A CPU made of paper

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Anybody actually seen a pic of a Conroe chip?
How about a working engineering sample of a motherboard?
Pics of the socket that the chip will plug into? Anyone?

Looks to me like it mainly exists on paper right now.

Latest news indicates Conroe (the desktop chip) is to have its big showing in September, with Merom (mobile chip) in October.
It's six or seven months away from seeing the light of day -- and that's just the review samples. I wouldn't count on buying an actual Conroe based system before December.

Yet people are talking about it like it's pending immediate release.
People, people, people. This is just more Intel BS. It's a distraction, like a matador waving a red flag in the bullring.
Intel spokesperson: "Please ignore the crap that we're making right now. We have this really cool super powerful CPU coming out really soon! We promise."

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Intel Conroe is very real and it is obviously set for release later this year. It has been distributed to various testing facilities around the world and yes, it does exist.

Here's a picture of Conroe just for you my friend. All you gotta do is google it.

Intel Conroe

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Here's another one of it mounted on a testing board. Speculation has it that the current X series chipsets will not handle the Conroe platform. I'd really like to know what chipset they are planning on using and what socket. According to this picture, it still looks like a 775 socket to me.

Conroe Testing Board

dizman

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
brainysmurf, please take you biased and unimformed comments elsewhere. instead of making useless anti-intel posts can you please do something more useful like getting a life and a brain.

Awwww SNAP! You got BUUUUURNED smurf! Crispy fried smurf I smell! Burnt to a crisp!

hehe :p I'm sorry I couldn't help myself

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Thats HUGE 8O
God i hope all that cache isnt the same slow stuff they have on the prescott. It would be a shame if the Isreal team caught cache syndrome like the rest of intel's engineers.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I agree with you on that one and that's where the problem lies even with Conroe. Intel still insists on using this old two way traffic design. It has latency issues and to offset that, they increased the cache size. Who knows what will happen. We can only wait and see.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Humm... yes, an half-smudged die, usual substrate package... some white markings... a land-grid-array interface... yes... i think i see some capacitors too... yes, i should say we're in the presence of one of those... a processor. Definitely!

Cheers!

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005
Humm... yes, an half-smudged die, usual substrate package... some white markings... a land-grid-array interface... yes... i think i see some capacitors too... yes, i should say we're in the presence of one of those... a processor. Definitely!

Cheers!
Shut up dude i'm a fucking AMD fanboy and i'm excited about Conroe

K8MAN

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2005

Cheers!
Shut up dude i'm a fucking AMD fanboy and i'm excited about Conroe

Although AMD will be faster no matter what :D

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
We have yet to see about that. I hope it's gona be something good. I'm tired of Brand-fanboys. Where are the performance fanboys?

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
See, i'm no brand-fanboy, either of fryed greasy chips or hard boiled eggs.

The facts speak for themselves: at the present conjuncture, AMD has the lead, both in performance-per-watt and in [growing] market share percentile, towards Intel.

Fact: Intel is bigger overall, has taken the very rational step towards the "computing paradigm of the earlier XXI century", i.e., performance-per-watt (better late than sorry) and has lots of ready-to-market technologies, right up its sleeve.

Another fact: AMD has JUST (2 years, approx.) made the jump into the performance-per-watt-per-dollar, compared to Intel; it remains to be seen if it can comply with it and for how long.

It's not just this conjunctural performance-per-watt or per-clock which will define server/desktop/portable computing in the next few years; it's - and will be - rather, the performance/features vs costs which will drive the market = Us! And here, David hasn't been able to [deadly] hit Goliath. Time will tell but, for the moment, Intel has the lead.

Cheers!

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006
We have yet to see about that. I hope it's gona be something good. I'm tired of Brand-fanboys. Where are the performance fanboys?
you know what sepuko is right ill stop being an amd fanboy if intel beats it in one very important test!

endyen

Splendid
Where are the performance fanboys?
Most of those spoiled brats live in upper west side, your town U.S.A.
I could care less about performance, if it comes with an insane pricetag.
Maybe I'm cheap, but I just want the best I can afford.
Most of the time, that has made me an idiot AMD fanboy, but Intel has had it's minutes.

endyen

Splendid
I'm with you on this one. I've heard a lot of hype on conroe, but most of it makes little or no sense.
I'll believe a slower chip, with more stages, and a mem controller on the north bridge can have better IPC than a chip with a seperate memory bus, only when I see it for myself.

gorbehnare

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
*** tightens the screws on the back of the newly completed system, Turns it on, and hides behind the 19LCD monitor playing his games untill three years from now, or when the system will not run the games anymore; whichever comes first!!!***

ak47is1337

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I don't blame him for being so critical of Intel's claims. Intel is making a huge effort to keep the chips out of third party users and testers, and this is why we don't see any early testing of the chip.

joset

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2005
Man, you're hiding at the wrong side of your 19" LCD monitor! Just "hide" in front of it and, perhaps, you'll be able to play whatever, while the warranty still holds...

Cheers!

gorbehnare

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Man, you're hiding at the wrong side of your 19" LCD monitor! Just "hide" in front of it and, perhaps, you'll be able to play whatever, while the warranty still holds...

Cheers!

depends how the coputer desk is placed!!! and from what angle you are looking :lol: