Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

COLD BOOT PROBLEM! SLI NF4 EXPERT

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
February 11, 2006 8:05:21 PM

I was reading in dfi-street about the cold boot problem, has anyone in the U.S.A experienced this problem yet! As it seems to be a problem in European countries! :?: :?: :?:
February 12, 2006 11:23:16 PM

Quote:
I was reading in dfi-street about the cold boot problem, has anyone in the U.S.A experienced this problem yet! As it seems to be a problem in European countries! :?: :?: :?:


I have no idea what it is? What is a cold boot?
February 13, 2006 1:01:16 AM

The cold boot is a term used loosely!!! Anyway when you shut down the computer lets say overnight or during a thunderstorm...etc you shut it down completely, so to start it up again you must push the power button to turn it on, only thing is that when you push the power button it doesn't start till you have flipped the switch on the back of the psu waited for 30sec or so, flip the switch on the psu again then push the " normal " power on button and this time it comes on!!!

I read about this on dfi-street, as well as the temp problems they are have with the expert mobo. Seems to me that a mobo built to OC haveing bad temp problems is like flying blind in the thunderstorm...never know if you up or down...etc
Its got me concerned because I have this mobo and I have a the temp problem but I have temp fix it by adding thermcouples on the proc, chipset, ram, and video card to monitor everything and just waiting for a bios fix, or for them to say " recall " other than that I personally have not had the cold boot problem but I do have the temp problem...which sux.

I was just wondering if anybody in the U.S. had the " cold boot " problem

for more info got to www.dfi-street.com it a very good support forum for dfi products
Related resources
February 13, 2006 1:39:54 AM

Joker, I don't know what you're talking about, there is much on DFI-street.com about the cold boot problem. I personally have gone through it and had it, and I am in the United States. Your best bet is to clear your bios. You have to do more than put the jumper on "clear". I'll guide you through it. Hope you saved your settings on CMOS Reloaded...
1. Power down the system by flipping the power supply jumper to off and then removing the power cable.
2. Hit the power button on your case or the board itself to remove any energy from the capacitors.
3. Remove the battery from the motherboard. It is located under the SATA connectors.
4. Set the CMOS jumper to "clear", which is the topmost position. This will also be near the SATA ports, consult your DFI manual for any problems regarding this location.
5. Wait, anywhere from 30 seconds to 8 or more hours.
6. Remove one stick of ram so that a single stick is in the second slot from the top, put the battery back and power up the system.
7. If it still fails to do anything but power fans and whatnot for split second, RMA the board itself.
February 19, 2006 5:37:14 PM

Quote:
The cold boot is a term used loosely!!! Anyway when you shut down the computer lets say overnight or during a thunderstorm...etc you shut it down completely, so to start it up again you must push the power button to turn it on, only thing is that when you push the power button it doesn't start till you have flipped the switch on the back of the psu waited for 30sec or so, flip the switch on the psu again then push the " normal " power on button and this time it comes on!!!

I read about this on dfi-street, as well as the temp problems they are have with the expert mobo. Seems to me that a mobo built to OC haveing bad temp problems is like flying blind in the thunderstorm...never know if you up or down...etc
Its got me concerned because I have this mobo and I have a the temp problem but I have temp fix it by adding thermcouples on the proc, chipset, ram, and video card to monitor everything and just waiting for a bios fix, or for them to say " recall " other than that I personally have not had the cold boot problem but I do have the temp problem...which sux.

I was just wondering if anybody in the U.S. had the " cold boot " problem

for more info got to www.dfi-street.com it a very good support forum for dfi products


Yea I have a major temp problem with mine, after I finally got it all up and running (many compatibility issues with hardware and drivers) my chipset idle temp was 50C! Right now I've put 120mm fan on my cause window and the chipset idle is 44C but this new fan is loud as hell so this won't be a perament fix. I think the big problem on mine is I have two video cards and the chipset fan is right between but worse the top vid card is feeding it's exhaust hot air right into my chipset fan! So I plan to replaces it's heatsink and fan with a Zalman VF700Cu-LED and see if that helps since that more evenly dispates the heat all around.
February 19, 2006 6:38:55 PM

keep checking dfi-street to see if the come up with a fix for the temp problems on this mobo. I've seen that you have posted there a few times.
Sorry about you troubles bro. New stuff , and a pickey mobo = a fight!
I had just a few issue's with mine, but so far I got it going and the damn thing is fast.
Can't understand why your chipset fan is loud, my isn't ...sitting @ 40c right now. Thats because of the fans I installed 4x120 rated @ 90cfm each :D 
And everything is quiet, guess its the pick of the litter i guess.

anyway Dizman let me know if you find anything on the temp issue and I will do the same
February 26, 2006 3:45:13 PM

Hey you're not alone. I don't have the Expert version just the regular LanParty SLI-DR but yeah I've got the dreaded cold boot bug too. If I power it off or unplug the power I usually have to let it sit there for at least a half hour before it'll boot up. It's VERY annoying. I just leave it on 24/7 now. There really isn't any fix for it from what I've read. And I paid nearly $200 for this board...pfft. I'm gonna suffer with it untill I can get an Asus. Good luck.
February 26, 2006 6:29:36 PM

Quote:
Hey you're not alone. I don't have the Expert version just the regular LanParty SLI-DR but yeah I've got the dreaded cold boot bug too. If I power it off or unplug the power I usually have to let it sit there for at least a half hour before it'll boot up. It's VERY annoying. I just leave it on 24/7 now. There really isn't any fix for it from what I've read. And I paid nearly $200 for this board...pfft. I'm gonna suffer with it untill I can get an Asus. Good luck.


