Cannot boot from RAID with A8N32-SLi ?

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Hi all

Just switched motherboards in preparation for an SLi setup (still waiting on a new PSU), and I can't seem to set the RAID array as bootable. The RAID utility has the option to set the array as bootable, but it is not selectable (grayed out).

Tried to install WinXP anyway, and installed the 2 nvRaid drivers from the floppy provided with my previous motherboard (Abit Fatal1ty A8N - the ASUS didn't come with a disk), but to no avail.

Does anyone know if this motherboard supports booting from a RAID array, or am I just being hopelessly optimistic ?

Thx in advance,

Covered_in_Bees

System spec:

Coolermaster Stacker case
2 x 120mm intake fans
1 x 120mm & 3 x 80mm exhaust fans
Antec 480W TrueBlue (waiting for Tagan TG580-U15)
ASUS A8N32-SLi (previous mobo was Abit Fatal1ty A8N)
FX-55 Clawhammer
2 x 1GB Corsair TwinX 3500LL Pro
XFX 7800 GTX Extreme XXX (490MHz)
SB X-Fi ExtremeMusic
4 x WD740 'Raptor'
Plextor PX-716A DVD-RW
Linksys Wireless-G PCI adapter

kolemunky

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
You need to create a driver disk with the installation cd that came with the motherboard. Then use it during winxp installation when it asks you to press f6.................

Ots

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
Also you need to create the RAID array after proper BIOS settings by doing F10 after POST. You may have already done so but it's not clear from your message.

Covered_in_bees

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Thx for the replies.

kolemunky: didn't think to check there :roll: I will do so when I remember where I put the CD

Ots: I can see I wasn't very clear there. I did the following steps when first installing:

1. Changed all settings in BIOS to activate the RAID array for SATA 1 and 2

2. As there was already an existing RAID 0 array for these disks, the RAID utility reported a healthy array during POST , so I just waited to see if it would boot straight to Windows (similar chipset to previous mobo...) - this was unsuccessful of course

3. Rebooted and went into RAID utility (F10) - first tried to Clear, then eventually Deleted the array and rebuilt it

Even after the following steps, I could not set the array to bootable in the RAID utility (Media something or other - can't remember exactly) as the option is grayed out. There is another option next to it that is also grayed out, but can't remember what that is either.

Eventually deactivated the RAID and installed the OS onto 1 of the disks. Unfoturnately, I am reluctant to have another go at setting the RAID up until I get my spare PC up and running again (that died just after I tried installing the new mobo in this system :p )

I should have time over the weekend to give this another go, and will let you know if I am successful.

Thx again

Maxiius

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
On my asus a8n32-sli cd, It did not come with the correct raid bootdisk files, only had windows 2k / server and something else cant remember exactly. I had to download the XP raid bootdisk files from internet, slap em on a floppy then install windows, hit f6, etc. etc...