Sign in with
Your question

1gig high quality or 2gig value RAM????

Last response: in Memory
February 12, 2006 12:38:18 PM

Just wondering which is a better option to get, my system will have an X2 4400+ along with an Asus A8N-E Ultra mobo.
I'm not sure wether i plan on overclocking, not tried it so far but probably will do in the future when i know more about it.
At the moment im planning on getting 1gig of OCZ PC3200 Gold GX XTC series with tight timings of 2-2-2-5.
Would it benefit me to get 2gigs of low quality value ram with looser timings? What differences in performance will it make?
I know the more ram you have the better but doesnt the quality of the ram matter as well? Also don't AMD's work better with tigh timings and low latencies?
February 12, 2006 12:53:19 PM

I'd say get the 2Gb value ram. I used 2Gb value ram in one of my pc and it works fine. Although it doesn't have the peformance but I was able to clocked it faster or at the same speed set the timings tighter. There's a big difference of both, like playing BF2, my high performance 1Gb ram wasn't able to keep up and the screen stutters. Now I used 2Gb of ram and runs all games flawlessly.

I have an Intel rig with the DDR2 ram so Im not 100% sure if you can run BF2 smoothly with 1Gb on AMD. But for sure theres' a big difference on both.
February 12, 2006 1:02:56 PM

Yep I would go 2gb value ram.

Good value ram can hit some good speeds when overclocked and you can always use a ram divider when you do overclock.

Also depends what you do with the comp but in general now, with a dual core i would say go 2gb.
Related resources
February 12, 2006 1:54:33 PM

Ok, are there any good value ram modules about that anyone can recommend?
Mainly planning on it being a gaming rig, getting the ATI X1900 XT, also I'd like to be able to overclock the ram if im getting the value stuff so what would be the best to go for?
February 12, 2006 10:27:29 PM

id say 1 gb ram! apps will never need 2 gb and you dont really need that much
February 13, 2006 8:22:26 AM

Well by the looks of it it will be a gaming machine. Now for one BF2 already uses 1.2gb on high settings, so saying apps will not use 2gb is wrong.

BF2 is probably just the start of it more games will follow in the high memory usage.

Also they guy is buying a dual core so in theory he can have twice as many apps running and they all need ram. I would say 1gb of ram will put a limit on that lovely expensive dual core.

Also remember that if you go 2x512mb and then decide you need more running 4x512mb will hinder performance. That would defeat the object of getting the lower latency ram.

I have geil value ram 2x1gb pc3200 and mine will go up to 239mhz with no voltage increase and stable.

Any of the major brands should show the same results, ocz, corsair, crucial, g skill.
February 13, 2006 3:53:42 PM

Any value RAM from Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, Geil, or Crucial is fine.

I personally recommend Corsair.

-mpjesse
February 13, 2006 9:30:28 PM

I choose 2Gig.
February 13, 2006 10:08:39 PM

Quote:

He doesn't play BF2.

You know, my first computer was a 486 DX4 100 Mhz. It came with 16 MB of RAM. The guy who built it for me said I would NEVER need more than that.

Never is a strong word.
February 13, 2006 10:43:48 PM

Quote:

Sure, if you dont wanna run anything newer than XP and don't plan on playing BF2, FEAR or something modern.

Hide
February 15, 2006 3:03:39 AM

May be you right.
May be 1Gig will better than 2Gig.

But,
how about future's need about larger memory?

Like this conditions.
In several years ago, when I am very familiar and very luv Windoze 98 (still until now), I dont need to buy a 512MB DDR-RAM. Windoze 98 will not give an extra speed for that, but another OS, XP give an extra-ordinary speed! Hmmm... 512MB RAM is good for my XP, but still ordinary for the 98.

So, how about the future's need about memory?
February 15, 2006 3:21:27 AM

Get 1 gig of good ram for now and get another stick of it later when it comes down, thats what im doing.

