Streets and Trips 2005 w GPS on iPaq 3600 series

September 20, 2004 4:02:50 AM

Hi,

Has anyone had a problem with getting the Pharos GPS-360
GPS reciever to work with their iPaq3600(3630 to be
exact)?

I'm using the Pharos iGPS-360 CF adapter. After I
install Pocket Streets and Trips I go to Start->Programs-
>Pocket Streets. Once in the software I click on Menu-
>GPS->Configure Receiver and the hourglass(rotating pie
thing) just spins and spins. I have also tried
downloading "GPS JumpStart" from the Pharos website here:

http://download.pharosgps.com/download/free_download.ht...

I set it to COM4 per the instructions here:

http://www.pharosgps.com/support/faq-manufacturer3.htm
(click on the "My iGPS-CF is not getting any satellite
signals. How can check to make sure it is set up
properly?")

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:45:18 PM

A CF GPS need a clear view of the sky, so where are you trying this at? I
would suggest finding a large open field and trying it their. The greater
and clear view of the sky you have the better it will work IMHO.

--
David Hettel
Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
You assume all risks for your use.

"Neil" <neilwato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had a problem with getting the Pharos GPS-360
> GPS reciever to work with their iPaq3600(3630 to be
> exact)?
>
> I'm using the Pharos iGPS-360 CF adapter. After I
> install Pocket Streets and Trips I go to Start->Programs-
>>Pocket Streets. Once in the software I click on Menu-
>>GPS->Configure Receiver and the hourglass(rotating pie
> thing) just spins and spins. I have also tried
> downloading "GPS JumpStart" from the Pharos website here:
>
> http://download.pharosgps.com/download/free_download.ht...
>
> I set it to COM4 per the instructions here:
>
> http://www.pharosgps.com/support/faq-manufacturer3.htm
> (click on the "My iGPS-CF is not getting any satellite
> signals. How can check to make sure it is set up
> properly?")
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 12:45:19 PM

I'm trying it from Surprise Arizona. I've tried from
both inside and outside. When I connect the receiver to
my laptop it works just fine whether I'm inside or
outside. I've used it several times in my car etc. It's
only when I connect it to my iPAQ that it fails.

I did just take it (iPAQ) outside and stood in the middle
of my backyard and ran the "Configure Receiver" and the
same thing happened.

I think it is a problem with the iPAQ not being able to
communicate properly with the receiver but I'm not sure
what else I need to do in order for it to work. Any more
ideas?

Thanks for your reply.
Neil

contentid=449

>"Neil" <neilwato@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone had a problem with getting the Pharos GPS-
360
>> GPS reciever to work with their iPaq3600(3630 to be
>> exact)?
>>
>> I'm using the Pharos iGPS-360 CF adapter. After I
>> install Pocket Streets and Trips I go to Start-
>Programs-
>>>Pocket Streets. Once in the software I click on Menu-
>>>GPS->Configure Receiver and the hourglass(rotating pie
>> thing) just spins and spins. I have also tried
>> downloading "GPS JumpStart" from the Pharos website
here:

http://download.pharosgps.com/download/free_download.ht...

>> I set it to COM4 per the instructions here:
>>
>> http://www.pharosgps.com/support/faq-manufacturer3.htm
>> (click on the "My iGPS-CF is not getting any satellite
>> signals. How can check to make sure it is set up
>> properly?")
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Neil
>>

>.

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
September 20, 2004 6:40:58 PM

1st Soft Reset. Then use the Receiver Wizard. Can't help
with Streets, but I use the maps provided by Pharos. I
tend to have to soft reset after using the IPAQ doing
other tasks for sometime period of time.

Phil

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 10:19:16 PM

Neil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had a problem with getting the Pharos GPS-360
> GPS reciever to work with their iPaq3600(3630 to be
> exact)?
>
> I'm using the Pharos iGPS-360 CF adapter. After I
> install Pocket Streets and Trips I go to Start->Programs-
>> Pocket Streets. Once in the software I click on Menu-
>> GPS->Configure Receiver and the hourglass(rotating pie
> thing) just spins and spins. I have also tried
> downloading "GPS JumpStart" from the Pharos website here:
>
> http://download.pharosgps.com/download/free_download.ht...
>
> I set it to COM4 per the instructions here:
>
> http://www.pharosgps.com/support/faq-manufacturer3.htm
> (click on the "My iGPS-CF is not getting any satellite
> signals. How can check to make sure it is set up
> properly?")
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Neil

Have you tried a soft-reset to ensure nothing else is using the COM Port?

--
Darren Griffin
PocketGPSWorld - www.pocketgpsworld.com

Hi Phil,

I have tried a soft reset. I didn't get copy of Pharos'
Receiver Wizard. I don't see that as a download on the
Pharos site. Do you know where I might get a copy of
that? Was it something that came with your receiver?

Thanks,
Neil

!