VPN & Windows ME

I have been monitoring this group from afar and have not found what I am
looking for, so here goes!!

Our little company of 10 odd people have given me the task of configuring a
VPN.

I inherited this network setup so don't scream. Personally, I have just
enough networking and computer skills to be dangerous ( I have been able to
fix most of crashes).

Anyway, here goes.

The network consists of mainly Windows 2000 (all updated to lates SP) PC's
with one computer that is designated as the file server with NT Workstation
(SP6).
We have a mix of laptops for the field guys (Windows 98SE and XP
Professional) and my own personal laptop with Windows ME.

The ISP is SBC Pacbell DSL with 5 static IP's.
The router to Pacbell is a Netopia Cayman 3500. Behind the router is a
Netgear FVL328 VPN Firewall.
The client software is Netgear ProSafe VPN Client Software.

The laptops will be the main users of the remote access.

Sticking my laptop in front of the Netgear, but behind the Netopia I was
able to configure the client software to get into the network. I could ping
the computers within the network, but when I try to access them through the
network neighborhood, they are not there.

As recommended in the setup of the client software, I installed connections
on the dialup networking with both the microsoft VPN Adapter and the Safenet
(client software). One saysit cannot connect and the other tells me the
other computer "refuses the VPN connection..." (or something like that,
also, I forgot which one did what).

Anyway, help!!! What am I missing in the setup? Is it Windows ME and if I
configure the Windows XP Professional using the network wizard for VPN, it
should be fine.
Also, is placing the laptop between the netgear and the netopia a valid test
of my configuration skills or should I just quietly go home!!

Weber-Hayes wrote:
> I have been monitoring this group from afar and have not found what I am
> looking for, so here goes!!
>
> Our little company of 10 odd people have given me the task of configuring a
> VPN.
>
> I inherited this network setup so don't scream. Personally, I have just
> enough networking and computer skills to be dangerous ( I have been able to
> fix most of crashes).
>
> Anyway, here goes.
>
> The network consists of mainly Windows 2000 (all updated to lates SP) PC's
> with one computer that is designated as the file server with NT Workstation
> (SP6).
> We have a mix of laptops for the field guys (Windows 98SE and XP
> Professional) and my own personal laptop with Windows ME.
>
> The ISP is SBC Pacbell DSL with 5 static IP's.
> The router to Pacbell is a Netopia Cayman 3500. Behind the router is a
> Netgear FVL328 VPN Firewall.
> The client software is Netgear ProSafe VPN Client Software.
>
> The laptops will be the main users of the remote access.
>
> Sticking my laptop in front of the Netgear, but behind the Netopia I was
> able to configure the client software to get into the network. I could ping
> the computers within the network, but when I try to access them through the
> network neighborhood, they are not there.
>
> As recommended in the setup of the client software, I installed connections
> on the dialup networking with both the microsoft VPN Adapter and the Safenet
> (client software). One saysit cannot connect and the other tells me the
> other computer "refuses the VPN connection..." (or something like that,
> also, I forgot which one did what).
>
> Anyway, help!!! What am I missing in the setup? Is it Windows ME and if I
> configure the Windows XP Professional using the network wizard for VPN, it
> should be fine.
> Also, is placing the laptop between the netgear and the netopia a valid test
> of my configuration skills or should I just quietly go home!!

Network Neighbourhood will never work with your setup. In general you
should just forget about using network neighborhood to browse your
network when connected through a VPN. It can be done but it is a bit of
voodoo magic. You would need a real Windows server running as a domain
controller (or a linux machine impersonating one) to have any hope of
getting Network Neighbourhood functionality through a VPN link.

As for the connection problem, The Netopia Cayman box has some built in
VPN abilities. If it is functional as a router in any way then it will
likely be blocking the inbound traffic. If it's just acting as a
passive bridge then it should be ok. If the Netopia box is giving you
private IP's (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x, 172.16-31.x.x) then it is blocking
the inbound traffic. Myself I actually use Netopia equipment all the
time as VPN endpoints, they work well, are problem free, and are cheap.
The Netopia 3386-ENT is directly comparable to the FVL328 Netgear box.

The other possibility is that Pacbell DSL blocks VPN protocols for your
connection. I have heard that some providers are blocking VPN ports for
some connections. IE: Residential accounts are blocked but business
accounts with static IP's would work. This is hard to test for. It is
usually also hard to find a CSR in a typical call centre who would know
enough about their network and VPN to tell you if it should work or not.
Because you have static IP service it is less likely that they are
blocking access, but if you are testing from home on a connection that
has the VPN ports blocked you may be having this problem. VPN port
blocking has become more rare over time. The vast majority of providers
do not filter internet access in this way any longer.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Thank you. I thought that we would need a real server, but hoped it was not
the case.

As to the Netopia, it was part of the Pacbell package, to use the VPN
function is a monthly charge. With Pacbell's support, we were able to a
tunnel to the Netgear, but it was the next tier that I was having difficulty
with.

Thanks for the support
Frances