Sign in with
Your question

Is Dell REALLY this stupid? (or is it just me?)

Last response: in CPUs
February 11, 2006 6:47:11 PM

So I received a catalog from Dell today touting a Intel Core Duo laptop... 17 inch display, Centrino technology, 1 GB RAM, CDRW/DVD, etc etc etc for $999... a definite steal by my standards...

BUT... it comes with Windows XP Home.

Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, but Windows XP Home will not utilize both cores of this laptop's CPU... am I missing something?

More about : dell stupid

February 11, 2006 6:51:06 PM

I want a 2nd opinion on this... I know XP Home supports Intel's with HT technology... but everything I've ever read says that to support a true dual-core processor you must run Win2000 Pro or XP Professional.
February 11, 2006 6:56:47 PM

Well damn, I think that guy was right. Why the hell did I bother with XP Professional then?!?

DOH!

Well, I learned something new today.
Related resources
February 11, 2006 7:14:32 PM

That's not what Intel says.
February 11, 2006 7:15:58 PM

Bringing this back down to reality, when would you ever need dual cores on a laptop?
February 11, 2006 7:16:19 PM

Linux and *BSD provide a tru 100% legally free and open source alternative with full SMP support for any number of CPUs as well as multi-core support :D 

http://mirrors.kernel.org/

Semper Fi Linux on!
February 11, 2006 7:18:06 PM

Quote:
Why the hell did I bother with XP Professional then?!?

No you didn't!

Why one would ever waste money on Windows XP Home?
That is castrated Windows XP PRO (networking!)
February 11, 2006 7:23:01 PM

Yes, but laptops are, in my eyes, only for when you are out of the house, ect, when you cant get to your powerful workstation. Hense why i have an Emachines laptop, cheap.
February 11, 2006 7:23:37 PM

Quote:
you look as though youve been on these forums for a wee while now and your telling me you havent read any of the multiple posts in which this very same thing is said. if it isnt true then there are alot of stupid people using only 1 core of X2 and opteron's.

Well SMART people will NOT buy DELL word processors!

They chose real laptops either IBM/LENOVO (brand) or ASUS laptops.
And yes they would look for TURION 64 (I want one with dual core!)
February 11, 2006 7:26:56 PM

Quote:
Bringing this back down to reality, when would you ever need dual cores on a laptop?

Say What?

Specially on laptop dual core (AMD Turion 64 x2!) has plenty advantages (with Vista 64) !

Have you ever heard of DESKTOP replacement?
February 11, 2006 7:30:49 PM

Also from what I've seen, the due isn't 64bit capable, so why get a new machine that won't even run newer software that's just over the horizon?

XP Pro allows more simultanios network connections, domain logon, and rdp access. All of which I use so home is useless to me. Some one mentioned "more security features" this is only insofar as domain level security, the OS has no additional features over home that work without a domain (as far as I'm aware.) By the way, XP media center is Pro with domain disabled, which can be enabled with a simple hack.
February 11, 2006 7:33:26 PM

My company uses IBM's exclusively, mine and a couple of my friends have died numerous times a year, though Lenova will overnight a box, fix it in one day and ship it back overnight which is nice. I prefer ASUS, Acer, Toshiba. I have a 5 year old dell 4000 that still runs, but I've seen many newer ones, 600m, 6000, x1's, that have issues within a year or less.
February 11, 2006 7:53:44 PM

Quote:
My company uses IBM's exclusively, mine and a couple of my friends have died numerous times a year, though Lenova will overnight a box, fix it in one day and ship it back overnight which is nice. I prefer ASUS, Acer, Toshiba. I have a 5 year old dell 4000 that still runs, but I've seen many newer ones, 600m, 6000, x1's, that have issues within a year or less.

Company made right choice.
IIf IBM/Lenovo dies it is mainly the problem with the user!

Acer, Toshiba.. This time I say NEVER!
February 11, 2006 7:58:14 PM

My laptop died twice in two months from a small shock I felt when touching the touchpad (power supply plugged in no less!) Had to replace MB both times. I've shocked the heck out of my dell and acer and they never flinche.
February 11, 2006 8:08:54 PM

Quote:
Also from what I've seen, the due isn't 64bit capable, so why get a new machine that won't even run newer software that's just over the horizon?

