NIC remains ON after shutdown #2

metala

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Well I have a problem with this "nice" function of the NIC that i don't need.
Actually this is the reason that i hate this NIC ...

Here is the problem:

I made myself a connection between 2 blocks* with ТПЧ 2+1 cabel which is not twisted very much .... so the connection can be only 10 MBps .. if i connect on 100 MBps my NIC stats to flood the switch and lags to everyone.
So the problem is when i shutdown the PC (or start) the NIC reinitialize at 100MBps at default ... and till it's stopped (or starting OS) it floods the switch.
I fix the problem for a while using another NIC whick has only 10MBps .. but i don't know what happened and this NIC loses packets now.So i have to use the Wake-On-LAN NIC which is not very good for me :)

*place where people live(i'm not sure if everyone can understand me.. this is the reasons of the comments)

PS.Don't say "Change the cabel", if you don't want to die!

sturm

Splendid
CHANGE THE CABLE!!!!! :D

The wake on lan wont hurt any thing. Disable it in the bios( if it has the option).
Many nics stay on due to most motherboards still recieve some power after shutoff.

dont worry about it.

Oh yea,

CHANGE THE CABLE!!!! :D

CcAgan

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Go to your local electric supply store and get a box of cat 5e...

Spec says the cable should be no more than 90m allowing 5m on each end for patch cables... but you can bend those rules as long as your terminations are neat and clean. NEXT and FEXT are the real ethernet killers (near end and far end cross talk)