Rounting in Pocket Street?

September 19, 2004 12:21:14 AM

Does the Pocket Street come with Streets&Trips 2005
support routing?

Thanks
Eric

More about : rounting pocket street

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 2:19:42 PM

Eric wrote:
> Does the Pocket Street come with Streets&Trips 2005
> support routing?
>
> Thanks
> Eric

No it does not.

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com

Darren Griffin - PocketGPS wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>> Does the Pocket Street come with Streets&Trips 2005
>> support routing?

> No it does not.

Well, then it's pretty much pointless, is it not?

--
Any and all mail sent to kar98@the-coalition.us will be deleted
automagically. Reply here or use Reply-To: instead

Not really pointless. I seem to recall years ago these things called paper
maps, which didn't create routes for you but you could look at and figure
out how to get there. When someone told me what their address was I had go
to the back of the map and find the street name, and get the grid
coordinates so I could scour the D-4 square to find the street. The darn
things didn't even tell me where the McDonald's were. Trying to look at the
map and get the right portion open while not obstructing my vision was a
pain, and when I was done it would never fold back the way it was when I
bought it. I remember having to get a different one for every darn city I
went to. Long time ago, the gas stations gave them out for free, but they
are $5-$10 now, if you don't belong to one of those auto clubs.

With Pocket Streets I can still figure out a route, but now I just have to
type in the address and it goes right to it. It shows me where restaurants
and motels and all manner of things are. I can get dozens of cities right
in the palm of my hand, and never have to worry about it getting in the way,
or folding it up. If I hook a GPS to my PPC it'll even tell me where I am.
All this essentially for free. When I only paid about $25 for Street and
Trips and Pocket Streets came with it, how can I complain.

So, yea, it's not the greatest navigation package around, but it's certainly
not pointless. :)

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
"René" <kar98@the-coalition.us> wrote in message
> Darren Griffin - PocketGPS wrote:
> > Eric wrote:
> >> Does the Pocket Street come with Streets&Trips 2005
> >> support routing?
>
> > No it does not.
>
> Well, then it's pretty much pointless, is it not?
>

> --
> Any and all mail sent to kar98@the-coalition.us will be deleted
> automagically. Reply here or use Reply-To: instead

Anonymous
September 19, 2004 11:35:29 PM

René wrote:
> Well, then it's pretty much pointless, is it not?

Pretty much, whilst it may be useful for a tourist in a foreign city it
serves no navigation purposes, has no routing etc. There are many far
better packages for that purpose.

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com
The Premier GPS Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:54:22 PM

I have also got to agree with Sven here. While their are other packages that
do more, for an almost free product, it may do all you need. Also I can open
contacts and tap and hold on a name and be taken to where the address is on
an open map.

I do know of at least one MVP who would agree with you that it is pointless.
And I would not buy the version on Handango, as it lacks the mapping disk.
But for having a small foot print and being able to have more than one
program open at a time, it maybe all you need.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

"Sven, MVP-Mobile Devices" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not really pointless. I seem to recall years ago these things called paper
> maps, which didn't create routes for you but you could look at and figure
> out how to get there. When someone told me what their address was I had go
> to the back of the map and find the street name, and get the grid
> coordinates so I could scour the D-4 square to find the street. The darn
> things didn't even tell me where the McDonald's were. Trying to look at
> the
> map and get the right portion open while not obstructing my vision was a
> pain, and when I was done it would never fold back the way it was when I
> bought it. I remember having to get a different one for every darn city I
> went to. Long time ago, the gas stations gave them out for free, but they
> are $5-$10 now, if you don't belong to one of those auto clubs.
>
> With Pocket Streets I can still figure out a route, but now I just have to
> type in the address and it goes right to it. It shows me where restaurants
> and motels and all manner of things are. I can get dozens of cities right
> in the palm of my hand, and never have to worry about it getting in the
> way,
> or folding it up. If I hook a GPS to my PPC it'll even tell me where I am.
> All this essentially for free. When I only paid about $25 for Street and
> Trips and Pocket Streets came with it, how can I complain.
>
> So, yea, it's not the greatest navigation package around, but it's
> certainly
> not pointless. :)
>
> --
> Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices
> "René" <kar98@the-coalition.us> wrote in message
>> Darren Griffin - PocketGPS wrote:
>>
>> > No it does not.
>>
>> Well, then it's pretty much pointless, is it not?
>>

>> --
>> Any and all mail sent to kar98@the-coalition.us will be deleted
>> automagically. Reply here or use Reply-To: instead

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:26:28 AM

I certainly wouldn't buy Pocket Streets by itself. That is pointless ;)  You
are stuck with the maps that are available on MS's site, when for about the
same price you get a really good desktop mapping program, that you can cut
whatever map you want for Pocket Streets, which is essentially free.

--
Sven, MS-MVP Mobile Devices

!