Sign in with
Your question

the best way to partition and format a new hard disk in NTFS

Last response: in Storage
February 10, 2006 9:18:38 PM

I want to partition a brand new 120 PATA maxtor hard disk to ten drives in NTFS and setup windows xp sp2. what is the best way to do it?
February 10, 2006 10:44:15 PM

Use the XP cd. When you get to the screen to set up the hd, Create as many partitions as you want. For the install, you only have to format the "C" drive. Format the others later in Comp. Management.

You only have to be careful with your arithmetic.
February 10, 2006 11:42:35 PM

Quote:
Format the others later in Comp. Management.

That was what i was worried about. formatting in windows.
Related resources
February 11, 2006 12:05:33 PM

Alright, you can try this:

Create your ten partitions as stated before. Exit the install, and reboot the cd. Get to the Recovery Console by pressing R.

At the prompt type map. Choose a letter, and format with this syntax:

format ?: /fs:ntfs

- where ? is the letter you are working on. There is a space between the colon and forward slash.

BTW, what do you have against formatting in Management?
February 11, 2006 12:47:30 PM

The easiest way is with partition magic 8.

I use a multi-boot utility CD that includes Partiton Magic 8 because I like the convience of a graphical user interface and the ability to see all my changes before committing to them.

Also it lets me do things that resize partitions without losing data.

I wouldn't say this is the best method, just my favorite.
February 11, 2006 5:31:38 PM

Quote:
Alright, you can try this:

Create your ten partitions as stated before. Exit the install, and reboot the cd. Get to the Recovery Console by pressing R.

At the prompt type map. Choose a letter, and format with this syntax:

format ?: /fs:ntfs

- where ? is the letter you are working on. There is a space between the colon and forward slash.

BTW, what do you have against formatting in Management?

Thanks for that.
I once formatted under windows 98 and it did something like weak format. had to format those drives under dos again. Thats why i was thinking not to format under windows.
February 11, 2006 5:59:58 PM

yeah if you still have a DOS boot disk from win98 you can do it that way too. Providing the disk isn't too big.

Use Fdisk first to delete / create partitions.

Reboot and then format the disk. It will format it to fat32 but this can be easily converted to NTFS once inside windows.

Just don't pay any attention to the sizing information and also the disk will probably have to be less than 137GB for this to work.

This method is pretty sloooow!, but it still works pretty well.
February 11, 2006 6:58:02 PM

Unplug the power on your cds/dvds first, if you're going to do it that way (in DOS). Expect to lose 8 to 20mb of space. Partition creation never gives you all.

Reconnect as soon as you're done.

If you opt to take care of it in Disk Management, where I really don't think there will be a problem; reclassify the rom drives' letters first to the end of the alphabet. Right-click to get that option.
February 11, 2006 7:01:54 PM

That has got to be the most ridiculous article I have ever read! A 2.9 gig C: partition?!?!? Windows will fill that up in no time unless you do A LOT of tweaking with temp directories and cache files. That's crazy! Partitions do not speed up anything, the same read heads have to travel the disk, and if the partitions are spread out widely over the drive it may actually slow it down!

Defrag regularly!

Put a minimun 10gig c: drive, and the rest for your programs, at most a 3rd for data, and this is only to make backups and or reinstalls easier!

Computer management is the same as the xp install utility for formatting. XP isn't even remotely like Win98, stop thinking like it is as it will just mess you up more!

Partition Magic is great, but basic users won't want/need to use it.

Two drives is a far better idea, through the swap file and your browser cache directories on the second drive along with data, and leave windows and programs on the first drive. That WILL be faster. Or stripe (RAID 0) the two drives, then partition into two or three drives, that will also speed it up a bit.

Basically, don't think like you used to and use partitions as folders, it will only slow things down more!
February 11, 2006 7:20:10 PM

You can use Linux fdisk, parted or the GUI diskdruid to partition your drives any way you want. However you will need to format the NTFS partitions with windoze.

Why 10 partitions tho? What are you planning to do with 10 partitions?

I dual and triple boot but only use 4.
February 11, 2006 7:52:25 PM

I think I will give disk management a try. I will make 8 partitions( i am used to 8 ). thought of making 10 partitions bcoz i thought on 120 GB 10 would work better.

Quote:
That has got to be the most ridiculous article I have ever read! A 2.9 gig C: partition?!?!?

ah! got it now

Quote:
Basically, don't think like you used to and use partitions as folders, it will only slow things down more!

yes i use partitions as folders. audio, music video , software, games etc has its own drive on my hard disk. i have 80 gb now and it has 8 partitions. works good!!

Quote:
You can use Linux fdisk

I stay long way away from linux for obvious reasons. :D 
February 11, 2006 7:56:24 PM

I meant that the article said a 2.9gb c drive.

One other thing to remember, if your drive fails, and you try to run recovery software, having multiple partitions makes it more difficult to recover data as there are multiple NTFS tables and they may get mixed up.
February 11, 2006 8:00:31 PM

What is wrong with Linux?

