How to tell that toner in HP LJ 2100 is running out ?

Will there be any notification like special combination of blinking
lights (this printer doesn't have an LCD or LED screen) ? Or it will
just start spitting out blank pages ? Or the output will become
lighter gradually ?

On 1 Dec 2004 15:23:07 -0800, John_Doe@inbox.ru (John Doe) found these
unused words floating about:

>Will there be any notification like special combination of blinking
>lights (this printer doesn't have an LCD or LED screen) ? Or it will
>just start spitting out blank pages ? Or the output will become
>lighter gradually ?

First signs on mine were lighter portions, not the whole page.

At that point you can remove the cartridge, slap the ends, shake it and
reseat it for quite a few more pages. Meanwhile look for a sale on a new
one.

John Doe <John_Doe@inbox.ru> wrote:
> Will there be any notification like special combination of blinking
> lights (this printer doesn't have an LCD or LED screen) ? Or it will
> just start spitting out blank pages ? Or the output will become
> lighter gradually ?

It will get lighter and lighter, although the software will probably nag
at you first.

Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message news:<slrncqsokk.1q36.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>...
> John Doe <John_Doe@inbox.ru> wrote:
> > Will there be any notification like special combination of blinking
> > lights (this printer doesn't have an LCD or LED screen) ? Or it will
> > just start spitting out blank pages ? Or the output will become
> > lighter gradually ?
>
> It will get lighter and lighter, although the software will probably nag
> at you first.

What software ? The driver ? Did you actually see it ? I think if the
driver was able to determine this there would be some kind of "toner
level monitor" in the driver like there is for inkjets. But there is
no such monitor.

John Doe <John_Doe@inbox.ru> wrote:
> Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message news:<slrncqsokk.1q36.wblock@speedy.wonkity.com>...
>> John Doe <John_Doe@inbox.ru> wrote:
>> > Will there be any notification like special combination of blinking
>> > lights (this printer doesn't have an LCD or LED screen) ? Or it will
>> > just start spitting out blank pages ? Or the output will become
>> > lighter gradually ?
>>
>> It will get lighter and lighter, although the software will probably nag
>> at you first.
>
> What software ? The driver ? Did you actually see it ? I think if the
> driver was able to determine this there would be some kind of "toner
> level monitor" in the driver like there is for inkjets. But there is
> no such monitor.

I thought there was a notification in the software for the 2100, since
it has no display. But I don't have a 2100 at home, just use them for a
couple of clients.