Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

For the savvy amongst the group, how about these questions.

Is this a good deal on this card?
XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=674963&sku=P450-8602&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM874H
Video Card
View All Products by XFX

Price: $59.99
Less Rebate:
- $25.00
Final Price: $34.99*

AND, I read through the description but couldn't tell one way or the
other so I'll ask. Amongst these PCI video cards, which do you thing
would work as a second video card along with an AGP Ti4200/128 on my
Gateway 2.66GHz, 512 ram machine?

Video / Graphics Cards PCI Video Cards
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=319

The second reason I list these are in case someone here could use a good
deal if in fact, it is. :)

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> For the savvy amongst the group, how about these questions.
>
> Is this a good deal on this card?
> XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

No, mainly because its 'only' a FX5200, the worst of the Nvidia cards - not
much better than a Geforce 2MX.

Dan

dallas

"boB"
> For the savvy amongst the group, how about these questions.
> Is this a good deal on this card?
> XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card

No.

If they paid you $25 it would still be a bad deal. The FX 5200 was a
technological step backwards.

Dallas

> "boB"
>> For the savvy amongst the group, how about these questions.
>> Is this a good deal on this card?
>> XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card
>

> No.
>
> If they paid you $25 it would still be a bad deal. The FX 5200 was a
> technological step backwards.
>

> Dallas

Ok - the most difficult question to answer. Which chipset to avoid, Which
is OK

Looking for AGP 8x probably 128 Mb RAM

Every magazine I read has a recommendation for cards costing over £300 (i.e.
more than $450) .

None of them seem to give advice about mid (lower-mid) cards that I can
afford e.g. around £100 mark

"FREE" isn't a good deal on a 5200...

"boB" <akitaREMOVECAPS77@excite.Icom> wrote in message
> For the savvy amongst the group, how about these questions.
>
> Is this a good deal on this card?
> XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card
>
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=674963&sku=P450-8602&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM874H
> Video Card
> View All Products by XFX
>
> Price: $59.99
> Less Rebate: - $25.00
> Final Price: $34.99*

> AND, I read through the description but couldn't tell one way or the other
> so I'll ask. Amongst these PCI video cards, which do you thing would work
> as a second video card along with an AGP Ti4200/128 on my Gateway 2.66GHz,
> 512 ram machine?
>
> Video / Graphics Cards PCI Video Cards
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=319
>

> The second reason I list these are in case someone here could use a good
> deal if in fact, it is. :)
>

> --
>
> boB, SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

Justin

Keith Butcher wrote:
> "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com> wrote in message
>
>>"boB"
>>
>>>For the savvy amongst the group, how about these questions.
>>>Is this a good deal on this card?
>>>XFX GeForce FX 5200 / 128MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / TV Out / Video Card
>>

>>No.
>>
>>If they paid you $25 it would still be a bad deal. The FX 5200 was a
>>technological step backwards.
>>

>>Dallas
>>

> Ok - the most difficult question to answer. Which chipset to avoid, Which
> is OK
>
> Looking for AGP 8x probably 128 Mb RAM
>
> Every magazine I read has a recommendation for cards costing over £300 (i.e.
> more than $450) .
>
> None of them seem to give advice about mid (lower-mid) cards that I can
> afford e.g. around £100 mark

Have a lok at the nVidia 6200 or 6600 cards at either www.scan.co.uk or
www.ebuyer.co.uk

Regards
Grimbor

"Have a look at the nVidia 6200 or 6600 cards at either www.scan.co.uk or
www.ebuyer.co.uk"

These are both good cards, but if your serious about FS9 and the fact that
the new one will probably mean a card of around £100 these days isnt going
to cope that well, I would stay in the next couple of weekends, and get a
more expensive card

--
www.deadlyhosting.com - Great Game, Voice and Web Hosting.
www.deadlyhosting.com/special.php for a great special.

"Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@removethis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message

> Ok - the most difficult question to answer. Which chipset to avoid,
> Which is OK
>
> Looking for AGP 8x probably 128 Mb RAM
>
> Every magazine I read has a recommendation for cards costing over £300
> (i.e. more than $450) .
>
> None of them seem to give advice about mid (lower-mid) cards that I can
> afford e.g. around £100 mark

Currently £300 is nearer $550!!
The good thing is think how much cheaper those 'high end' cards will be in a
few months time!
But I agree, it is difficult to get reviews of 'lower' range cards.
There are some good benchmarks at
http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html

Chris

"Chris Curtis" <newsgroup@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Keith Butcher" <keith.butcher@removethis.blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in
> message news:Oynae.17961$G8.7545@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>>
>> Ok - the most difficult question to answer. Which chipset to avoid,
>> Which is OK
>>
>> Looking for AGP 8x probably 128 Mb RAM
>>
>> Every magazine I read has a recommendation for cards costing over £300
>> (i.e. more than $450) .
>>
>> None of them seem to give advice about mid (lower-mid) cards that I can
>> afford e.g. around £100 mark
>>

> Currently £300 is nearer $550!!
> The good thing is think how much cheaper those 'high end' cards will be in
> a few months time!
> But I agree, it is difficult to get reviews of 'lower' range cards.
> There are some good benchmarks at
> http://www20.graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/index.html
>
> Chris

I wasn't talking about the exchange rate, but taking into account the higher
prices of components here in the UK. In fact we are still suffering from
$=£ for many things. i.e. something that costs $100 US will come out at
£100 UK, quite ridiculous.

Thanks for the link. Think I'm heading for 6800 if/when I build my new
machine.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Thanks for the link. Think I'm heading for 6800 if/when I build my new
> machine.

Thanks for all the replys. It's still looking like a new computer after
FS10 comes out. Then my 2.66GHz machine could run WideView or something. :)

--

boB, SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

I'll second that!