What are you going to use 10 partitions for?
February 11, 2006 8:53:40 PM

Quote:

If i had to ask a linux guy my question would be "What is right with Linux?". anyway the most important thing for me is games and software (hardware too) compatibility. nowadays many excellent free softwares are available for windows. and windows xp has that great shiny look!!

i have 8 equal partitions on 80 GB now.each here is how they r used now

C - windows and programs and small games
D - big games
E - audio song
F - games setup files
G - software
H - music video
I - music video + other videos
J - I use this for storing temporary files. I copy dvd vob files to this drive then watch rather watching directly from dvd drive. I think this will increase my dvd drive's life.

Quote:

One other thing to remember, if your drive fails, and you try to run recovery software, having multiple partitions makes it more difficult to recover data as there are multiple NTFS tables and they may get mixed up.

I got the 2.9 gb thing. even users like me who don't know much will reject that idea at first look i am sure. and i always write a cd when my downloaded music and videos get over 700 mb. and also keep important data on my laptop which i dont use. so i normally dont worry about data.

One other thing. I had a 80 GB maxtor 7200 rpm drive on a P4 2.4B GHz 533 bus cpu with gigabyte 845 mobo. When I bought a P4 3.0 GHz LGA 775 cpu with gigabyte 915 mobo it was significantly slower than the P4 2.4B. I did not understand first. Then found that the hard disk I used with the P4 3.0 GHz ( Quantum Fireball 30 GB ATA 33 ) was the problem. then I connected the 80 GB with the P4 3.0 and it was faster than the P4 2.4B pc. Then I used hdtune and found the following

Maxtor 80 GB 7200 rpm - avg transfer rate 45.5 MB/sec
Quantum Fireball 30 GB ATA 33 - avg transfer rate 16.1 MB/sec

That was a huge performance boost.
I wonder if i use two separate hard disk and put the page file in the other hard disk will i get this kind of improvement while playing big games. I have DDR 512 mb 400 bus ram.
February 11, 2006 9:11:37 PM

Quote:

If i had to ask a linux guy my question would be "What is right with Linux?". anyway the most important thing for me is games and software (hardware too) compatibility. nowadays many excellent free softwares are available for windows. and windows xp has that great shiny look!!

GNU/Linux is a great operating system. It is very stable, relatively very secure, very fast (especially on AMD64) has great networking and can even run certain windoze games and apps. Is legally 100% free, open source, supports 64GB or more RAM, 48bit LBA and any number of Single Core or Dual Core CPUs.

GNU/Linux can be made to run almost anything with the right tools including but not limited to DOS and windows apps and games that XP can no longer run. :D 

Quote:

i have 8 equal partitions on 80 GB now.each here is how they r used now

C - windows and programs and small games
D - big games
E - audio song
F - games setup files
G - software
H - music video
I - music video + other videos
J - I use this for storing temporary files. I copy dvd vob files to this drive then watch rather watching directly from dvd drive. I think this will increase my dvd drive's life.

I got the 2.9 gb thing. even users like me who don't know much will reject that idea at first look i am sure. and i always write a cd when my downloaded music and videos get over 700 mb. and also keep important data on my laptop which i dont use. so i normally dont worry about data.

One other thing. I had a 80 GB maxtor 7200 rpm drive on a P4 2.4B GHz 533 bus cpu with gigabyte 845 mobo. When I bought a P4 3.0 GHz LGA 775 cpu with gigabyte 915 mobo it was significantly slower than the P4 2.4B. I did not understand first. Then found that the hard disk I used with the P4 3.0 GHz ( Quantum Fireball 30 GB ATA 33 ) was the problem. then I connected the 80 GB with the P4 3.0 and it was faster than the P4 2.4B pc. Then I used hdtune and found the following

Maxtor 80 GB 7200 rpm - avg transfer rate 45.5 MB/sec
Quantum Fireball 30 GB ATA 33 - avg transfer rate 16.1 MB/sec

That was a huge performance boost.
I wonder if i use two separate hard disk and put the page file in the other hard disk will i get this kind of improvement while playing big games. I have DDR 512 mb 400 bus ram.

That was not my statement
February 11, 2006 9:33:04 PM

Quote:
That was not my statement

it was a copy/paste mistake.

u think those who spend $150 are idiots? i don't think so.
February 11, 2006 10:02:20 PM

I use windows almost exclusively, have 3 windows 2003 advanced servers, and 5 xp pro boxes. I still use linux for my firewall, sql servers, and asterisk box. Linux is better than windows as an os, but windows is easier for me to use day in and day out. They both have advantages but I must say paying MS for their stuff is pretty bad compared to linux.
February 12, 2006 5:08:18 AM

Sounds like way to much extra work unless u want to use the logical drives for net drive assignments....
February 12, 2006 5:13:42 AM

I'd keep the page file ont the 80GB
February 12, 2006 5:16:04 AM

Not to tear you down... but, what fun can you have using Linux?
(tried 3 versions and they work great, but where' the fun?)
February 12, 2006 7:19:26 AM

Quote:
Not to tear you down... but, what fun can you have using Linux?
(tried 3 versions and they work great, but where' the fun?)

You can have a lot of fun.

Linux can play audio and video beautifully, including CDs and DVDs, makes a great DVR, allows you to stream audio and video throughout your house or across the globe, can run native Linux games and with special tweaking and software can even run certain windows games and apps and a LOT more :-D

All this for free -- what's not to like?
!