11x17 laser workhorse needed...I think, duh!

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend a laser that can do 11x17 (tabloid) that is:

Used & available for sale on EBay or ?

Can be refilled reasonable, by that I mean, within reason refilled a few
times not stretching the cartridge (I have refilled my HP 1200 up to 3
times, with TonerRefillKits with great success.

Able to render graphics (photos) decently....at least 600 dpi.

By saying a workhorse, I don't mean thousands of prints a day, maybe 500
twice a week or less.

Thanks,

DE
8 answers Last reply
More about 11x17 laser workhorse needed think

    DoubleEntendre <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Can anyone recommend a laser that can do 11x17 (tabloid) that is:
    >
    > Used & available for sale on EBay or ?
    >
    > Can be refilled reasonable, by that I mean, within reason refilled a few
    > times not stretching the cartridge (I have refilled my HP 1200 up to 3
    > times, with TonerRefillKits with great success.
    >
    > Able to render graphics (photos) decently....at least 600 dpi.
    >
    > By saying a workhorse, I don't mean thousands of prints a day, maybe 500
    > twice a week or less.

    LaserJet 5SI
    LaserJet 8000 (same thing, but with PostScript)
    LaserJet 5000 (1200 DPI)

    These are all large and relatively heavy printers.

    Thanks Warren,

    I'll start checking EBay, hopefully I'll find something in my area that I
    can pick up.

    DE

    "Warren Block" <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote in message
    > DoubleEntendre <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Can anyone recommend a laser that can do 11x17 (tabloid) that is:
    > >
    > > Used & available for sale on EBay or ?
    > >
    > > Can be refilled reasonable, by that I mean, within reason refilled a few
    > > times not stretching the cartridge (I have refilled my HP 1200 up to 3
    > > times, with TonerRefillKits with great success.
    > >
    > > Able to render graphics (photos) decently....at least 600 dpi.
    > >
    > > By saying a workhorse, I don't mean thousands of prints a day, maybe 500
    > > twice a week or less.
    >
    > LaserJet 5SI
    > LaserJet 8000 (same thing, but with PostScript)
    > LaserJet 5000 (1200 DPI)
    >
    > These are all large and relatively heavy printers.
    >
    > --
    > Warren Block * Rapid City, South Dakota * USA

    >LaserJet 5SI
    >LaserJet 8000 (same thing, but with PostScript)
    >LaserJet 5000 (1200 DPI)
    >
    >These are all large and relatively heavy printers.

    The 5000 is not that big and heavy really. I have one, but don't use it
    much. I do have several HP LaserJet 4v and 4mv printers that do 11x17. I'd
    have to check them out, they may fill out your needs.

    In article <91urd.11607$Ae.2344@newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net>,
    "DoubleEntendre" <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a laser that can do 11x17 (tabloid) that is:
    >
    > Used & available for sale on EBay or ?
    >
    > Can be refilled reasonable, by that I mean, within reason refilled a few
    > times not stretching the cartridge (I have refilled my HP 1200 up to 3
    > times, with TonerRefillKits with great success.
    >
    > Able to render graphics (photos) decently....at least 600 dpi.
    >
    > By saying a workhorse, I don't mean thousands of prints a day, maybe 500
    > twice a week or less.

    HP LaserJet 4 family. The MV did 11x17, I believe, as did the Si.

    "Quadrajet1" <quadrajet1@aol.com> wrote in message

    > >LaserJet 5SI
    > >LaserJet 8000 (same thing, but with PostScript)
    > >LaserJet 5000 (1200 DPI)
    > >
    > >These are all large and relatively heavy printers.
    >
    > The 5000 is not that big and heavy really. I have one, but don't use it
    > much. I do have several HP LaserJet 4v and 4mv printers that do 11x17.
    I'd
    > have to check them out, they may fill out your needs.

    I use a 5000 at University. It takes a LOT of abuse and keeps on going.
    Treated correctly, I've printed out 400+ pages straight without a jam or a
    hiccup. It's probably printed many thousand pages. Does anyone know of a way
    to get a pagecount out of it?

    Works on tabloid well too.

    I'd buy one.

    "Marek Williams" <abc@example.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:14:21 GMT, "Bill 2" <asdf@asdf.com> dijo:
    >
    > >I use a 5000 at University. It takes a LOT of abuse and keeps on going.
    > >Treated correctly, I've printed out 400+ pages straight without a jam or
    > >hiccup. It's probably printed many thousand pages. Does anyone know of a
    way
    > >to get a pagecount out of it?
    >
    > The page count should appear on the configuration page from the
    > control panel.

    Printed configuration page. It says 132939 pages. Is that possible?

    No wonder the printer started getting a little cranky.

    >Printed configuration page. It says 132939 pages. Is that possible?
    >
    >No wonder the printer started getting a little cranky.

    My LaserJet 4000tn is at 548979 pages. My wifes plain jane LaserJet 4 is
    close to 500K pages as well. yes, they can print that much....

    Raymond

    Dont know if you can find it used but I have the 5100 and its just
    very good. Ver y expensive new, $1500.

    Best purchase Ive made. I use to have to print tiles, three per page
    to get tabloid, this saves me a lot of effort and time.

    The toner cartiage seems to last forever.

    ..

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 08:07:20 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
    <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

    >In article <91urd.11607$Ae.2344@newsread1.dllstx09.us.to.verio.net>,
    > "DoubleEntendre" <potatoesjoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello all,
    >>
    >> Can anyone recommend a laser that can do 11x17 (tabloid) that is:
    >>
    >> Used & available for sale on EBay or ?
    >>
    >> Can be refilled reasonable, by that I mean, within reason refilled a few
    >> times not stretching the cartridge (I have refilled my HP 1200 up to 3
    >> times, with TonerRefillKits with great success.
    >>
    >> Able to render graphics (photos) decently....at least 600 dpi.
    >>
    >> By saying a workhorse, I don't mean thousands of prints a day, maybe 500
    >> twice a week or less.
    >
    >HP LaserJet 4 family. The MV did 11x17, I believe, as did the Si.

Printers Hewlett Packard Peripherals