AMD A64 4000+
ABIT AN8-SLi
Connect 3D X850XT
1 GIG OCZ PC4000, DDR500
300 GIG Maxtor SATA
Windows XP PRO SP2
Ultra 500 Watt PSU
Emprex Double LAyer DVD+RW, CD+RW
Lots of Fans
February 15, 2006 4:09:26 AM

go for the 1GB quality RAM. This way you know you are getting RAM that can perform at the level you want. Value RAM is a gamble.

you will not get significant performance benefits from new games with 2GB over 1GB. Here's a toms hardware article showing that fact: http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/13/how_much_ram_do_...

And for more proof, I play BF2 on high settings with no stuttering and no problems at all. I have 1GB of mid grade ram running at 2-3-3-6, but it will not clock faster than DDR400 and I am regretting not going for better RAM because it is actually holding back my system from reaching its max potential. I have a SEMPRON processor and Geforce 6600GT.

why put together a computer with an X2 CPU and then skimp on RAM? don't do it, you will regret it.
February 15, 2006 5:33:27 AM

I'd recommend 2GB (1GB x 2), Brand: PQI.
The PQI Turbo dual channel kit 2GB (1GB x2) DDR400 @ 2-3-2-5 timings.
There are reviews on newegg where people hit DDR500 @3-3-2-5 timings but I think newegg have sold out of them so you'll have to find them else where. Newegg's got some other ones but they use different chips hence they are only at 3-4-4-8 timings.
Rumor has it that they are doing some white brand work for OCZ.
Two of my friends got these Turbo modules in Jan, 2006 and both of them were able to hit DDR500 speeds.
Then again, I think on X-bit Labs have a recent roundup of 2GB kits and they didnt do too well in the overclocking department which is odd.........
It ran perfectly fine at DDR400 @ 2-3-2-5 but could only reach DDR 430 @ 3-4-4-8 when overclocked which seems strange to me.
Dont know what they did but the results didnt seem right to me.
Anyway....................thats my pick - PQI Turbo DDR400 2GB (1GBx2) Dual Channel Kit.......I think it was about $160~$180 USD with $20 rebate on Newegg.....a bargain I think it is!!!!
February 15, 2006 6:21:01 AM

I wish people would stop preaching the toms article on ram. Why test the theory using 800x600, who plays games at that resolution? I find that article a bit of a joke. There are much better articles out there.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/2gb-ram...

http://images.crucial.com/pdf/CrucialBF2.pdf

http://www.benscustomcases.com/index2.php?option=com_co...

http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/tech/AN50...

The higher the res you play and the higher the settings the more ram you will need.

I suggest you read up on it, if your not a big overclocker value is fine, timings are over rated by those running 1-1-1-1 :lol:  .
Decide what is important to you, remember its better to run 2 sticks of ram than 1 or 3 or 4 so bare that in mind when thinking about future upgrades.

Quote:
why put together a computer with an X2 CPU and then skimp on RAM? don't do it, you will regret it.

Why put together a dual core and limit its ram, if you will be running twice as many apps then you will need a larger amount of ram.

As for playing BF2 on high with a 6600 you must get about 10fps and you cant possibly go near 64 player maps that would cripple it.
February 15, 2006 9:21:13 PM

Right well all of this has been alot of help in choosing how much ram to get.
I was able to cut back on a few things (dvd rewriter, HDD) so i can now afford 2gig of OCZ PC3200 at 2-3-2-5, also going to learn how to overclock and really take advantage of the modules as im now getting a DFI NF4 Ultra D motherboard.
Spose getting 2gig of good ram is much better than 2gig of value, also for overclocking.
February 16, 2006 7:59:18 PM

can't you just get 2gigs of good ram?
i'm getting 2x1gig ocz el platinum 2-2-2-5 ram
$320cad
February 16, 2006 8:40:32 PM

You can go ahead and buy your 'high quality' really expensive RAM, but when it comes down to it, with everything else being equal, the 1 gig @ a lower latency MAY get about 2fps more than the 2gigs. BUT 2 gigs will load programs much faster, have better multitasking abilities, have a higher minimum FPS, and is more future-proof than 1 gig. In games, latencies mean very little, and if 2fps is alot to you, just OC your GFX card a little to make up for it. On an A64, running memory asynchronously gives nearly no disadvantage to running synchronously, unlike back in the aXP days. Save your cash and get the value ram.
February 16, 2006 9:02:22 PM

Quote:

didn't bill gates say something along the lines of:

