Having problems with my new build

DJSpeedy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
Ok - I built my first PC but don't have the technical expertise to troubleshoot the problem.

The CPU is a P4 3.2ghz - motherboard is a socket 775 of course. :)

I hooked up all the connections properly, and I get power and mobo LED's - but here's what it does.

Upon powerup, I see the monitor "self-test" logo briefly, then the graphics card BIOS message - then I see the P4 logo, and hear a beep.

Not more than 2 seconds later, the cycle repeats. I can see the lights on the keyboard blink, indicating it is at least recognizing a keyboard installed, but I still cannot seem to bring up a BIOS screen.

Tried to clear CMOS without success.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Hmmm, sounds like the reset button maybe hooked up wrong or is stuck, defective or something.

But that is just a haunch, you really don't post enough information.

give a list of all the hardware in your system, list all cards, memory etc.

Also you say you tried to clear cmos? How did you do this?

Do you have an OS installed or are you at the first initial stages of firing up?

DJSpeedy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
Mobo is a DFI socket 775, 800FSB, onboard LAN & Sound

500w PSU
P4 640 with HT, 3.2ghz
RAM is 2 512mb 184-pin DIMMS
SoundWave Pro PCI sound card
GeForce 5200 FX vid card
16x DVD-RW/48x CD-RW combo drive
a small 8gb HD

There is a jumper on the MOBO that I could "select" to clear the CMOS data, but unfortunately I've misplaced the mobo manual now so I cannot re-locate it. :(

I also tried taking out the sound card - same result.

Unplugged the reset button cable - again no change. :(

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Mobo is a DFI socket 775, 800FSB, onboard LAN & Sound

500w PSU
P4 640 with HT, 3.2ghz
RAM is 2 512mb 184-pin DIMMS
SoundWave Pro PCI sound card
GeForce 5200 FX vid card
16x DVD-RW/48x CD-RW combo drive
a small 8gb HD

There is a jumper on the MOBO that I could "select" to clear the CMOS data, but unfortunately I've misplaced the mobo manual now so I cannot re-locate it. :(

I also tried taking out the sound card - same result.

Unplugged the reset button cable - again no change. :(

Ok, with power off take out the Soundwave audio card.

Also find the watch like battery on the board and remove it.

Unplug the pc from power source. wait 30-60 sec.

put the battery back in, plug in computer.

Additionally why is your hard drive so small? Is this an old drive or what?
What kind of drive is it? PATA,SCSI?

I would think the drives are backward compatible and should work, but drives are cheap, I'd go out and buy one on sale... you'll need the space sooner or later.

I did a search for you motherboard but I've got like 12 possibilities, you know your model # or chipset?

Don't put the audio card back in until after you have windows installed and make sure you disable your onboard sound first in the bios as they would likely conflict with one another.

So try the battery trick to clear the cmos and see if you can get into the bios.

DJSpeedy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
The mobo model # is 865PE-TAG.

The battery trick didn't work - still in that infinite loop.

I also took the sound card out in the meantime.

The HD is small because it is an old one - I am just trying to get this box running before I transfer my other (bigger) drives over to it - I believe it has Win95 on it - it's been a while since I've used it. It's a WD Caviar drive.

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
Ok I found something in the manual that I think is describing what is going on.

Manual is located here:

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Upload/Manual/865pe-tag%2083500441.pdf

Under system error messages it says:

Keyboard is locked out, Unlock the key.

The Bios detects that the keyboard is locked. Keyboard controller is pulled low.

{not sure but they may mean num lock has been depressed, pretty weird}

Then a little lower from there:

Manufacturing POST loop:

System will repeat POST procedure infinitely while the keyboard controller is pull low. This is also used for the M/B burn in test at the factory.

so maybe make sure num lock is off / scroll lock / caps lock and try it again. Additionally it shows pics to reset the bios and all the other stuff.

But all signs point to something going on with the keyboard. Not sure what they mean by "pull low" though. My guess is Num Lock.

Another reason to never lose the Mobo manual. 8O

DJSpeedy

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2005
It doesn't matter if the keyboard is plugged in or not. Same result with no variance with or without.

Thanks for the manual - though it was MUCH different than the one that came iwth the mobo.

I was able to check a few things, but nothing seemed to help, unfortunately.

Though I may have an idea of the problem.

There is one line in the posted manual that says "Peel backing from thermal paste on cooling fan first". This passage I never saw - only - "be careful not to touch the paste on the bottom".

So - I think by NOT doing the former, it didn't cause the paste to disperse evenly, and I may have damaged the CPU, but I would think if that were the case the P4 logo wouldn't come up at all.

Ah well - I think it's time to let a local shop take a look at it.

Thanks for the help at any rate.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I don't think the CPU is damaged. Just take the HSF off, take off the thermal paste that's there, clean it thoroughly and apply some new paste or AS5 or equivalent. Reseat the HSF.

More than likely that is whats causing your problem. Probably because the HSF isn't seated right because of the improperly installed paste.