SP2 netwrork download or wait for the wu version

I've noticed that there are several microsoft sites offering the sp2 update
(which seems to be for network/business users) for download but on the wu
page you can only get it if you enable auto update.

Is there a difference between the network version (available now) and the wu
version??
4 answers Last reply
More about netwrork download wait version

    The Windows Update version is a lot smaller. I think the other one is about
    260 MB.

    "tom_the-confused" <tomtheconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:3FA6F786-F5A6-4D5F-BAC0-5AC1F0F01BA8@microsoft.com...

    Papa wrote:
    : The Windows Update version is a lot smaller. I think the other one is
    : about 260 MB.
    The size is only an issue if you have dial-up (order the CD or get it
    from friend) . The WU version is still over 100 MB. I have updated both
    ways and they took about the same amount of time. If you have all the
    updates before SP2 you are safe to wait and better prepared if spend
    some time cleaning up you box and finding out if any of the negative
    issues apply to you. My experience has been good but it's not a big
    deal.
    TonyS
    :
    : "tom_the-confused" <tomtheconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    : message news:3FA6F786-F5A6-4D5F-BAC0-5AC1F0F01BA8@microsoft.com...
    :: I've noticed that there are several microsoft sites offering the sp2
    :: update
    :: (which seems to be for network/business users) for download but on
    :: the wu page you can only get it if you enable auto update.
    ::
    :: Is there a difference between the network version (available now)
    :: and the wu
    :: version??

    Thanks

    Dare I ask what negative issues in particular?

    "TonyS" wrote:

    > Papa wrote:
    > : The Windows Update version is a lot smaller. I think the other one is
    > : about 260 MB.
    > The size is only an issue if you have dial-up (order the CD or get it
    > from friend) . The WU version is still over 100 MB. I have updated both
    > ways and they took about the same amount of time. If you have all the
    > updates before SP2 you are safe to wait and better prepared if spend
    > some time cleaning up you box and finding out if any of the negative
    > issues apply to you. My experience has been good but it's not a big
    > deal.
    > TonyS
    > :
    > : "tom_the-confused" <tomtheconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    > : message news:3FA6F786-F5A6-4D5F-BAC0-5AC1F0F01BA8@microsoft.com...
    > :: I've noticed that there are several microsoft sites offering the sp2
    > :: update
    > :: (which seems to be for network/business users) for download but on
    > :: the wu page you can only get it if you enable auto update.
    > ::
    > :: Is there a difference between the network version (available now)
    > :: and the wu
    > :: version??

    tom_the-confused wrote:
    : Thanks
    :
    : Dare I ask what negative issues in particular?

    There is no shortage of posts with links in this newsgroup and others to
    "negative issues" blamed on SP2. In my case, after the update, I
    installed the previous version of windows messenger, adjusted a few
    security settings and barely notice a change. The programs I use are all
    working well (so far).
    TonyS
    :
    : "TonyS" wrote:
    :
    :: Papa wrote:
    ::: The Windows Update version is a lot smaller. I think the other one
    ::: is about 260 MB.
    :: The size is only an issue if you have dial-up (order the CD or get it
    :: from friend) . The WU version is still over 100 MB. I have updated
    :: both ways and they took about the same amount of time. If you have
    :: all the updates before SP2 you are safe to wait and better prepared
    :: if spend some time cleaning up you box and finding out if any of the
    :: negative issues apply to you. My experience has been good but it's
    :: not a big deal.
    :: TonyS
    :::
    ::: "tom_the-confused" <tomtheconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    ::: in message
    ::: news:3FA6F786-F5A6-4D5F-BAC0-5AC1F0F01BA8@microsoft.com...
    :::: I've noticed that there are several microsoft sites offering the
    :::: sp2 update
    :::: (which seems to be for network/business users) for download but on
    :::: the wu page you can only get it if you enable auto update.
    ::::
    :::: Is there a difference between the network version (available now)
    :::: and the wu
    :::: version??

Download Microsoft Windows XP