic
4 x WD740 'Raptor'
Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW
Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Firstly, thanks for the prompt response.

I checked that article, and also did some futher investigations on the Creative web site, and it appears that this is a known problem. Creative suggest that the problem lies with the BIOS of those motherboards with this 'feature'. However, I am currently running under revision 1009 (AMI) which is the latest available.

As I currently have the system up and running, I am not too concerned at this time. However, I am not quite sure if there will be any future implications to my solution (which was disabling ACPI in BIOS). Whilst I consider myself to be a relatively advanced computer user, I cannot claim to understand the potential effects of disabling the ACPI in BIOS :roll:

Thx again,

Covered_in_Bees

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Check out power options in your control panel and see if the regular options are still there.

I probably would have just installed XP with the sound card out.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Hi Codesmith,

I checked the power options in the control panel, and they all seem to be there (although I don't use them - switched all to 'Never').

I did consider taking out the soundcard and running with onboard sound (and probably would have done so if my solution hadn't worked), but was keen to get the full effect from the new speakers (Logitech Z-5450).

After much searching, I did find some interesting threads on various forums about this mobo, and some of the problems I am experiencing are not uncommon, it seems.

Bottom line, though, is that the system is up and running, and so far seems to be stable (although 1 day is not really much of a test of stability :p ).