thermal paste question

I just need to know, is it work getting some aftermarket thermal paste? I know back when I built my T-Bird 1ghz it made all the difference, but now, does the stuff that comes with the heatsink cut it?

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with a CoolerMaster HYPER 6+ sitting on a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo.

Thanks,
DC
12 answers Last reply
More about thermal paste question
  1. they only real way to know is to read the ingredients, on the given compared to the aftermarket, research the compounds and there you will find the answer, or look for benchmarks on thermal paste which i rarely see
  2. maybe toms could do that... compare thermal pastes, the cheap crap, compared to the 20 dollars a squeeze stuff... thatd be interesting to see...
  3. Quote:
    I just need to know, is it work getting some aftermarket thermal paste? I know back when I built my T-Bird 1ghz it made all the difference, but now, does the stuff that comes with the heatsink cut it?

I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ with a CoolerMaster HYPER 6+ sitting on a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo.

Thanks,
    DC

NO!
    Thermal GREASE only !!! (Shin Etsu)

or .. your warranty is gone!
    ....same to aftermarket "coolers"!

Athlon 64x2 runs quite "cool"
  4. yea unless u wanna overclock all the stock stuff is plenty fine for amd cpu's at least... intels have a history of throttling/overheating on stock cooling.. i didnt know putting on thermal paste voids ur warrenty? is that true?
  5. I recall them doing a basic analysis just recently, there was very little difference between compounds, you might do a search on toms and see if you can find it. I user arctic silver 5 and usually see a few degrees less than the factory applied tape.
  6. The thermal paste or pad that comes with the HS/F are alright. But if you're looking into better result in cooling your cpu, north bridge and graphics card, then you need to invest in aftermarket thermal paste or pad.

I have read a review, although I can't remember the site. They test some several product including aftermarket, the generic ones that comes with a product and even home products like toothpaste and peanutbutter, yeah it was funny to they include such thing.

In the end they have conlcuded that the aftermarket ones are the best when it comes to conducting heat away from the component. Besides being able to transer heat effeciently, it is also less non-conductive, it stay in place/ they don't run off due to heat and it last longer than the generic thermal paste.

The toothpaste and peanut butter failed obviously. I guess they have the idea of testing this product because some people used this stuff for first aid if they burned themselves in the kitchen.

The best advice is to get the aftermarket one like OCZ or Artic Silver.
  7. well i have artic silver and havnt noticed a drop in temps even with the side panel off.. although im sure its my faulty sensors since they say 50 is idle temp with cool n quiet enabled... the only reason i even got artic silver was because i heard the same thing every1 else has, it creates a better seal between the heatsink and cpu... but it hasnt done much in helping me
  8. I have the same result. I used the A.S. thermal paste and the sensor gave me 49/50c idle temps. But I think it was just the sensor, because I have the superaccurate temp sensor I bought from some electronic store and under the hsf it shows 42c. I've push my cpu as high as I can using the stress test and maximum speed of protien folding, and still no sign of overheating. The highest temp it goes was 54c.
  9. I've used AS 5 on quite a few CPUs and it seems to have at least a little effect for me, dropping by a few degrees C usually.
  10. Cool, thanks for all the input. Anyone know if there are any major retailers that carry Artic Silver? I thought CompUSA did, but i was there today and they said no. Does Fry's? Best Buy? Circuit City? I dont want to have to wait another week for it to come from an online distributor.

Thanks again for all the input.

DC
  11. compusa does sell it, i bought a tube there a lil bit ago... call them and ask... i had to look around for about 45 min to find it hidden next to some sleeving stuff.. ask some1 and they should have it in stock, it was 10 bux i think tho :/
  12. just a question about AS 5,what is it's indgrigents(or compound)they use to make it good..does it actually stick to the HSF when u use it???cuz somebody told me that it does stick to ur HSF when u use it..i know weird question but just a bit curious :P
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks Cooler Master Thermal Compound Overclocking