Problems with home built system...

gondobar

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2006
Okay,
So I put together a system for my brother who lives a few states away from me. I installed everything and tested all components (i.e. cdrw, dvd-rom, modem, video card, hard drive, floppy drive, etc.) before I shipped them off and everything booted up and worked fine. However once he got it he started it up and then it froze on him. Eventually all he would get (based on our phone conversations) would be a screen saying something like checking integrity of video card or monitor and it wouldn't go anywhere from there. So since the mobo has a video port, I told him to plug his monitor into there and see what happens.

To make a long story short it looks like my modem (PCI) and video card (AGP) are not being detected or working. We have WinXP pro running as our OS. It looks like everything but whatever I have plugged into my PCI or AGP slots is working fine. I had him try moving the modem to a different slot to see if it would be detected there, but no luck.

Does anyone have any idea how to try and fix this? If there is nothing that we can do I will probably file a claim with UPS that they may have damaged the system during delivery. I don't know how easy it will be to get reimbursed from them. Any help or advice will be useful. Thanks.

Gondobar

pip_seeker

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
yeah, I shipped a system before and the problem is most likely a card or two have crept out of their slots.

Tell him to shut the pc off, ground himself and pull all the cards one by one and then put them back making sure they are all firmly seated.

then restart the pc and see what happens.