Canon's PIXMA iP8500

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
December 2, 2004 12:39:28 AM

Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!

Bill Crocker

More about : canon pixma ip8500

Anonymous
December 2, 2004 10:46:52 AM

I'm sorry, I don't speak "Crocker-ese" What does "Schwing" mean?

Steve

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!
>
> Bill Crocker

December 2, 2004 8:25:40 PM

"Steve Dell" <stevedell@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm sorry, I don't speak "Crocker-ese" What does "Schwing" mean?
>
> Steve
>

> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!
> >
> > Bill Crocker

Now all we have to do is wait up until the head fails ?? Tis called Schwung!
--
Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink

That's the best part Tony. The head is user replaceable!

Bill Crocker

"Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote in message

>> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!
>> >
>> > Bill Crocker
>
> Now all we have to do is wait up until the head fails ?? Tis called
> Schwung!
> --
> Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
> http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
> http://www.inkylinkusa.com

December 3, 2004 2:26:05 PM

> That's the best part Tony. The head is user replaceable!
>
> Bill Crocker
Yep we know that Bill. Of the last 20 or so users reporting back some 15 to
date have required new printheads ?? Welcome to the club at $70 a go.
Tony
--
Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
http://www.inkylinkusa.com
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 3:02:11 PM

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!
>
> Bill Crocker

Hi Bill,

Yep, no doubt will produce a *very* nice print job.

But ... in a sentence ... Very costly head replacements coming up!!!

Regards,
Hughy
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 2:57:02 AM

> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > That's the best part Tony. The head is user replaceable!
> >
> > Bill Crocker
> Yep we know that Bill. Of the last 20 or so users reporting back
some 15 to
> date have required new printheads ?? Welcome to the club at $70 a
go.
> Tony
> --
> Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
> http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
> http://www.inkylinkusa.com

$70? That is *cheap*.

We now have a BJC-6200 and an i-865. After our horror story with the
6200 and multiple head replacements, and after reading other posts on
Canon and printheads, I rang a local Canon service agent (Australia)
for a spare parts quote on an i-865 head, even though our i-865 is
still going strong. AUS$179 + 10% GST ... That's US$154.00.

The service agent (sensibly) recommended printer replacement rather
than head replacement.

I refuse to ever buy another Epson printer while ever they "chip"
their ink tanks, now Canon is very much on the nose ... the crystal
ball is beginning to look more and more like a colour laser (not Epson
or Canon).

Regards,
Hughy
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 5:21:28 PM

Well...it goes back to 1989, with Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure!
"Schwing", was the word they used when they became physically aroused...aka,
got a woody!

Find out more, here;
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096928/

Bill Crocker

"Steve Dell" <stevedell@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I'm sorry, I don't speak "Crocker-ese" What does "Schwing" mean?
>
> Steve
>

> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!
>>
>> Bill Crocker

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 5:23:08 PM

Oh, and replacing an Epson head is cheap? Not only will the head on an
Epson cost more, you have to pay to have it replaced. At least the head in
the Canon is user replaceable.

Bill Crocker

"Tony" <auct1@pantsaah-haa.com> wrote in message

> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> That's the best part Tony. The head is user replaceable!
>>
>> Bill Crocker
> Yep we know that Bill. Of the last 20 or so users reporting back some 15
> date have required new printheads ?? Welcome to the club at $70 a go.
> Tony
> --
> Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
> http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
> http://www.inkylinkusa.com

Anonymous
December 4, 2004 10:50:58 PM

In article Tony says...
> Yep we know that Bill. Of the last 20 or so users reporting back some 15 to
> date have required new printheads ?? Welcome to the club at $70 a go.
> Tony

What do you mean? Are you saying that as a 3rd party ink peddler you
have 3/4 of your iP8500 users needing new printheads and you've decided
it's Canon's fault? Whatever the reason you seem to have a more negative
view of Canon BJ head life than most other commentators.
December 4, 2004 10:50:59 PM

"colinco" <colincomma@yawhoo.com> wrote in message
> In article Tony says...
> > Yep we know that Bill. Of the last 20 or so users reporting back some 15
> > date have required new printheads ?? Welcome to the club at $70 a go.
> > Tony
> >

> What do you mean? Are you saying that as a 3rd party ink peddler you
> have 3/4 of your iP8500 users needing new printheads and you've decided
> it's Canon's fault? Whatever the reason you seem to have a more negative
> view of Canon BJ head life than most other commentators.

