Pocket PC Won't Sync With Active Sync

September 19, 2004 8:35:29 PM

Active Sync can't find my Pocket PC when I put it into the
cradle to sync. Any idea what the problem is, and the
solution? Connections seems to be fine.
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 2:17:41 AM

Andy,

Can you be more specific? Are you getting a particular error message? If
so, what is that error message?

Also, what verions of ActiveSync are you using and what is the made and
model of your Pocket PC?

In the mean time, try doing a soft reset of your Pocket PC (usually an inset
button on the side or back of the unit. Check your owner's manual to be
sure), let it come back up then cradle the unit and see if it will
synchronize.

Kind Regards,

--
Clinton Fitch
Editor

http://www.clintonfitch.com - Pocket PC Reviews
http://www.hpcfactor.com - Handheld PC Reviews

"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Active Sync can't find my Pocket PC when I put it into the
> cradle to sync. Any idea what the problem is, and the
> solution? Connections seems to be fine.
September 20, 2004 8:21:09 AM

Clinton,

Thank you for your response. I usually automatically get
a sync as soon as I dock my PPC in the cradle. Now I get
nothing. When I choose the "Get Connected" option in the
Active Sync window, it searches for my PPC but cannot find
it. I get a message that the "Device was not detected".

I have an Ipaq that I bought in 2001. I updated when the
next operating system came out, I believe in 2002. No
updates since then.

Any ideas or suggestions?

September 20, 2004 8:24:11 AM

Clinton again,

I forgot to mention that I have soft resetted several
times and this has no effect on my sync problem.

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 11:17:50 AM

Andy,

Are you using ActiveSync 3.7? What is your Windows OS? If it is XP, have
you recently upgraded to Service Pack 2?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to try to be accurate on my
answer.

One suggestion as well, Chris De Herrera has several troubleshooting guides
on his site, http://www.cewindows.net. I don't kow if you have looked there
but he has a lot of good information on his site regarding ActiveSync,
troubleshooting it and the like.

Let me know on my questions.

Regards,

--

> Clinton,
>
> Thank you for your response. I usually automatically get
> a sync as soon as I dock my PPC in the cradle. Now I get
> nothing. When I choose the "Get Connected" option in the
> Active Sync window, it searches for my PPC but cannot find
> it. I get a message that the "Device was not detected".
>
> I have an Ipaq that I bought in 2001. I updated when the
> next operating system came out, I believe in 2002. No
> updates since then.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?

September 20, 2004 12:35:30 PM

Clinton,

I have Active Sync 3.7. I just, in fact, reinstalled it
to see if there was a glitch, but I still have the same
problem.

I have Windows XP and I believe I'm set for automatic
upgrades. So I think I have Service Pack 2 but I will
check.

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. I
will be leaving for the day but will be back online
tomorrow morning.

Thanks.

September 20, 2004 3:56:55 PM

I had that problem a while back. It's very frustrating.
What solved it for me was to go to my default "My
Documents" folder and delete the subdirectory (or
"folder") that was created when I established the
partnership--named something like "Pocket_PC_1"--
along with all its contents. Then the next time I
popped the Pocket PC in the cradle, it set up a brand
new partnership, and I haven't had the problem since.
Careful though. If there's anything in that folder on
your hard drive that you don't want to lose, you'd
better copy it to a safe place first.

Let me know if you try it, and if it works for you.

Rob

"Andy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<348b01c49ea1$591b4860$a401280a@phx.gbl>...
> Active Sync can't find my Pocket PC when I put it into the
> cradle to sync. Any idea what the problem is, and the
> solution? Connections seems to be fine.
September 20, 2004 9:06:29 PM

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:24:11 -0700,

>Clinton again,
>
>I forgot to mention that I have soft resetted several
>times and this has no effect on my sync problem.

Are you sure the connections are OK?
I ask because the tiny metal connector on mine is not 'quite' in the
right place and I have to wiggle it about, sometimes disconnect and
connect a few times, hold it right in until eventually sometimes it
will work. I think I bent the wire a bit taking it out too quick
without pressing in the sides. I don't have a cradle as yet, mine is
just a USB charger/ connector.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 2:49:36 PM

As someone else suggested, have you tried a soft reset? I had the same
problem with my PPC this morning. Everything worked OK yesterday, but today,
it would not see the PDA. Did a soft reset (NOT hard reset) and everything
works now. Try it.

JJVP

!