939 cooler with some restrictions

fluffypenguin

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Hello everyone, first post ^^

So I'm looking into getting a cooler to replace the one that come with my X2 3800 (noisey). I have read through many of the threads, but one thing I read on a different site mentioned that if a heatsink exceeded something in the order of 600+ grams it could damage the CPU in the process of moving. And since I'm still in college and I bring my computer home for breaks that caught my attention. I had narrowed down my choices to the Thermalright XP-120 or XP-90 with a panaflo fan. I was wondering if anybody had insight on the weight issue and any recomendations in general, I believe I am restricted on the size of the coolers by my case 19.8x47.5x42.6 (80mm fan on side panel)

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
OCZ Modstream 520W

neveruseaol

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
I was worried about the same thing. I found, even though it is a little beefy, the CoolerMaster HYPER 6+ is one of the best coolers out there. It is not only quite, but it does perform high in the category. If your mobo is mounted at all mount points, your heatsink is attached properly, and you are careful (as you should be) moving your computer, you should have no problems at all.

Also, the CoolerMaster only goes for about $50, not that big of a shot in the pocket.

BTW, I am a college student too and understand your worries. I hate having to move my computer all the time.

Enjoy
DC

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Well, you might want to consider the Thermalright SI-97A and Panaflo Fan. I use the SI-97, which is for Socket A processors, but the SI-97A is the same heatsink only for BOTH Socket A or Socket 939. It is very light at only 280 grams, the fan is about 110 grams, coming well under 600 grams total. The combination works extremely well. I currently run my XP Mobile 2600+ at 2.3 and have gotten it to 2.5 before stability issues arrised. This heatsink kept the temps at about 36C idle and never past 46C under load on the highest clocks. Granted it is a mobile processor so it supposed to run cooler to begin with, but read the reviews on the heatsink for yourself.

The total height with a 25mm thick 92mm fan is 100mm. If this will fit in your case, then I highly recommend this heatsink combo as it is very light and works very well. I've also ordered from Sidewinder before and have never had problems with them before, in case you have any issues about ordering from a company different from the mainstream ones.

On top of it all, this thing just looks cool. There's gotta be some props for that as well, right?

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Once the processor is sandwiched between the heatsink and motherboard everythich should be pretty robust, but I've seen some pretty flimsy aftermarket brackets, especially on the LGA775. Usually it's on the back plate where the manufacturer has just threaded the plate or used some insert with only friction retention and not one with a decent shoulder.

Anyway, the Zalman CNPS9500 only weighs a bit over 500g, and the Gigabyte G-Power Cooler is a bit lighter, if that helps.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
I've never heard a HSF breaking itself off from the mobo. I have a Thermaltake Big Typhoon on mine and it's big as it is heavy but Im not worry of any breakage. I go to lan parties and I move my rig all the time. So if you installed the HSF properly then there should be no cpu or socket damage to worry about.

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
The XP90 can be picked up for about 30 dollars on froogle.com and a little 92mm fan can be put on it (or a massive vantec tornado). It is cheap, powerful and pretty cool looking and it keeps temps very low. I personally own one at home.

rsmart

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
As I said the Socket 939 approach seems more robust than the LGA 775 and one mounted should be fine. I must point out that my design background is in military electronics where the approach is "if there is ANY chance of a failure it must be corrected because it probably will cause (or be blamed for) a failure later" so maybe I'm overly cautious.

Check out page 3 of http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=370 for the kind of damage I'm talking about. I didn't photograph the similar failure I saw (and I've seen others that I'd consider potential failures). That was where the threaded insert had come loose and tension from the scew didn't retain it and it vibrated off eventually. Not my intallation (CMA statement).

Maybe I should resurect a old 386 that's probably in the cupboard somewhere, that didn't need a heatsink, let alone one with a fan :)