Problems connecting to VPN server behind DSL modem/router

Last response: in Networking
September 17, 2004 3:08:42 AM

I'm trying to set up a VPN server using XP Pro behind a Speedstream
5200 DSL modem/router. Got it configured, can establish a VPN session
when connected from another client on the LAN. When I try to come in
from the outside, I get error 721: Remote server not responding, after
apparently verifying username and password.

Has anyone had any luck configuring VPN with 5200?

I've enabled PPTP port 1723 and TCP port 47 to forward to the VPN
server LAN IP (192.168.254.253). Updated firmware, tried turning off
the firewall (temporarily), didn't help. ISP is Frontier and they're
saying they're not blocking ports 1723 and 47. Any ideas?
Anonymous
September 17, 2004 2:46:11 PM

Andrei338 wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a VPN server using XP Pro behind a Speedstream
> 5200 DSL modem/router. Got it configured, can establish a VPN session
> when connected from another client on the LAN. When I try to come in
> from the outside, I get error 721: Remote server not responding, after
> apparently verifying username and password.
>
> Has anyone had any luck configuring VPN with 5200?
>
> I've enabled PPTP port 1723 and TCP port 47 to forward to the VPN
> server LAN IP (192.168.254.253). Updated firmware, tried turning off
> the firewall (temporarily), didn't help. ISP is Frontier and they're
> saying they're not blocking ports 1723 and 47. Any ideas?

Make sure that the 5200 will pass GRE protocol. It's a seperate protocol
from TCP and UDP. Many routers will not support this - i suspect this
may be the problem.
!