Having a problem with 2 harddrives

Ningenpo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi,

I have a bought a new computer and is about to sell the old one. However, in the old on there's a 250Gb sata drive that I want in my new computer. I'll replace it with a 200Gb ATA-133 harddrive that I have lying around.

My problem: Is there any way to duplicate my windows partition (about 40Gb) from the 250Gb drive to the 200Gb drive so that I don't have to re-install everything? Since the hardware haven't changed I don't see any problem exept on how to do it.

Any ideas at all is welcome, I would really like to be able to show some games and stuff when a buyer comes, but I don't have the energy to re-install everyhing.

Thanks!

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Simply install both hd on your pc and copy it. Just right click on your the 250Gb hd and select copy or open it and copy specific files you want and paste it to the 200 Gb. However some programs needs reinstalling.

Ningenpo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Simply install both hd on your pc and copy it. Just right click on your the 250Gb hd and select copy or open it and copy specific files you want and paste it to the 200 Gb. However some programs needs reinstalling.

Yes, that's the obvious solution, I do however doubt that windows boot sectors and other essential data will be duplicated correctly.

No, I'm looking for something like a clone feature. There has to be some program out there that can make like a perfect image of a harddrive. Like if you made a disk like that on a working windows partition, and later got a virus, you could only insert the disk and then the window partition would return to that state.

You see my interest? This is not only for this time, such a feature would be great to have in my new computer aswell.

leon2006

Distinguished
Hi !

Drive Image 7 will do the job. the software is originally from power quest now owned by Symantec.

Below is the path review of the product

http://www.itreviews.co.uk/software/s268d.htm

I'm not sure if symantec killed the product after it purchased POWERQUEST.

It can create full image of any of your drives or files including drive C: that is fully bootable after re-installation.

I normally keep an image file of bootable drive C: on a DVD disc. You can move your C: Installation to any Hard Drive(e.g. new HD).

In my case Drive C: contains the OS, hw-drivers, application software, & games. I'm a CAD and Heavy Engineering user and it will take me at least 1 full day to restore drive C:. With this software i do it in less than an hour.

All computer data is on a separate drive which is also backup on a regular basis

One thing to take note is you need to reinstall your drivers if you are changing motherboards.

The software is priced $69 but i got it at a discount for $39

Thanks

leon

pscowboy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2002
If it's a bootable hd with an OS on "C", the image would be useless any where else except the original pc.

If it's a storage drive only, then the image would work putting it anyplace.

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
If it's a bootable hd with an OS on "C", the image would be useless any where else except the original pc.

If it's a storage drive only, then the image would work putting it anyplace.

Almost True. Even if you "clone" the OS HDD from the SATA HDD to the IDE HDD, you are going to have to do a "repair install" due to changing interfaces. You probably will have to "reactivate" your WinXP install.

Cloning is the term for which you use and do to copy all information, including boot sector and partition info over. Part. Magic, Norton's Ghost will do this operation. Also, the manufacturer of the IDE or SATA drive may very well have a program to allow you to clone your drive also.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The only problem I've ever had with a cloned drive is that it wasn't set active or whatever. I've copied partitions over existing partitions without having to do a repair instal, on different drives with the same partition size.

Ningenpo

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Hi, and thanks for all the advice!

I got the Drive Image 7, worked like a charm. I got a perfect copy. So I changed the bootdisk in bios, everything worked great. Everything booted directly and was ok.

However, then I removed the sata disc, all of a sudden, the computer hangs in the xp bootup screen. Tried like 5 times. So I only connect the sata disc, leaving the boot in bios to the pata. Works perfectly...

I've come to understand that it has something to do with the swap file or something. Windows on the pata drive won't work without the Sata online.

So I'm in a dead end. Don't know what to do. Tried changing the swapfile in "System", but it doesn't help.

Advice?

ProHandyman

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
I don't think this is a problem with the swap file. I would be more inclined to think that it is caused by going from SATA controller to PATA controller.

Fixing may be as easy as changing your boot.ini file to the appropriate drive designation... you would have to get the info on designation from "computer management", "disk management", right clicking and choosing "properties" to get the "location". Those numbers can be transcribed into boot.ini in place of the SATA drives designation.

If you want to try another way: disconnect SATA drive (all HDDs other then boot drive). Boot from XP CD and choose repair consoul. At the prompt, type FIXMBR and hit enter. Then type FIXBOOT and hit enter. This may repair the problem too.

If this WAY over your head... pulling the SATA drive... and NOW doing a repair installation should fix the problem.