VPN challenged, pls help

Last response: in Networking
September 22, 2004 7:09:08 PM

*Ok, please excuse my limited knowledge of VPN's while I attempt to
explain this problem.*

Here is the network setup:

1 Windows 2003 Server that supports 5 client machines. It is running
WINS and DNS and *sigh* an application server (Quickbooks). Using
192.168.1.* IP scheme internally.

1 Netgear 16 Port 10/100 unmanaged Switch.

1 Watchguard Soho 6 Firewall/VPN combo. I have 5 "MUVPN" client
licenses.

1 DSL Modem. Standard variety. NO static IP *sigh*, but the IP
hasn't changed yet and I set up a DynDNS hostname to auto-update the
firewall anytime the IP does change (feature of the Soho, pretty cool
i thought) so that I can use Remote Desktop amongst other things.

The physical setup is in the same order as listed above.

The object of the game:

Basically, I have one remote user. He does not have a desktop in the
office, he uses a Tablet PC. I setup the VPN and the client without
too much difficulty, and am able to connect almost immediately to the
Soho from his tablet. I am able to ping around inside the LAN, and am
able to map drives. The Tablet PC is using an AT&T wireless PCMCIA
card through the AT&T cellular network, which I have reminded this
user is going to be slower period. The user can finally see the
contents of the mapped drive, i.e. Excel spreadsheets, etc. But once
he tries to open them it locks up. You have to use Task manager to
End Task on the process. I also had him try it from his home DSL
connection instead of through the wireless service, and the same thing
happens. The same thing happens when he tries to open up his local
copy of Quickbooks on his Tablet then connect to the database on the
server. It just locks up.

Is this just me misusing the VPN? I have been told by a friend in the
biz that you do not typically open applications remotely through a
tunnel. The typical scenario in VPN use is for the user to establish
the tunnel for security purposes, then initialize a remote session to
another machine that is internally on the network you have connected
to in order to run the processes of opening apps and files. Is this
true? Am I just going to have to have this user purchase a desktop to
use to connect to remotely, or turn the server into a Terminal Server
as well for the best results?

Please advise, and I thank you VPN guru's in advance for any help!!

-RC

More about : vpn challenged pls

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:59:03 AM

Boberto wrote:
> *Ok, please excuse my limited knowledge of VPN's while I attempt to
> explain this problem.*
>
> Here is the network setup:
>
> 1 Windows 2003 Server that supports 5 client machines. It is running
> WINS and DNS and *sigh* an application server (Quickbooks). Using
> 192.168.1.* IP scheme internally.
>
> 1 Netgear 16 Port 10/100 unmanaged Switch.
>
> 1 Watchguard Soho 6 Firewall/VPN combo. I have 5 "MUVPN" client
> licenses.
>
> 1 DSL Modem. Standard variety. NO static IP *sigh*, but the IP
> hasn't changed yet and I set up a DynDNS hostname to auto-update the
> firewall anytime the IP does change (feature of the Soho, pretty cool
> i thought) so that I can use Remote Desktop amongst other things.
>
> The physical setup is in the same order as listed above.
>
> The object of the game:
>
> Basically, I have one remote user. He does not have a desktop in the
> office, he uses a Tablet PC. I setup the VPN and the client without
> too much difficulty, and am able to connect almost immediately to the
> Soho from his tablet. I am able to ping around inside the LAN, and am
> able to map drives. The Tablet PC is using an AT&T wireless PCMCIA
> card through the AT&T cellular network, which I have reminded this
> user is going to be slower period. The user can finally see the
> contents of the mapped drive, i.e. Excel spreadsheets, etc. But once
> he tries to open them it locks up. You have to use Task manager to
> End Task on the process. I also had him try it from his home DSL
> connection instead of through the wireless service, and the same thing
> happens. The same thing happens when he tries to open up his local
> copy of Quickbooks on his Tablet then connect to the database on the
> server. It just locks up.
>
> Is this just me misusing the VPN? I have been told by a friend in the
> biz that you do not typically open applications remotely through a
> tunnel. The typical scenario in VPN use is for the user to establish
> the tunnel for security purposes, then initialize a remote session to
> another machine that is internally on the network you have connected
> to in order to run the processes of opening apps and files. Is this
> true? Am I just going to have to have this user purchase a desktop to
> use to connect to remotely, or turn the server into a Terminal Server
> as well for the best results?
>
> Please advise, and I thank you VPN guru's in advance for any help!!
>
> -RC

I'm sure that if you tried to copy that spreadsheet or quickbooks data
file from the server to the client you would understand the problem
better. There is no possible way I could imagine opening a quickbooks
data file over any cellular style connection even if it was the latest
3G speeds. You need at least a 1Mbit connection for something like
quickbooks. The computer is not actually locked up, it's just waiting
for data over the extremely slow link. The only practical method of
using quickbooks on this kind of setup is with remote desktop/terminal
server technologies.

In general your problem has nothing to do with VPN. It's just a slow
link.

--
WARNING! Email address has been altered for spam resistance.
Mike Drechsler (mike-newsgroup@-deletethispart-.upcraft.com)

Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL <mike-newsgroup@-DELETETHISPART-.upcraft.com> wrote in message news:<blo4d.1298564$ic1.132043@news.easynews.com>...
> [...]
> > use to connect to remotely, or turn the server into a Terminal Server
> > as well for the best results?
> >
> > Please advise, and I thank you VPN guru's in advance for any help!!
> >
> > -RC
>
> I'm sure that if you tried to copy that spreadsheet or quickbooks data
> file from the server to the client you would understand the problem
> better. There is no possible way I could imagine opening a quickbooks
> data file over any cellular style connection even if it was the latest
> 3G speeds. You need at least a 1Mbit connection for something like
> quickbooks. The computer is not actually locked up, it's just waiting
> for data over the extremely slow link. The only practical method of
> using quickbooks on this kind of setup is with remote desktop/terminal
> server technologies.
>
> In general your problem has nothing to do with VPN. It's just a slow

I understand that through the cellular link it may not work at all -
or at least be extremely slow. Maybe I should have left that detail
out to avoid confusion. My point is that regardless of what he is
using for connectivity to the internet - cellular or DSL, his outcome
is the same. He is able to view the contents within the share on the
server, but is unable to open anything - even the Excel spreadsheets.
That is where I am stumped.

Thanks again...

-RC
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 3:56:36 AM

Boberto wrote:
> [...]
>>3G speeds. You need at least a 1Mbit connection for something like
>>quickbooks. The computer is not actually locked up, it's just waiting
>>for data over the extremely slow link. The only practical method of
>>using quickbooks on this kind of setup is with remote desktop/terminal
>>server technologies.
>>
>>In general your problem has nothing to do with VPN. It's just a slow
>>link.
>

> I understand that through the cellular link it may not work at all -
> or at least be extremely slow. Maybe I should have left that detail
> out to avoid confusion. My point is that regardless of what he is
> using for connectivity to the internet - cellular or DSL, his outcome
> is the same. He is able to view the contents within the share on the
> server, but is unable to open anything - even the Excel spreadsheets.

Copy the file to your local desktop. If it works then your problem is
not with the VPN link. The link is just slow.

--
!