Differences of media

Phetar

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
Hello there, I just recently acquired a DVD-RAM from Newegg, and besides the noise, it's quite good. But I'm a little ignorant as to the media I bought for it. I know that +R and -R makes little difference and was mainly a marketing battle, but theres a few other distinctions that I'm in the dark about, such as DVD-RAMs, DVD+/-R DLs, DVD+/-RWs, etc...I also thought RW meant rewritable, but now I'm being told DVD-RAMs do that, so I don't know. I'm using this burner for all uses: video, games, back-up, data, copying from disc and image, etc etc.

So, I was hoping someone might know of a website that can enlighten me and tell me which media does what, rather than ask any of you to go through the trouble of writing it all down here, thanks a lot

crizazykid2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
yes, I know a good one, it is called google. But, seriously: DVD+/-R DLs stands for double layer and has twice the storage as regular dvds (8.5 gigabytes vs. 4.7gb); RW means that you can burn, erase, burn, erase, etc. This is mainly for data, not for video. In your situation, I suggest dvd+r, this is better than -r and records better than rw's. There is no need for you to use dvd-ram's