If no OC, Opty or AMD X2?

parkerkane

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2006
If you aren't planning on overclocking the Opteron, is there any point in getting it over a dual core A64? I've read about a lot of people getting the Opty and every one of them says they will overclock. I'm not comfortable doing that so I was wondering if there was any advantage (other than OC'ing) of getting the Opty vs. the X2. Any opinions would be welcome.

RichPLS

Champion
They run a tad cooler and are manufactured to slightly higher standards for reliablility, and the cost is about the same for similar model of X2.
When I got my Opty 175 in Dec, the oem one I got was $459 from NewEgg, while there was not an oem X2 available, the retail X2-4400 was $519. So I saved $60 by getting an Opteron.

bagg

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2006
Another advantage the Opteron has over the X2 3800, 4200 and 4600 is the 1MB cache on each core, altough the Opteron is clocked 200MHZ slower than their X2 equivalents.

RichPLS

Champion
Huh?

How is the Opteron 175 clocked 200MHz lower than its counterpart X2-4400?

Or how is the Opteron 180 clocked 200MHz lower than its counterpart X2-4800?

I think you need to edumacate yerself on the facts, before spouting erroneous info.

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
If you aren't planning on overclocking the Opteron, is there any point in getting it over a dual core A64? I've read about a lot of people getting the Opty and every one of them says they will overclock. I'm not comfortable doing that so I was wondering if there was any advantage (other than OC'ing) of getting the Opty vs. the X2. Any opinions would be welcome.

I'm loving my opty and I haven't even OC it yet (I plan to though). They run a tad cooler and come with a much better stock hsf. So it'll be great if you dont OC but the ease and potential is there to OC if you decide to later.

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

I'm loving my opty and I haven't even OC it yet (I plan to though). They run a tad cooler and come with a much better stock hsf. So it'll be great if you dont OC but the ease and potential is there to OC if you decide to later.

damn 2 vid cards. You got money to burn. How is it? I got a opty 175 but haven't hooked up my comp yet. I want to OC but a little afraid to. :twisted:

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006

damn 2 vid cards. You got money to burn. How is it? I got a opty 175 but haven't hooked up my comp yet. I want to OC but a little afraid to. :twisted:

Why yes, yes I do! :p jk. I just worked 40days in a row so I thought I deserved something. I'm loving it so far. I've been out of town for a couple of days after i built it (just got back) so tonight I'll finally get some games installed on it, stuff installs fast and restarts fast too when doing drivers and such.

I'm little p#$$ed off at my mobo though as the chipset and chipset fan are in a HORRIBLE place. I got the DFI for great OC abilities but the chipset is right at the end in between both videocards. So to the left it has the exhuast of the top card coming into it and on the right is where half the SATA connections are and all of the IDE connections! So airflow into the case gets blocked by the wire connectors and the only aiflow that gets brought to it is the hot exhaust from the top vid card! My chipset runs at 50C right now! Going to put a 120mm fan on the door of the case and see if that helps.

If I can't fix that problem OC will be limited for me, ironically as I have the best mobo for OCing too! GRRR

And got 25000 (got 15000 using only one card) on 3DMark03 on stock everything, so far, only ran it once

tvfreak

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005

Why yes, yes I do! :p jk. I just worked 40days in a row so I thought I deserved something. I'm loving it so far. I've been out of town for a couple of days after i built it (just got back) so tonight I'll finally get some games installed on it, stuff installs fast and restarts fast too when doing drivers and such.

I'm little p#$$ed off at my mobo though as the chipset and chipset fan are in a HORRIBLE place. I got the DFI for great OC abilities but the chipset is right at the end in between both videocards. So to the left it has the exhuast of the top card coming into it and on the right is where half the SATA connections are and all of the IDE connections! So airflow into the case gets blocked by the wire connectors and the only aiflow that gets brought to it is the hot exhaust from the top vid card! My chipset runs at 50C right now! Going to put a 120mm fan on the door of the case and see if that helps.

If I can't fix that problem OC will be limited for me, ironically as I have the best mobo for OCing too! GRRR

And got 25000 (got 15000 using only one card) on 3DMark03 on stock everything, so far, only ran it once

I have a DFI lanparty UT nf4 ultra-d. My 7800gt goes right across the the little fan on the mobo. I have 5 case fans (80mm) so hopefully I dont have any heating issues. 2 in the front blowing in, 2 at the back and 1 on top all blowing out. So what should the temp be running at when it's idle and what the should temp be at when it's running programs like games or downloading and what not? :twisted:

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
Well my last mobo with just a passive chipset heatsink was 34C but that was an NF3 mobo. I don't know for sure for the cpu as I just built the thing but it's usually underload getting to 50C is around the beginning of the "high temp" range, as in too hot. usually

I don't have nearly as many fans, mines a quiet case for now anyway. I've got one 140mm fan in the front blowing air into the case and one 120mm fan in the back blowing it out. May be adding another 120mm to the window/side to hopefully cool the chipset.

I have a Zalman VF700Cu-LED laying around that I never got to put on my last videocard (broke as I was preparing to put it on) that I could use on the top card that way the hot air wouldn't really be directed in on spot, but just not over clock it as it'd be weird and I imagine hard to have just one GPU overclocked. I'd love to one on each but my PCI wireless network card would be in the way of the bottom one. Maybe look into those nvidia silencers as theyd be about the same as the stock cooler just a bit bigger and the oppisite directions (blows the hot air out the back through a pci panel slot)

That's something to think about later I don't plan to OC right away, plus I still have more prelimnary stuff to install first like wireless keyboard and mouse and my storage HDD with over 120GB of game ISO files, hehe :p Not to mention install some games on it finally