What processor can I upgrade to?

Gubz

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
:roll: My computer is slow and i wud like to upgrade my processor i have a compaq presario s715ouk with a shitty intel celeron 2.8 ghz processor ive got a nvidia geforce 6200 just bought 256mb 8xagp 1gig of ram i aint really botherd about all of this just wen i try to multi task to much the comp begins to slow i have many friends so i can upgrade for very cheap id like an amd athlon 3ghz but i wanna be sure i can upgrade to this does anyone happen to kno wot processor my computer will take, ty :)

DH EDIT: I'm editing your title and you should proofread what you wrote.

You'd essentially be building an entirely new midtower, needing a case, ATX12v PSU, mb, cpu, and PCIe video card, and new memory...

What kind of multitasking environment are you engaged in?

(Look at an NF4 socket 939 board, and an X2-3800 dual core A64..add a 7800GT for nice gaming, or if not 3d gaming, can add jsut about any sub-$100 card form ATI or Nvidia for nice 2d)

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah your stuck with intel on that board man. Your gonna need to buy a whole new motherboard with a socket 939 to support AMD athlon 64. Otherwise, your gonna have to find a socket 478 Northwood as DVD suggests. Oh, DVD is also known as Mr. Intel just so you know. He lovessssssssss Intel. :wink:

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I know you love AMD man. In fact, instead of the plant poll thing, why don't you take a poll and let us guess how many times you've said AMD in these forums ...