"you will never need more than 64k of memory..."
February 24, 2006 10:33:55 PM

I hope I can add some value to this topic by asking why hasn't anyone mentioned dual channel memory, or is it assumed thats what everyone is going for? Dual channel is better right? by increasing bandwidth. So it would be silly not to get 2 sticks of duel channel.
February 24, 2006 10:43:20 PM

i did mention dual channel, the ocz el platinum 2x1gig 2-2-2-5 is dual channel, and so is the 1gig, but then if you want to upgrade to 2igig later, it will no longer be dual channel if there are 4 sticks.
February 24, 2006 11:02:00 PM

Quote:
Just wondering which is a better option to get, my system will have an X2 4400+ along with an Asus A8N-E Ultra mobo.
I'm not sure wether i plan on overclocking, not tried it so far but probably will do in the future when i know more about it.
At the moment im planning on getting 1gig of OCZ PC3200 Gold GX XTC series with tight timings of 2-2-2-5.
Would it benefit me to get 2gigs of low quality value ram with looser timings? What differences in performance will it make?
I know the more ram you have the better but doesnt the quality of the ram matter as well? Also don't AMD's work better with tigh timings and low latencies?

I'd say definitely go for the 2GB. I got 2Gb of Corsair 3200 @ 3-3-3-8 for $210 and my X2 LOVES IT. Even the memory crazed Firefox doesn't affect system speed when it has chewed up 1GB of RAM.
February 25, 2006 2:55:58 PM

Quote:
it will no longer be dual channel if there are 4 sticks.

That would be wrong.

Most motherboards dont support dual channel with odd numbers of DIMMs, such as 1 or 3... 2 and 4 should work just dandy in dual channel.
February 25, 2006 3:43:43 PM

I'd go with 2 gigs myself, value ram from a respected company will do you just fine. It has been my opinion that overclocking memory can be at times overrated.
February 26, 2006 1:27:19 AM

are you sure? cause i remeber reading somewhere that it wouldn't, either way, its best to get 2 dimms instead of 4 because it performs better.
February 26, 2006 1:46:03 AM

with the dual core id go with the 2 gigs for sure
February 26, 2006 3:14:42 AM

are the Ultra brand chips from Tiger direct any good? I am currently running 1 512 sticks of Kingston Value Ram. And i would notice the performance upgrade of 2 sticks of 1 gig ram, but don't have a lot of money for it. These are fairly well priced and the reviews on the TD website sound good, just want your guys opinion.
February 26, 2006 1:40:42 PM

the ultra should be great they probaly dont over clock very good and i think they have lifetime warranty and with 2 gigs and a dualcore you dont need to
February 26, 2006 1:53:01 PM

2 gigs of ocz 2-3-2-5 (oc to 2-2-2-5)memory goes for 210 @ newegg with a 45 dollar mail in rebate.... with dual core if you want to run 2 or more different programs at a time then, 2 gigs is the only way to go. I use tighter timings vs higher htt/fsb speeds on my opteron 165.

oh yeah, I tried 1 gig of ram and tried to use dvdrebuilder and tried to play call of duty 2, had to use the swap file. So after that I upgraded to 2 gigs and now I play games and encode dvd or audio with out any slowdown. I your only going 2 run 1 program at a time then dont get a dual core anyway, its no use for it with limited memory.
February 26, 2006 9:47:38 PM

I bought 1GB high quality corsair memory and now i regret it. :cry: 
2GB value are much better
February 26, 2006 10:51:52 PM

hey i already have 1 gig of ram in the form of the Corsair TWINX1024-3200C2. and i was looking forward to upgrading. should i get 2 or 1 more gigs?
February 26, 2006 10:59:54 PM

if you already have the 2 512s id go with two more
i had 2 xms 512s for about 3 months and added 2 more about a month ago
and man what a diffrence
my comp can be off and i turn it on and within 5 mins im playing bf2
including windows loading starting bf2 picking a server load game and
verifing client data
a b } Memory
February 26, 2006 11:18:57 PM

Corsair value select, 2.5 latency, 68 bucks for 1 gig at newegg this weekend.
February 26, 2006 11:35:04 PM

so, you're saying i should get one more gig instead of two more?
ps.i currently have my TWINX1024-3200C2 memory at ddr500
February 27, 2006 12:06:02 AM

Come on people......OCZ PC3200 2-3-2-5 Vs PQI Turbomemory 2-3-2-5?
Notice the similar timings?? Out source white brand work??
OCZ at $300 Vs PQI $180? White brand work info from reliable source.......I'll let you decide, its your system afterall......

