Policy to prevent burning to CDR

Is there a policy in a Windows 2000 Server environment and XP laptops using
Active Directory to prevent users from burning files onto the CDR but still
allow access to the drive to read CD's

Thanks
Sam

Windows doesn't copy downloads directly to a CD.
You can download to your hard drive first, and then copy to a CD.

--
JerryM (ID)

MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
A man who can smile when things go wrong,
has thought of someone he can blame it on.

"Sam Wenger" <support@sng.ca> wrote in message news:eICH4DuiEHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Is there a policy in a Windows 2000 Server environment and XP laptops using
> Active Directory to prevent users from burning files onto the CDR but still
> allow access to the drive to read CD's
>
> Thanks
> Sam

I think that's what he wants to prevent.

--
Parley D. Kennelly
Southern California Realtor®
"Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
Windows doesn't copy downloads directly to a CD.
You can download to your hard drive first, and then copy to a CD.

--
JerryM (ID)

MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
A man who can smile when things go wrong,
has thought of someone he can blame it on.

"Sam Wenger" <support@sng.ca> wrote in message
> Is there a policy in a Windows 2000 Server environment and XP laptops
using
> Active Directory to prevent users from burning files onto the CDR but
still
> allow access to the drive to read CD's
>
> Thanks
> Sam

I missed the intent,
My guess would be to install a read only CD driver.

--

"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u1MNlFviEHA.3632@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I think that's what he wants to prevent.
>
> --
> Parley D. Kennelly
> Southern California Realtor®
> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Windows doesn't copy downloads directly to a CD.
> You can download to your hard drive first, and then copy to a CD.
>
> --
> JerryM (ID)
>
> MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
> A man who can smile when things go wrong,
> has thought of someone he can blame it on.
>
> "Sam Wenger" <support@sng.ca> wrote in message
>> Is there a policy in a Windows 2000 Server environment and XP laptops
> using
>> Active Directory to prevent users from burning files onto the CDR but
> still
>> allow access to the drive to read CD's
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sam

You can disable the IMAPI CD Burning Service and they won't be able to write
to CD's. You just need to be able to prevent them from turning this service
back on. I believe you can also disable CD writing using the group policy
editor (XP Pro only)

I missed the intent,
My guess would be to install a read only CD driver.

--
JerryM (ID)

MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
A man who can smile when things go wrong,
has thought of someone he can blame it on.

"Parley" <pdkennellynot@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I think that's what he wants to prevent.
>
> --
> Parley D. Kennelly
> Southern California Realtor®
> "Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
> Windows doesn't copy downloads directly to a CD.
> You can download to your hard drive first, and then copy to a CD.
>
> --
> JerryM (ID)
>
> MURPHY'S COMPUTER LAW
> A man who can smile when things go wrong,
> has thought of someone he can blame it on.
>
> "Sam Wenger" <support@sng.ca> wrote in message
>> Is there a policy in a Windows 2000 Server environment and XP laptops
> using
>> Active Directory to prevent users from burning files onto the CDR but
> still
>> allow access to the drive to read CD's
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sam