EU: Microsoft Promises Not to Block Other Browsers in Win 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

acyuta

So typical of out of `useful' work EU bureaucrats, when they should be thinking about ways to not make the global economy tank further.

As to this specific issue, all browsers used by me in win 8 install and work as faultlessly as in win 7. This includes Firefox, chrome and opera. Would be interesting to know the name of the company which has complained that (a) win 8 users want their browser (b) and cannot install it.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I have Win 8 RC installed and there`s no issue concerning other browsers ... funny that they don`t touch Apple for being a closed circuit OS... I fukin hate these judges. Funny thing is that the full screen version of the IE works better than the other browsers, but i still use Opera.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
acyuta wrote:
> So typical of out of `useful' work EU bureaucrats, when they should be thinking about ways to
> not make the global economy tank further.

Global economies are in a mess because for two decades individuals, companies and govts happily
spent trillions they never had. That has nothing to do with the staff who work for EU institutions.
Look at the national debts of Greece, US, UK, Spain, Italy, etc., and the private debts too (very large
in the UK, more than a trillion). Nothing to do with the EU.

Re the browsers, good to hear you were able to use them ok, but I'll be sticking with Win7.

Ian.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Why is this even an issue, Microsoft has never blocked any other browser on any of it's versions of Windows ever
OK, maybe it has IE pre-installed but actively preventing another browser installation? Never

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
I don't want my browser to be "fully integrated" with the OS. This is the main reason I don't use IE any more (aside from the fact that it sucks)

Okay, I garnered so far: Apple hate, Economy in shambles, and someone loves Win 8.

I have no doubt Microsoft will comply with laws, and if they don't they're stupid and cannot learn from their past.

Until some developers and sites quit Active X I'm stuck with IE to access those critical sites - no choice.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Okay, I garnered so far: Apple hate, Economy in shambles, and someone loves Win 8.I have no doubt Microsoft will comply with laws, and if they don't they're stupid and cannot learn from their past.Until some developers and sites quit Active X I'm stuck with IE to access those critical sites - no choice.[/citation]
Not Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?
Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Not Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?...Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?[/citation]
Well for starters I use Chrome on my iPhone, and as far as Active X it is what it is.

Again, I cannot imagine MS wants to revisit it's past and end up in court over what's IMO a trivial matter.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jaquith[/nom]Well for starters I use Chrome on my iPhone, and as far as Active X it is what it is. Again, I cannot imagine MS wants to revisit it's past and end up in court over what's IMO a trivial matter.[/citation]
He mentioned the browser choice screen like windows has, not the ability to install a third party browser.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I thought the Windows 8 Browser concerns voiced by Mozilla were for Windows 8 RT (ARM version) and not the full (x86) version of 8? I don't think the pro version was ever a concern.

I want to see them make the same promise to allow full support of other browsers for Windows 8 RT. I hate that there is not Firefox available on my Wife's iPad due to Apple locking down iOS so hard. Its one of the main reasons I have an Android.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]mapesdhs[/nom]acyuta wrote:> So typical of out of `useful' work EU bureaucrats, when they should be thinking about ways to> not make the global economy tank further.Global economies are in a mess because for two decades individuals, companies and govts happilyspent trillions they never had. That has nothing to do with the staff who work for EU institutions.Look at the national debts of Greece, US, UK, Spain, Italy, etc., and the private debts too (very largein the UK, more than a trillion). Nothing to do with the EU.Re the browsers, good to hear you were able to use them ok, but I'll be sticking with Win7.Ian.[/citation]

i thought that the final straw was major corporations betting billions on bad debt that would had the odds of paying out that were worse than betting green on roulette

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Not Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?...Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?[/citation]

apples computer install base is pathetic, windows still has a monopoly when it comes to the desktop. so as far as that goes, apple doesnt need to play by the same rules as a monopoly.

that said, the eu is so stupid when it comes to crap they make windows do and the fines they make them pay, all over internet explorer...

seriously, if i was microsoft i would patch the internet out of windows for them, just out of spite. not forcing windows to package every browser with the computer and asking which they want installed.

i would have a problem if windows actively blocked programs from working, but they dont... anyone know if they did in the past?

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] if windows actively blocked programs from working, but they dont... anyone know if they did in the past?[/citation]

No and yes. I have owned every version of Windows and no browser has ever been blocked. But the security features do block some MALWARE. So in that sense yes. I doubt anyone wants MALWARE on their computer though. Of course you could disable the security features and still install it if you are one of those people who really like your PC to be filled with viruses.

As for Win 8, I am still debating it. I just have W7 home, so upgrading to Win8 pro for 40 bucks (intro offer) is very appealing.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]I have Win 8 RC installed and there`s no issue concerning other browsers ... funny that they don`t touch Apple for being a closed circuit OS... I fukin hate these judges. Funny thing is that the full screen version of the IE works better than the other browsers, but i still use Opera.[/citation]

"Closed Circuit" really!!!!, please don't post using such words. Not only that, the article states the main issue is the release of the APIs. Please also note, there isn't a issue installing other browsers per the article. FINALLY, I am so happy you found one trait "Full Screen Option" in IE that rivals all other browsers.

nieur

while sneaking into these HIGHLY SENSITIVE matter will European Commissioner have time to check into real matters such as false rape allegations against Jullian Assange?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

Before you make a stupid comment maybe you should read the article. The problem isn't installation, it's integration. The browsers can be installed. I doubt that your installations work flawlessly. A number of browsers have complained about not having full API access, for example Mozilla was having issues getting hardware acceleration to work because they didn't have the necessary access to the graphics subsystem.

It's like running a portable app on the system instead of a full blown properly installed app.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Before you make a stupid comment maybe you should read the article. The problem isn't installation, it's integration. The browsers can be installed. I doubt that your installations work flawlessly. A number of browsers have complained about not having full API access, for example Mozilla was having issues getting hardware acceleration to work because they didn't have the necessary access to the graphics subsystem. It's like running a portable app on the system instead of a full blown properly installed app.[/citation]
Maybe they should spend 30 years and tens of billions of dollars making their own desktop OS, before expecting a free ride via some IT illiterate EU bureaucrat

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Not Apple hate, just annoying that the worlds largest company doesn't have to comply with the same laws, where is the browser choice screen in OSX or iOS? Come to think of it, where is the browser choice screen for Android?...Also if it's developers and sites that continue to use ActiveX then it's not Microsoft's fault at all is it?[/citation]

Apple is not "the world's largest company"
Not even remotely !

Their stock is simply traded the highest in Vegas at the moment; correction.. in Wallstreet. :)