Absolutely true!!!! I would buy an AMD64 laptop and run Linux x86_64 instead :D  :D 

Quote:

XP Pro allows more simultanios network connections, domain logon, and rdp access. All of which I use so home is useless to me. Some one mentioned "more security features" this is only insofar as domain level security, the OS has no additional features over home that work without a domain (as far as I'm aware.) By the way, XP media center is Pro with domain disabled, which can be enabled with a simple hack.
February 11, 2006 8:23:28 PM

bump :!:
February 11, 2006 9:05:28 PM

did i miss something. will someone please answer the original question.
will windows XP home utilize both cpus in a dual cpu computer. newbie q. txs.
February 11, 2006 9:20:16 PM

Read carefully. No, xp home will not support two cpu setups. The original poster was not talking about a 2 cpu setup. He was talking about a single cpu, that has 2 cores. XP home will work with dual core, whether they are virtual or real. It looks to see how many sockets are present.
In simple terms, XP home will use all of the parts in a single socket setup. In a dual socket setup, xp will only recognize the chip in one of the sockets.
February 11, 2006 9:52:32 PM

My 5 year old dell PIII 700 was faster than a dell 600m with a 1.2g Pentium M, and the HD in that unit died 3 times, the keyboard died once and the serial port didn't work when I first got it (and the machine never left my desk.) Oh by the way, for 3 years all I did was contract out to IBM, Dell, HP/Compaq, Gateway, and Emachines for repair work. I worked on 10 times more dells than any other brand, even Emachines! Sure they sell more, but the odds are still against them. And their prices are terrible for what you get, try to get a 1.8g processor, 100gb hd, 1gig of ram and a radeon700x in a dell for under 2 grand, oh wait you can't.
February 11, 2006 10:46:40 PM

OK REALLY, XP home is desigened for a single CHIP, it will still use the dual core, but not as effecently as XP Pro or 2kPro becuase Home does not handle multi-threading as well. XP home also does not have the Networking capabilites either, i think one pc can connect to 5 max on one lan using home. here is the actual differences from Microsoft
Windows XP Comparison Guide.

Hopefully this will finally clear up any confusion............
February 11, 2006 11:32:15 PM

what do you expect from a company that outsources :lol: 
February 12, 2006 7:47:54 AM

I think we can all take something helpful from this thread: never buy a Dell.
February 12, 2006 7:56:27 AM

Indeed! :D 
February 12, 2006 8:19:20 AM

Finally a Dell that can handle all the preinstalled bloatware
February 12, 2006 8:21:00 AM

don't know bout the rest of you but i haven't yet found one that can
February 12, 2006 9:19:27 AM

XP Home has no problem running a single dual core processor. I currently have an x2 4800+ and I'm running XP Home. The system multi-tasks as well as any other system. You don't need XP Pro. It's just an optional upgrade. How's this for multi-tasking? I can play Battlefield 2 or Everquest II while running a virus scan or burning DVDs! Only thing that I notice is a little longer load times with maps when running the virus scan due to the intense hard drive usage.
a b à CPUs
February 12, 2006 12:17:17 PM

"will windows XP home utilize both cpus in a dual cpu computer. newbie q. txs.:

It (XP Home) will support a single physical processor, but the single processor can be 2 or more cores....
February 12, 2006 1:43:54 PM

Quote:

Say What?

Specially on laptop dual core (AMD Turion 64 x2!) has plenty advantages (with Vista 64) !

Have you ever heard of DESKTOP replacement?

A laptop will never replace a desktop with multiple montiors.

Multitasking at it's finest. :p 
February 12, 2006 10:49:59 PM

I agree, depending on the model, Dell makes good notebooks.
And 64-bit is not going to overtake the notebook market for a few years still.
February 12, 2006 10:50:28 PM

But XP-Pro is the OS to use!
February 12, 2006 11:30:20 PM

can u state why. is there anything xp pro can do that u r unable to do with another program--e.g. remote pc access. of course, unless u have two cpus--as im understanding this. im about to decide, and wondering if xp pro is worth the extra costs.
February 13, 2006 12:58:33 AM

You don't need XP Pro unless you intend to use the computer as a business workstation that needs networking. XP Home will use a single multiple core processor and multi-task just fine. See my above post.
February 13, 2006 1:02:16 AM

Quote:
Linux and *BSD provide a tru 100% legally free and open source alternative with full SMP support for any number of CPUs as well as multi-core support :D 

Semper Fi Linux on!

Do you do this everytime anyone has a query: :roll:

How good is Linux driver support for Dell laptops? :wink:
February 13, 2006 1:53:24 AM

Quote:

Semper Fi Linux on!

Do you do this everytime anyone has a query: :roll:

How good is Linux driver support for Dell laptops? :wink:

Linux now supports virtually everything, including Dell laptops.

In fact HP/Compaq makes Linux laptops!

I've used Linux or IBM, Toshiba, Dell and Sony laptops and they work fine.
February 13, 2006 2:11:12 AM

This is quite a simulation. Do what 1.4 Chinese did and steal XP Pro, it isn't worth a fourth of its price tag.
February 13, 2006 7:25:39 AM

Quote:

No you didn't!

Why would anyone wase money on Windows * ?
I still feel ashamed that i actually paid good money for Windows 98 way back when...
February 14, 2006 1:47:40 AM

Quote:

No you didn't!