You can RMA it, the product retailer will always give you a new one.
February 26, 2006 8:39:53 PM

I have came across 2 cases of these cold boot problems, at first I thought it was something wrong with the M.B or P.S. But after further testing, it was the CPU. When I replaced the CPU it was all working fine. The CPU was replaced with the same frequency, and after that no more cold boot problem was found. Problem still exists after I've changed the M.B or PSU. Don't know if this is the same problem with what you are talking about.

Note: The computer was left overnight (over 12 hours) to cool down and boot again in the morning. Changing the CPU fix the cold boot problem I had.
May 10, 2006 3:55:22 PM

There are man definitions of the "cold Boot". I live in the US. I own a DFi Expert mobo. It does not boot. I went to dfi-street.com to find an answer to my issue. They told me it was my PSU. Though I couldnt even get the fans to spin. I just recieved my refund. I will be getting an OCZ Powerstream 520. That is known to fix the "cold boot" issue.

I am not exactly sure why it doesnt boot. Though if the new PSU doesn tboot it, I will be calling DFI and asking for a complete RMA and refund for the money I had to pay for shipping and repackaging for a part that was not the issue because they're support team, the main admin told me to.

I sure hope this new PSU does the trick. I will keep anyoe updated on this if they need more info.

BTW love the forums.
May 10, 2006 4:44:34 PM

Quote:
There are man definitions of the "cold Boot". I live in the US. I own a DFi Expert mobo. It does not boot. I went to dfi-street.com to find an answer to my issue. They told me it was my PSU. Though I couldnt even get the fans to spin. I just recieved my refund. I will be getting an OCZ Powerstream 520. That is known to fix the "cold boot" issue.

I am not exactly sure why it doesnt boot. Though if the new PSU doesn tboot it, I will be calling DFI and asking for a complete RMA and refund for the money I had to pay for shipping and repackaging for a part that was not the issue because they're support team, the main admin told me to.

I sure hope this new PSU does the trick. I will keep anyoe updated on this if they need more info.


BTW love the forums.

I had cold boot and the PSU isn't the problem. Crappy motherboard was the problem.
May 14, 2006 1:18:18 PM

I have a Venus that has the cold boot problem, with the OCZ Powerstream 520.
May 15, 2006 11:20:15 AM

Yeah. I got it to boot just fine with a cheap 400 watt PSU though. So its not just a problem with the Mother Board. Its the combination of both. New Mobos dont like new PSU's and New PSU's dont like new Mobo's.

The DFI boards have a huge overdraw at the intitail boot for some reason. Not suer why. People have modded there boards, switches or PSU's to solve this issue. Some people find different PSU's that fix this also.

I now have the issue of only 3 LED's lighitng up and no boot. This happened after I installed my water cooling. Makes no sense really. It is not detecting my ram. Though the ram is just fine. Or it was just fine before. I had ran te memtest and all. It seems that once I unhooked everything and reseated the chip with a newly lapped block, it is just not wanting to detect the ram. I have tried with my trusty Ballistix 512 chips. Each one in each slot, still no go. I will be getting a new PSU to test with. But I dont see how the PSU could, relolve the issue, its jus twhat people are suggesting.

The DFI admins, think that there boards are perfect and all of the other parts are the issue, or the user. Kinda sad. So many good OC'ers and people there but the actual support sucks.

If I cant resolve the ram issue with a new PSU, I will have no choice but to RMA. I payed good money for a mother board that I can hit 305+ FSB and have plenty of ram options. I keep getting the run around at there forums. Its a mad house there.

I also set the bios to clear for 24 hours and have not tested it since. I have to get on that this afternoon. People some tiems get that cleared by doing that.

I think the new board has some seroius stability issues booting. Once you get that sucker going it is sweet though. I got it to 10x250 first try with no divider at 1T and no errors. I couldnt get much further than that with out little mem errors. I didnt get to the tweaking of the ram stage. I decided before I started that I should get her cooled down. Thats when I hit the 2nd no boot issue. I dont get why it would work with air just fine on 400watts and see my ram just fine and not with 3 more fans and a water pump.

Worst case is one of these two options.

1: I did in fact mess something up while installing the water blocks. Not sure how, but it is a posibility. I am pretty damn good at puttin gPC's together.

2: Something got damage way to easy and I did not realixe it.


I just think the mobo is to picky. Others say I should have updated the bios as soon as I could. I just stand on th fact if it works for what I am doing, dont fix it. Like I said, I never got to that stage before it just didnt want to take to the ram.

Let me know if you guys run into these issues.
June 18, 2006 6:41:24 PM

i havent had any issues out of that but i do have the strange issue of the computer booting back up after its shut down through windoes...its not any specific amount of time either. yet if its shut down by the button. it stays off...weird
!