Need to backup WMP database

nianrakluz

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hi. I have to reformat my computer. But before that i need to backup all my song ratings in Windows Media Player. Suggestion for backing up the database in XP is not applicable in win7 as the 'application data' folder is not accessible.

nianrakluz

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

Well.. I'm the only user of my pc. There is no other user account. My account status shows that i'm the administrator. I can view the file. It just that 'access is denied'. Still think the problem is with my user account?

mi1ez

Splendid
IT's probably owned by the "user" system.

you need to take ownership of it.

run cmd as admin
type in

takeown /r /f c:\...\...(wherever the file/containing folder is) <return>
icscls c:\...\...(as before) /grant <username:mad:f) <return>

Now navigate to the file/folder right click and go into security and edit. give yourself full access. you should now be able to do what you want with it.

nianrakluz

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
ok. i think i did what you've told.
i've typed these things into the command line:

takeown /r /f C:\ProgramData\Application Data <return> icscls C:\ProgramData\Application Data /grant <***> <return>

and then i could open that 'application folder'.
a weird thing happened then. the 'application data' folder seems exactly like the 'program data' folder, containing another 'application data' folder. If i keep opening 'app data' folder, the file path will be:

C:\ProgramData\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data\Application Data

Am i looking in the right place here? I just want the wmp database file. I can find 'wmp' folder in under 'program files' but not sure which file to backup.