Sign in with
Your question

what is best agp card ??

Last response: in Overclocking
February 12, 2006 3:31:58 PM

first of all, are the video card manufactors finished making agp card?? Ar ATI and NIVIDIA going to release any more agp cards? IF not what is the best video card you can buy, to use for gaming??

More about : agp card

February 12, 2006 4:58:26 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the 7800GS was the last AGP card made. AGP just can't deliver enough power or bandwidth. Plus AGP cards are overpriced. Where I live a X850XT PE costs more than a GTX or a X1800XT.

Of course, I'm no expert, please correct me if I'm wrong anyone.
February 12, 2006 4:59:48 PM

No most of the market is still agp if they stop making agp cards they would lose half they're business.
Related resources
February 12, 2006 5:39:07 PM

I think AGP cards are about to totally die out. The 7800GS will probably be one of the last ones made. I'm not impressed with the 7800GS, because every review I've seen, the x850xt beats it nicely in almost all games/benchmarks.
February 12, 2006 5:57:47 PM

there will probably not be any more high end agp cards or else that would show there is no reason for the industry to pressure people into moving into pci-e. nvidias release of the 7800 for AGP was surprising, new AGP cards released now will probly just be value or butchered cards. PCI video cards were still made up until about a year ago, but they were terrible cards, probly same will go with AGP for a year or so
February 12, 2006 5:59:13 PM

THEY ARE DYING BUT THEY WILL NOT STOP MAKING THEM AND IF YOU ARE LOOKING FORA GOOD AGP FOR GAMING I WOULD SAY A X850OR WHAT EVER THEY ARE CALLED...THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE 7800GS
February 12, 2006 7:14:06 PM

depends the 7800GS have Ps3.0 so it up to you if you want quality/compatibility or playability/performance. Peace.
February 12, 2006 8:47:48 PM

yea, 7800GS for now, or maybe the X850PE, I've never been an ATI fan, StarWars Knights had a graphics problem for a year and a half and ATI could never seem to fix it even though it worked fine on drivers more than two years old.

Remember when the first PCIe cards came out, with corresponding AGP versions? Were there any difference then? I didn't see any. AGP may be slower than PCIe, but that is why these cards have 256MB of RAM. The 30GBps data rate dwarfs even PCIe, so I doubt it makes much, if any, noticable difference unless you are going for one of those hypermemory cards, with like, 32MB RAM.

The 7800GS is a disappointment. It seams that they are trying to force people to upgrade. You can't compare the 7800GS with any other PCIe card directly, it's apples to oranges. I am going to just wait. I'm going to just live with my 9800PRO until the GFX card industry get some sense again. Right now the best deal I see is a EVA PCIe 7800GT for around $289. But that is still $100 over my price range, not to mention I'd need a new MB. And isn't it nearly time for the next generation chips?

The 5500 series sucked(or blew I guess), the 6x00 series was a lot better, but the 7x series looks real good to me, as long as you don't get a castrated one like the GS.

And one more observation:
7800GTX = 6800ultra
7800GT = 6800GT
7????? = 6600/6600GT
7800GS = 6200
February 13, 2006 12:51:45 AM

haha im hopeing to run UT2007 with my system maybe in a year ill upgrade to a pci-e mobo and gfx card.
February 13, 2006 11:38:25 AM

haven't seen any benchmark for 7800gs but u seem to not like it. i'll do some reserch. a good card in the 200$ range is x800gto or x800gto2. don't know what the diffrence is right now between the two but i know that they can become x800pro, menaing that they have 16pipelines with 4 blocked. 6800gs is also a good choice in the same price range. x850xtpe is kind of expensive.

of course they want to get rid of agp because:
1st: it is more expensive to make both agp and pciexpress card at the same time
2nd: the new platforms are moving to pciexpress wich has only a theoretical advantage over the agp.

theoretically pciexpress is 4 time faster than agp. in fact it is 2x faster because of it's concept. and in reality it has the same performance as agp since the data transfer is mainly done in the video board between the gpu and video ram (and that is why the speed of the ram is so important) and not between cpu and video card.
February 13, 2006 12:32:56 PM

the X850xt is the best AGP card. Newegg has it for 200. I wonder what Nvidia was thinking...
February 13, 2006 1:30:40 PM

Quote:
haha im hopeing to run UT2007 with my system maybe in a year ill upgrade to a pci-e mobo and gfx card.

Same here!

In response to the questions, I believe the manufacturers are still making some AGP cards (mostly middle to low end) for the time being. That's their $$$ market so they will cater to that market as long as needed.

They probably won't make any newer cards, I think the 7800GS was a fluke, some leftovers from the PCIe GTX and GT cards that didn't quite make it in the manufacturing process.

As stated earlier, the x850 card is probably the best card for AGP if you can get one for a decent price. Once the 7800GS price drops closer to $200 it would then be the best.
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2006 1:59:52 PM

Quote:
first of all, are the video card manufactors finished making agp card?? Ar ATI and NIVIDIA going to release any more agp cards? IF not what is the best video card you can buy, to use for gaming??

Best current AGP cards would be the X850XT (Speed) and 7800GS (features like HDR and SM3.0). But I hear Sapphire is set to release an X1900XT based AGP card.
February 13, 2006 2:39:57 PM

Quote:
But I hear Sapphire is set to release an X1900XT based AGP card

really? got a link to that?
February 13, 2006 9:42:59 PM

Now I'm pissed....I spent $283 for an X800XT just as Nvidia and ATi release faster products for better prices...ARGGHH....
a b U Graphics card
February 13, 2006 10:31:16 PM

Quote:
Now I'm pissed....I spent $283 for an X800XT just as Nvidia and ATi release faster products for better prices...ARGGHH....