A surprising chocie of misguided language:-) A suppliers of some of the
finest and tightly controlled ink manufacturers we naturally have an
interest in ink usage and printhead life. Study these newsgroups and others.
Canon have a printhead problem - there is no doubt. Our feedback is from
committed Canon only ink users and our own and there is no difference - the
heads fail with dismal regularity. JetTec are not the largest alternate
inkjet cartridge supplier by accident, and we supply them because they have
a cast iron guarantee.
We are still running the 800/880 Epsons and exclusively from day 1 on JetTec
and Canon cannot match that with their older i560 or the latest Pixma. But ,
then if you're employed by Canon that could be different ??
Tony
--
Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
http://www.inkylinkusa.com
Anonymous
December 4, 2004 11:59:11 PM

"Harry Kiri" <completelyfalse@harrykiri.com> wrote in message
> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Just received my new Canon PIXMA iP8500. In a word... Schwing!!!
>>
>> Bill Crocker
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> Yep, no doubt will produce a *very* nice print job.
>
> But ... in a sentence ... Very costly head replacements coming up!!!

cheaper than epson.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:29:58 AM

Tony wrote:

> "colinco" <colincomma@yawhoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article Tony says...
> > > Yep we know that Bill. Of the last 20 or so users reporting back some
> > > 15 to date have required new printheads ?? Welcome to the club at $70
> > > a go.
> > > Tony
> > >

> > What do you mean? Are you saying that as a 3rd party ink peddler you
> > have 3/4 of your iP8500 users needing new printheads and you've decided
> > it's Canon's fault? Whatever the reason you seem to have a more negative
> > view of Canon BJ head life than most other commentators.
>
> A surprising chocie of misguided language:-) A suppliers of some of the
> finest and tightly controlled ink manufacturers we naturally have an
> interest in ink usage and printhead life. Study these newsgroups and others.
> Canon have a printhead problem - there is no doubt. Our feedback is from

And foremost: Canon has a fading problem. Regardless of what "schwing"
means, if these Pixma printer use the same ink which you have in BCI-6
tanks, you might run out of lack and have to do "trash-wing" with your
costly made images...

At least try to avoid Canon Photo Paper Plus as you can!
http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fad...

Thomas

> committed Canon only ink users and our own and there is no difference - the
> heads fail with dismal regularity. JetTec are not the largest alternate
> inkjet cartridge supplier by accident, and we supply them because they have
> a cast iron guarantee.
> We are still running the 800/880 Epsons and exclusively from day 1 on JetTec
> and Canon cannot match that with their older i560 or the latest Pixma. But ,
> then if you're employed by Canon that could be different ??
> Tony
> --
> Spit less spotlets - spotless inkjet prints...
> http://www.aah-haa.com 30% more ink
> http://www.inkylinkusa.com
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 10:37:55 AM

In article Tony says...
> We are still running the 800/880 Epsons and exclusively from day 1 on JetTec
> and Canon cannot match that with their older i560 or the latest Pixma. But ,
> then if you're employed by Canon that could be different ??