"no longer be dual channel if there are 4 sticks"??......this is incorrect!!
With 2 sticks, you'll be able to run dual channel at 1T command rate and 2T command rate with 4 sticks. I've try both 512MB x 2 and 512MB x 4. Main difference comes in benchmarks and overclocking, DDR400 benchmarks at 1T was around 5900MB/sec compared to 4800MB/sec at 2T. Overclocking was 257MHz @ 2.9V (2 sticks) Vs 243MHz @ 2.9V (4 sticks).
In real world performance however, the 2GB of memory seems to feel better in terms of multi-tasking, loading programs (Photoshop, CAD, 3DMax), smoother in games, etc. So if high overclocks and big numbers are you thing, then 2 sticks is the way to go!!

I have read somewhere that people are getting their board to recognize 3 sticks and run them in dual channel........while there is no way to comfirm it but its possible as there are people out there with early 939 CPUs that runs 4 sticks at DDR400 speeds when on paper, it's only meant to run at DDR333 speeds. So the bottom line is, on paper and in theory, with 3 sticks or odd number of sticks, it should run in single channel. 2 or 4 sticks, it should be in dual channel.
February 27, 2006 12:34:18 AM

if you could sell that 1gig set and get a 2gig 2 stick then go for it. with a64/opteron you dont need 2 oc you memory, cpu speed is king vs ocing memory... in the old days athlon xp / p4 prosessors needed that extra memory speed, but now thats not true with the onboard memory controler that the a64/opterons have.
February 28, 2006 3:09:16 AM

Quote:
if you could sell that 1gig set and get a 2gig 2 stick then go for it. with a64/opteron you dont need 2 oc you memory, cpu speed is king vs ocing memory... in the old days athlon xp / p4 prosessors needed that extra memory speed, but now thats not true with the onboard memory controler that the a64/opterons have.

and if i add the two gigs of ram, will my performance increase a lot? or should i just do what you say, and get rid of my 1 gig?
im looking for best performance, not biggest oc or numbers
February 28, 2006 3:12:33 AM

Quote:

and if i add the two gigs of ram, will my performance increase a lot? or should i just do what you say, and get rid of my 1 gig?
im looking for best performance, not biggest oc or numbers

2 gigs will make a huge difference, that being said you should try to get 2x1 gig sticks vs 4x512(but if you can't then out of the 4 sticks whatever the weakest ones timings are that is what the other 3 will have to run at(.
February 28, 2006 3:58:28 AM

Get a gig of a extremely powerful RAM. It will have seriously power over a 2 gig set that is laggy and low frequency. Some OCZ, Patriot, Corsair or such PC4400/4800 should do. If you don't want to overclock, just lower your processor multiplier for a slightly higher overclock or stock speed. 2gigs just doesn't pay off as much as we would like to think, as previously stated.
February 28, 2006 4:30:02 AM

Quote:
Get a gig of a extremely powerful RAM. It will have seriously power over a 2 gig set that is laggy and low frequency. Some OCZ, Patriot, Corsair or such PC4400/4800 should do. If you don't want to overclock, just lower your processor multiplier for a slightly higher overclock or stock speed. 2gigs just doesn't pay off as much as we would like to think, as previously stated.

dvd rebuilder runs about 500-600 megs of ram, then I also play cod2 serious sam 2 quake 4( each of those games takes anywhere from 700megs to 1.1 gigs alone. I avg about 1.4-1.6 gigs of usage, trust me it comes in handy just depends on how much memory you use. Ultra tight timings of 2-2-2-5 with OCZ ram.

1 gig is standard for most apps (if you have a dual core then you multi task then need 2 gigs of ram). I tried 1 gig of memory from ocz pc4000, but when it started swaping from the hdd and loading was crappy, I got a 2x1 set and those problems are gone :) 
!