AMD 3500+ having problems overclocking

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
specs:

AMD 3500+ venice
ASUS A8N-VM - Nforce 410 PCI-Express Mainboard - Micro ATX

I've made various tweaks to the bios of the system to improve performance and can navigate around it ok. However I am not able to find an option that allows me to overclock processor by just 10%. There are various items displayed in the relevant section of the bios but they are 'greyed out' and not selectable. How can I o/c my processor by just 10%, is there a utility that can enable this to be done within windows? eg. uguru.exe for abit motherboards.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have the same chip as you but on an ASRock 939Dual mobo. I was able to get it to 10% o/c quite easily but just setting the FSB to 219 and leaving everything else at normal. Make sure you do it in an Async mode with your pci-e bus so your pci-e bus dosnt go up with your fsb.

EllisD420

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Check out this link

Mobo Review

has some bios options in there, looks like in the advanced tab under config system frequency voltage is the option you are looking for. Reading further, it says that there are no voltage adjustments on this board so its not very overclock friendly. They said that the max they got the fsb to was 213 before hitting major problems. I would give it a shot at 210 and prime95 test it.

david_uk

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2005
ok I know how to do this now after reading the articles. so far overclocked 3500+ to 2.44ghz (from 2.2ghz). been benchmarking it using 3dmark06 and noting cpu scores. cpu score at start was 859 and is now 950. eventually hope to overclock fsb to 230mhz in the fullness of time. All I need now is a temperature monitoring tool that gauges cpu temp from within windows.

edit: actually don't think that temperature monitoring will be required after all. computer wouldn't restart at 220mhz so had to back off back to 216mhz. there doesn't seem to be any way of increasing core voltage setting on this motherboard. just got processor running at 2.4ghz now, still seems bloody fast though.