FX5700 256MB
Enermax 330W PS

With this:
Athlon64 3000 Venice $160
Abit KN8 Ultra $99
Corsair XMS 1GB Kit CL2 2-3-3-6 $99
eVGA GF6800 256MB $169
FSP AX400 400W PS $40

My goal: Upgrade my general use/gaming system spending no more than $650 including tax/shipping. I do prefer parts from reputable companies. These parts I've picked are gonna run me $630 all in. I'm not concerned about a hard drive or sound card right now. Those I can wait on.

My thoughts: I like the price of the motherboard and it has everything I want except firewire. Does anyone know of a comparable board with firewire for no more than $20 more? Should I get a better, more expensive power supply? Spending goal aside, should I buy WinXP x64?

Thanks in advance.

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
First off your current CPU and motherboard aren't that bad (the Northwood core is one of Intels best CPU's) so I would advise against spending $260 for a new CPU and motherboard that won't offer a major performance increase.
If I were you I would just use all that money to buy a new graphics card, more RAM and a better power supply. Of your $650 budget, you should spend about $400 on a good AGP video card (GeForce 6800 GS, X850 Pro or X800 GTO are all good), another 512MB Kingston Value RDRAM stick for dual channel with your current one, and $100+ on a good 450W+ power supply (anything by Antec is generally good, or read teh lasters THG PSU reviews).
I think this would be a mich better use of your money and the performance increase you would notice would be huge, especially in gaming. And if gaming isn't one of your priorities then your current system more than meets the requirements for office and internet work.
I hope my suggestions have helped

d3vNULL

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I should have mentioned that one of the reasons why I'm looking at doing this now and not several months from now is the fact that my dad wants to buy my motherboard, cpu, ram and video for $400.

Given that my net expenditure will be about $250, or perhaps even $300 with a better power supply, should I go ahead with these parts? Should I go for a better video card while I'm at it?

tenaciousleydead

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2004
get the venice 3200 as it has a 10x multiplier. get an antec 450watt for like 50? i know there are cheaper just as good mobos, look on newegg ive heard alot of good thing about the epox boards. then do some work and buy a better graphics card:D but if you want to stick to the bare minimum your build is fine. but if you can i definentally suggest a 6800GS instead of the vanilla 6800

DarkMarc

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
There seems to be some confusion. I'm talking Australian currency, over here a 7800GT would be around $550. Are these forums American, and everyone is using American currency?

judey

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I should have mentioned that one of the reasons why I'm looking at doing this now and not several months from now is the fact that my dad wants to buy my motherboard, cpu, ram and video for $400.

Given that my net expenditure will be about $250, or perhaps even $300 with a better power supply, should I go ahead with these parts? Should I go for a better video card while I'm at it?

When you are looking at powersupplies, you need to check the 12v rail specs. Get 20A or better. Some have dual 12V and have two 12V numbers, as long as they both add up to over 20A, you'll be fine. If you try to skimp, you will end of with a blank screen when you turn your computer on because your graphics card won't have enough power. You have to be careful with powersupplies these days...there's a lot of crap out there even from reputable companies.

definately get a 6800GS instead of the 6800 vanilla, you can turn the GS version into an ultra if you overclock it. talk about bang for your buck.