That's the name of the game though..
February 13, 2006 11:06:35 PM

Quote:

http://www.atacom.com/program/atacom.cgi?USER_ID=www&cart_id=&SEARCH=SEARCH_ALL&ordered_number=&KEYWORDS=VIDA_PNYX_Q4_4B&Disp_item2.x=3&Disp_item2.y=1

Best AGP card withouta doubt. Made for Workstations and photo editing but it supposedly beats the 7800GS as far as gaming performance as well...hope you got money to burn though!!!
February 14, 2006 6:20:22 AM

Quote:

http://www.atacom.com/program/atacom.cgi?USER_ID=www&cart_id=&SEARCH=SEARCH_ALL&ordered_number=&KEYWORDS=VIDA_PNYX_Q4_4B&Disp_item2.x=3&Disp_item2.y=1

Best AGP card withouta doubt. Made for Workstations and photo editing but it supposedly beats the 7800GS as far as gaming performance as well...hope you got money to burn though!!!

that is a nvidia quadro fx and is meant for professional video editing and such jobs. it's not for games and for what i know it is lame in that business.
February 14, 2006 6:32:16 AM

Quote:

Best current AGP cards would be the X850XT (Speed) and 7800GS (features like HDR and SM3.0). But I hear Sapphire is set to release an X1900XT based AGP card.
Agree. X1900XT may be the last ticket for apg slot user to enjoy new games.
February 14, 2006 7:20:34 AM

o yeah hey buddy :)  forgot it was you, what do you need this card for anyway? i though you had your other x800?
June 29, 2008 2:05:20 PM

dvdpiddy said:
No most of the market is still agp if they stop making agp cards they would lose half they're business.

It is called move on... lols

actually the computer market was designed to throw the obsolete. From software to hardware and they successfully do that by releasing new bunch of techno gadgets which awesome specs from time to time. AGP has its dead end. There maybe still AGP cards sold but good brands no longer build this thing.

I think Geforce 7 model is the last NVIDIA AGP support.
July 8, 2008 8:43:03 PM

It's really called necro-posting.

This thread was dead 2 years ago, man. Look at the date difference between your post, and the one above yours..... (2/14/06 vs 6/29/08)

may it die in peace...
August 2, 2008 12:39:59 AM

Im, keep this damn thread alive no matter what!

Anyways, ATI is making AGP 4850's :p 
August 2, 2008 10:32:26 PM

do they make an ISA slot 4850's ? as id like to use mine on my 386sx with 128mb sdr ram?
August 3, 2008 7:49:56 AM

Quote:

roflmao. be good if people researched before they made stupid comments...

Quote:
Anyways, ATI is making AGP 4850's :p 

im hoping that was a joke... 4850's would be bottlenecked by the agp bus and the only people using an agp 4850 would have old ddr P4/celeron systems. ridiculous...
Quote:
do they make an ISA slot 4850's ? as id like to use mine on my 386sx with 128mb sdr ram?

point proven, lol.
August 4, 2008 8:59:20 PM

lol i just heard bout it doesn't mean its true
August 20, 2008 3:23:42 AM

ATI has released an HD card on AGP, its rare but they did do it
August 20, 2008 5:26:54 AM

overpriced junk they become when place in AGP slot.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
a b K Overclocking
February 17, 2009 10:50:51 AM

Well, just to keep this dead thread alive :-)

A suggestion for the people keep pushed by friends on their AGP system.
NO NEED to change a system just because of AGP card.

My 3 years old Shuttle SN95 system is a nice product. (in fact it was a pricy one)
2GB memory is enough, AMD64 3500+ is fast enough for any activity I need.
My External 250GB HDD far enough to store any movie I do not want to burn on DVD.
So, my PC fulfilled all my requirements till end 2008. Also, I would not get too much money for that.

Recently I was interested in HD videoplayback, but my Radeon 9550 found to be not enough (in fact, was a little slow under Battlefield 2 and 2142, HalfLife2, at 1024 x 768)

I needed a new card. I had tons of stuff on my PC, and do not have enough time to reinstall a new one (not to mention the archivings).
The power consumption(heat) and noise were in focus, because it has a small housing, and standing next to me on the desk.

I chose an ATI Sapphire HD2600Pro (DDR2), it is far enough for any HD movie playback (supports native playback without CPU usage), in games I could switch to native 19" monitor resoltion (fluent gameplay). HD3650 would be better, but I have in this small house a place for a 1-slot VGA card.

Till the time I will be not interested in latest games -like Crysis- it will fulfill my demands on:
- older games (still a lot of fun, NOT only latest games can give you the challenge).
- Internet and forums
- Creation and editing of Office documents
-

For all the folks keeps pushed on their aged AGP system: if it looks OK, stable, and fast enough for your requirements, do no mind what other people say; it does not worth the money to spend to just have a PCI videocard, modern AGPs are still OK

Bye: MMS
January 14, 2010 1:50:47 PM

Hi,

I would like to ask, any different between video card AGP 512mb (DDR and DDR2)? my motherboard is those old type P4 4-pin but still in good condition yet my graphic card does not support my high end game, so i bought BFG Tech BFGE73512GT GeForce 7300GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card and my previous graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 5200 128MB AGP, is there any different between DDR and DDR2 or is just the version only?
!