Language chosen to get your attention.
Not employed by Canon or any other printer manufacturer. I have been
following the various forums for a while and you do seem to have just
started beating on Canon recently. Others mention that all printers can
clog but can usually be cleaned. Canon heads at least can be taken out
for this.
December 5, 2004 10:37:56 AM

colinco wrote:

>In article Tony says...
>> We are still running the 800/880 Epsons and exclusively from day 1 on JetTec
>> and Canon cannot match that with their older i560 or the latest Pixma. But ,
>> then if you're employed by Canon that could be different ??
>>
>Language chosen to get your attention.
>Not employed by Canon or any other printer manufacturer. I have been
>following the various forums for a while and you do seem to have just
>started beating on Canon recently. Others mention that all printers can
>clog but can usually be cleaned. Canon heads at least can be taken out
>for this.

Cleaning a printhead doesn't help if said printhead is dead.

The issue is not clogged nozzles...it's complete failure of the
printhead which costs way too much for replacements.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:22:53 PM

In article Bill says...
> Cleaning a printhead doesn't help if said printhead is dead.
>
> The issue is not clogged nozzles...it's complete failure of the
> printhead which costs way too much for replacements.

Understood. What vintage printer is involved S series or i?Complete
failures haven't been mentioned that often on the likes of DPReview or
Yahoo Canon forums compared with PC or PM clogs on i950s.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 3:21:46 PM

>>The issue is not clogged nozzles...it's complete failure of the
>>printhead which costs way too much for replacements.

Guys, guys,... be smart!

Almost all of these photo printers come with a full 1 year
replacement warranty. Here, whether it's Epson or Canon, you can call
them up within a year, and have the replacement head/printer shipped out
to you free.

If you're smart, you can also use any Mastercard/Visa/Amex/etc.
credit card with the extended warranty plan, which usually doubles the
length of the warranty coverage. Here, you'd get two years instead of
one, and generally long enough to get your money's worth out of a printer.

Finally, some companies (eg. Canon) do offer extended (up to 3 years
as I recall) warranty plans which you can add to cover your printer.

---

Anyways, with excellent quality but cheap photo printers going for
<$69 (Any Epson 925 on ebay.com and refurb'd with 1 year warranty if you
do a bit of searching; many other excellent 6-color photo printers that
are last year's generation also sold as low or cheaper), why are we so
worried? The cost of inks themselves will almost be the same price as
another printer -- you might as well be buying one refurb'd photo
printer every time you run out of ink given how much ink cartridges cost
nowadays!

(definitely the case with standard 4-color inkjets starting at under
$39 - don't buy more ink cartridges, just buy another printer!:
http://shopper.cnet.com/4007-3156_9-0.html?orderby=9lwP...)
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 7:23:47 AM

> At least try to avoid Canon Photo Paper Plus as you can!
> http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fad...
>
> Thomas

Perhaps this should read 'avoid refrigerators - Not sure if its canon
specific' :)

I have seen the same yellow cast on one (and only one) of my prints.
This print was attached to the fridge door. I noticed from the above
link that the photo in question was on top of a fridge.
After some reading I found that the gasses given off by fridges and
air-con can affect inkjet ink.

If you don't like to yellow cast attach the photo to the front of a
dell monitor using blu-tac - it'll turn a nice shade of pink with grey
spots where the blu-tac is.

Cheers,
Patrick
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 8:40:17 PM

"PatrickB" <patrick@scotcomms.co.uk> wrote in message
>> At least try to avoid Canon Photo Paper Plus as you can!
>> http://www.pbase.com/phototalk_thh/2004_10_12_s9000_fad...
>>
>> Thomas
>
> Perhaps this should read 'avoid refrigerators - Not sure if its canon
> specific' :)
>
> I have seen the same yellow cast on one (and only one) of my prints.
> This print was attached to the fridge door. I noticed from the above
> link that the photo in question was on top of a fridge.
> After some reading I found that the gasses given off by fridges and
> air-con can affect inkjet ink.
>
> If you don't like to yellow cast attach the photo to the front of a
> dell monitor using blu-tac - it'll turn a nice shade of pink with grey
> spots where the blu-tac is.

This is correct. Also to be considered is that most frdges are located where
else, but in the kitchen. This means the same photo is also being subjected
to various cooking smokes and other airborne pollutants.
!