Why would anyone wase money on Windows * ?
I still feel ashamed that i actually paid good money for Windows 98 way back when...

hmmm... one of these days i'll switch to linux... one day...
February 14, 2006 2:27:44 AM

I would certainly benefit. Right now I'm using a Dell Precision M60 laptop with a 128MB QuadroFX Go 700. A workstation video card.

Just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean there isn't. Plenty of people use CAD on laptops. And a slew of other things that utilize dual core.

-mpjesse
February 14, 2006 2:40:49 AM

CADs like ProDesktop (i think thats it) will make 3.4 northwoods really crawl when you are swivelling a medium to complex drawing around the screen

and i dont think the person who said "WHO NEEDS DUAL CORES ON LAPTOPS?" took into account the history and development of computers. back after pentium II when the first pentium III 700mhz laptop came out i bet that someone said the same sorta statement as they. besides the core duos only waste 4W more power than the highest end Pentium M's
February 14, 2006 2:47:04 AM

Rotating ANY drawings on my laptop is often a painful one. And that's with my bad ass Quadro video card- which is pretty much top of the line as far as workstation laptop graphics go. In my line of work I'm often dealing with drawings that contain tens of thousands of lines. We're talking 1-2 million square foot facilities. Granted many of the facilities are warehouses and hangars (which are not particularly complex), but some aren't. The building I'm working on now for instance is 500,000 square feet, 5 floors, multiple secured areas, LOTS of conduits, man traps everywhere, etc. Anyways, a dual core processor would certainly help me.

-mpjesse
February 14, 2006 2:58:31 AM

I find Dell... well... Irritating.
They have there good points and there bad.
I'm using a Dell Inspiron 9300 at the moment. Most decked out Lappy (from dell) you could get in australia (recieved it 5-6 months ago).

Its the only Windows XP I've seen give the Blue Screen of death. Its the inbuilt wireless card. Also I cannot use the card reader. Both completely useless.

However, this doesn't phase me because work owns it, lol. its not my money.
February 14, 2006 3:00:13 AM

yeah its always a bummer when the company gives you a dell or a cheap ibm to expect you to do your job with

i should explain: i have no problem with IBM's stuff, apart from getting given a $700 workstation orientated office PC for use as a graphic-intensive media machine. the accounting people in charge really botched that one... i went to put in a video card one day and whatta ya know, these guys don't keep to industry standard ATX. the motherboard supported PCI-e but didnt have a slot! that's what i mean by cheap IBM

i reckon Dell is the one to watch out for. i have received many upon many of their pamphlets in the mail showing their glorious outdated hardware at all but low prices and crap deals such as pentium D 830 processors equiped in a computer with onboard intel graphics and 512MB of DDR2-533 RAM. i haven't dealt with their customer support or anything as i never normally go for dells. i just see what i see and take from it my opinion.
February 14, 2006 3:26:30 AM

Personally i willl always take a homebuilt pc over any manufactured one just becuase I know the quality of the pc thats been built. Its just a given. Now back on the real subject at hand, for everyday users, xp home will do just fine, for people who have more than 5 computers at home, or who have 2 chips on their motherboards, XP Pro is the way to go. Now if your using more than 4 chips on a server, then Windows Server 2003 is the next step, as long as your staying within Microsoft. Plus there are 5 different versions of Windows Server 2003, each being able to handle different amounts of CPUs, ram, and storage space. For my money, becuase I am into games, ripping cds, and video editing, and have over 6 PCs on my network, Windows XP Pro is on used on my machines. But as far as his laptop is concerend, it depends on his uses. If your brining it to work and connecting it to a domain with over 10 computers, go with XP Pro, if not, then stick with home. Either way your multi tasking will not suffer. Just remember, if your going to be gaming and going to lan parties, you'll want Pro becuase of the networking capabilities.
February 14, 2006 4:41:41 AM

Home vs Pro

Dual-Core systems - In time applications will begin to utilize physical multi-core technology, however I feel it may take a few more years (2008) before it really starts to hit mainstream (workstation applications will be second in line to Server apps, then consumer apps)

I worked for Dell for years, I still have many of their products (still buy them too). I'm smart about it... I only buy their laptops. I'd have to say the 9300 is one of the better laptops they've made in a long time (XPS and 9300 are basicly the same beast guts wise except for video card and chassis).

I agree, all large companies have their crappy products... some have their good products. Dell's are not top of the line (nor are alienware) but they are certainly better than Acer or Averatech's junk.
February 20, 2006 1:13:49 AM

I agree, each manufacturer has good points and bad points, and your right, its going to take time for software to reach that stage where its going to use multicore, although some already have, like Photoshop, and other HIGH END software. Thats why I put my faith in home built machines, but you just can't do that with a laptop, so I would put my faith more in Dell than anyone else. I've repaired laptops for sometime, and Dell is one of the manufacturers that I've seen the fewest problems with overall.

Now as far as the subject at hand, have chosen what your going to do with this laptop, are you going to switch to Pro or not? I'm just saying you've seen the responces, I'd just like to know your descion on it.
!